Value of 2006 Corolla?

Is that strut tower rust that I see in that picture?
corolla_02.jpg

I, too, think they are excellent vehicles. More than ten years ago I searched out and bought a 2005 Corolla LE for daughter no. 2. Still has it and it still drives really nicely. Typical Toyota Corolla... slightly less refined engine than my '97 Civic EX, definitely more refined automatic than my Civic EX.

Having said this, my '99 Corolla with exactly the same transmission has had a noisy final drive gear for the last 30,000 miles. That is not an unknown malady for the A245E (??) automatic... Isn't getting worse though. My '99 Corolla has about 125,000 miles.
I had a '99 that made it 295K before it dropped a valve. The suspension was way too soft on that car, other than that, good car. The next gen Corollas had a MUCH better suspension...

Remember the odometer stops working at 299,999 miles. Then you have to keep track with the two trip meters. PA state inspection may have failed the car for rust. What did she get as a replacement?
Yep, my odo has been displaying 299,999 for several years now...

Discovered this is actually a 2005 with 294k. It has almost new Yokohamas, all fluids are perfect, recent coolant flush, trans fluid and oil change...all are full and look new, gauges are surprisingly nice. Now for the bad...air bag light is on, you can see a little rust on the quarters and rockers, the rust on the strut tower is a little worse than I thought (I can feel the metal is soft when I really push on it) and that battery is 4 years old and looks sketch. I'm not concerned about the rust since it is now in the desert, but it probably would have only lasted another winter or two back in PA.

n3y3ais.jpg

JOCWMO6.jpg

VYMtcAl.jpg

gwtNR7H.jpg
I can't believe it still has the wheel covers on...a couple of mine fell off so I took them all off. Your headlight lenses are still pretty clear too, I have to polish mine to keep them looking this good...

I had a '99 that made it 295K before it dropped a valve. The suspension was way too soft on that car, other than that, good car. The next gen Corollas had a MUCH better suspension...
But the , '99 gen Corolla had absolutely horrible, unacceptable, cr*p steering. Toyota's first- and absolutely terrible electric power steering.

Last edited:
I try 'real hard not to be opinionated and try not to state my opinions as facts, but I'm passionately anti EPS, at least for not
-excellent examples of these systems!

Last edited:
Is that strut tower rust that I see in that picture?
View attachment 64213

Yes it is. She touched it up with touch up paint and got an estimate to get it fixed, honest body guy told her it wasn't worth fixing. I quickly looked at it in May and told her it was bad but didn't realize how bad until I got it here and took that picture. I could stick a screwdriver through that...but the rest is solid and I don't think it's a safety issue as is.

The $64000 question... does the A/C blow cold?

It blows cool, probably could used topped off. It's been a little cooler here with an active monsoon season so it keeps up with temps around 105 and some cloud cover. Tinted windows would help as well. Beater status for sure!

I can't believe it still has the wheel covers on...a couple of mine fell off so I took them all off. Your headlight lenses are still pretty clear too, I have to polish mine to keep them looking this good...

Oh she has bought more replacement wheel covers for this thing than I can count...even sent two spares with the car!

Remember the odometer stops working at 299,999 miles. Then you have to keep track with the two trip meters. PA state inspection may have failed the car for rust. What did she get as a replacement?

PA is happy until 5/22...but this old bomb will never make it back to the commonwealth.

cpY23k4.jpg

I know what a 9th generation Corolla is worth because I still drive one as a commuter and frequent NYC with no worries about people hitting it because the bodywork is already wrecked. Your car is 5x better condition vs. my 180k mile beater. Mine is truly a $500 car so in my opinion yours is more like $1750 +/-. The strut tower and airbag light is the biggest issue.

I’m so surprised no one even mentioned donating the car as that’s what I will be doing next year. Maybe claim it’s worth $1k for tax purposes.

It blows cool, probably could used topped off. It's been a little cooler here with an active monsoon season so it keeps up with temps around 105 and some cloud cover. Tinted windows would help as well. Beater status for sure!
The A/C on those Corollas doesn't blow really cold when the outside temp reaches 100 or more, they never did, even when they were new. But, IMO it would be worth putting gauges on it to see if it needs a little shot of freon.
As others have said, your biggest problems with this car (besides the miles) are the airbag light and rust (in Texas it would flunk the yearly safety inspection for the airbag light). Because of those two problems, I'm going to say $1800-$1900. I would start a little higher and negotiate down if necessary. The cold A/C and used car market situation elevates it above the $500-$1000 status.

Yes, zip ties on the wheel covers in case anyone missed that. OEM replacements aren't cheap either so well worth it. I lost two of them. The factory ones have cutouts for the lug nuts unlike most aftermarket ones that have fake chrome bolts on there.

Back