Toyota balking at engine warranty for RTV in oil pickup on GR86

Imagine that, a problem with a Toyota. ;)
6owbhx.jpg

Boom:

Glad to see Toyota do the right thing regardless of the letter of the warranty - this is 100% related to a manufacturer issue, not using the car in an autocross event. Sell performance cars and tout their track-worthyness? Need to step up to the plate for this kind of thing on a stock car.

Last edited:
If you modify the engine...yes...Toyota isn't on the hook but on a stock car? Interesting to see that overseas track evens like this or HPDEs don't impact the warranty claim process on non-modified cars.

Wrc cars you can search for prices, also the cost per mile, not only fuel....is ~10x of a normal car.

But this is engineered to drive pedal to metal nonstop....

these civil "sports cars" are too weak

Wrc cars you can search for prices, also the cost per mile, not only fuel....is ~10x of a normal car.

But this is engineered to drive pedal to metal nonstop....

these civil "sports cars" are too weak
Most performance-orientate street cars should be able to/can easily handle an autocross or HPDE without drama. Hell, a lot of folks drive harder/push the car further on a public road.

Last edited:
Just found this better photo - I couldn't really see what was going on with the others.
That's a lot of stuff. Now I want to scope the wife's knocky 2.5L out in the driveway.

I just read the term "drifting" If I was a zone rep, I would want to deny that. Or at least a slap and then a 1/2 baked offer to "help" on repairs.
FWjD3_mVUAASZ2m.jpg

Last edited:
Just found this better photo - I couldn't really see what was going on with the others.
That's a lot of stuff. Now I want to scope the wife's knocky 2.5L out in the driveway.

I just read the term "drifting" If I was a zone rep, I would want to deny that. Or at least a slap and ther a 1/2 baked offer to "help" on repairs.
Even if that was the case, how does that differ in anyway specifically to this issue at hand (too much RTV/blocking oil pickup) vs. any other type of driving? I can do donuts in a parking lot when it snows - so donuts cause this but pushing 1 g in a corner on a mountain road won't? Toyota did the right thing and the zone rep should have spent more time looking into it vs. just the somewhat typical "VOID VOID VOID". You want to sell these kinds of cars then you need to be better on the warranty side. Modified the engine? VOID VOID VOID for sure.

Most performance-orientate street cars should be able to/can easily handle an autocross or HPDE without drama. Hell, a lot of folks drive harder/push the car further on a public road.
What is actually different on sport badge car vs normal?
I have bad feeling it's just low profile tyres and harsher suspension.
Quite opposite of real racing machines.

What is actually different on sport badge car vs normal?
I have bad feeling it's just low profile tyres and harsher suspension.
Quite opposite of real racing machines.
That's usually about it - firmer suspension and maybe summer tires, maybe larger brakes etc.

Marketing be marketing. Just like how every Subaru commercial shows their cars driving off the unbeaten path. When the CVT burns up from going up a small dirt hill, they will deny the warranty claim.

Read the fine print on this.

Warranty denied

Even if that was the case, how does that differ in anyway specifically to this issue at hand (too much RTV/blocking oil pickup) vs. any other type of driving? I can do donuts in a parking lot when it snows - so donuts cause this but pushing 1 g in a corner on a mountain road won't? Toyota did the right thing and the zone rep should have spent more time looking into it vs. just the somewhat typical "VOID VOID VOID". You want to sell these kinds of cars then you need to be better on the warranty side. Modified the engine? VOID VOID VOID for sure.
Definitely a rock and a hard place for Toyota and the zone rep. due to the manufacturing defect
and then the BIG social media outcry.

But what if there was no RTV in the pickup? Claim D-E-N-I-E-D ! Boom, case closed.

Also, what happened to Lemon law arbitration? Does it exist in the Victim's State?

Another Question - Why is the zone rep from the regional Toyota distributor? - conflict of interest there I would think.

Definitely a rock and a hard place for Toyota and the zone rep. due to the manufacturing defect
and then the BIG social media outcry.

But what if there was no RTV in the pickup? Claim D-E-N-I-E-D ! Boom, case closed.

Also, what happened to Lemon law arbitration? Does it exist in the Victim's State?

Another Question - Why is the zone rep from the regional Toyota distributor? - conflict of interest there I would think.
Lemon law is typically only the same issue a certain number of times within a certain time frame or a single warranty issue that puts the vehicle out of service for a period of time (1 mos. or so).

Marketing be marketing. Just like how every Subaru commercial shows their cars driving off the unbeaten path. When the CVT burns up from going up a small dirt hill, they will deny the warranty claim.

Read the fine print on this.

Warranty denied
Fine print

"..* Valid in U.S. only. For qualified drivers over 18 years of age, with a valid driver’s license. Participation in high performance driving creates a risk of personal injury or death and may cause damage to your vehicle that is not covered by your insurance or warranty. Please refer to your insurance policy and your vehicle’s Warranty and Maintenance Guide that describes the terms and conditions of Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage as well as general owner responsibilities.."

True but Toyota can't get away with denying a claim on something unrelated to the event. They can try but if it's truly a manufacturing defect then the numbers game favors the owners.

Mitsubishi did the same thing years with their high end EVOs, or whatever they were called. Mitsubishi would send people to tracks days and take pictures of their cars while on track, preparing to decline any warranty claims that might arise.

What's next? Automakers declining sound system warranty claims because the car has seen WOT?

Scott
Or maybe WOB (wide open bass):D

Fine print

"..* Valid in U.S. only. For qualified drivers over 18 years of age, with a valid driver’s license. Participation in high performance driving creates a risk of personal injury or death and may cause damage to your vehicle that is not covered by your insurance or warranty. Please refer to your insurance policy and your vehicle’s Warranty and Maintenance Guide that describes the terms and conditions of Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage as well as general owner responsibilities.."

True but Toyota can't get away with denying a claim on something unrelated to the event. They can try but if it's truly a manufacturing defect then the numbers game favors the owners.
The challenge is always simply that they can deny it and then it becomes your problem if you want to persue it legally and even then...they have more/better lawyers and SMEs to fight you.

Back