Towing with a Maverick

Sorry, this isn't a long drawn-out review like I did for my Ranger, but thought at least one or two people would like to see a Maverick hooked up to a trailer.

Mom stopped by Georgia on her way to PA (From AZ) and had the truck absolutely stacked full of stuff to the point where she barely had room inside for herself, and she still needed to load a few things from my place to take with her, so I convinced her that $94 to rent a trailer would be a whole lot more comfortable for the trip. It is the 4x8 model on my old 2" drop hitch.

(For anyone interested in the back story. Mom is a saint. She's got an 85+-year-old uncle that lives in AZ who doesn't really have anyone to take care of him and just had a health issue that required him to be put in long-term (IE, probably until he dies in a year or so) care. Mom drove out there, got his health care arranged, and loaded up all of the stuff that he's giving to the family to be toted back to PA. She's just that kind of person, and she's retired with not a lot better to do, so...why not?)

She's reporting to me about 19-20mpg so far, which is about what I'd expect from the truck. It will probably be a little less the further she goes as there are some decent hills to climb here and there on her route. I think this is probably the first time she's ever pulled a trailer in her life, but she's telling me that she thinks everything is going just fine. The truck seems to be driving well and she's not said that there's anything bugging her about the experience.

Hers is the 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with 4k tow package. She's well under 2000# currently. The trailer is 850# according to Uhaul and there's no way there's more than 5-700# of stuff in it.

She bought the truck the 3rd week of May from my buddy at the local Ford dealer (That was the only way we felt comfortable doing it and that we weren't going to get hosed on the deal.) Left my house, drove to AZ, and then drove back to my place a few days ago. 4700 miles on the truck in less than a month, and yes I changed the oil when she got back to my place.

Yes, the chains appear to be on the ground, they're not, she's got plenty of clearance.

IMG_20220627_171231846_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220627_171606247_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That's great mileage for pulling a trailer. It's amazing such a small truck will pull so much and get that kind of mileage. I wouldn't mind a truck like that for pulling my boat 3 miles to the boat dock. I would have to have a 4x4 though.

That's great mileage for pulling a trailer. It's amazing such a small truck will pull so much and get that kind of mileage. I wouldn't mind a truck like that for pulling my boat 3 miles to the boat dock. I would have to have a 4x4 though.
I'd think the AWD would do a decent enough job with that, although I haven't looked to see how much power that system will put to the rear of the truck. I'd imagine it would go 50/50 since its the same powertrain they're using in the Bronco Sports and AWD Escapes, but I won't swear to that number.

Back