Top Tier fuels, I think they work

As far as I know, that would be required to have the EPA minimum. However, the places where I've seen e85 it was specifically noted as being "unbranded" or of a specific brand. For example, there's a Valero station near me, but the E85 pumps are separate and note that they're marketed by a company called Propel Fuels.

Not sure what happens with some places that sell branded E85 like Shell where the company is considered Top Tier. However, E85 isn't marketed as "gasoline" so that might not require anything beyond the EPA minimum.

My understanding is that ethanol is in itself a great cleaner in the fuel system and that there usually is not much detergent added to it.

Buying fuel from branded stations (Shell, Exxon, 76, Phillips 66, Marathon) used to have a better chance of top tier fuels. Not sure it matters much now. Sheets sales lower tier fuel around my area. The last refuel there caused spark knocking and surging. Our Harris Teeter fuel doesn’t cause that.

My understanding is that ethanol is in itself a great cleaner in the fuel system and that there usually is not much detergent added to it.
EPA requires a minimum amount of detergents regardless of E0/E10-15. E85 can have detergents but they have to be compatible, some of the gasoline based ones have solubility issues in ethanol.

Last edited:
I use Costco since it’s top tier and cheaper than the non branded gasoline anyway.

In 2007 when I said I filled up my new 335i at Costco, one person said, “people like you don’t deserve a bmw.” That response got tons of likes.

Then eventually costco became top tier and the noise went away 😂

Old thread.

Couple of things that I have noticed the last few years. The Top Tier stickers seem to have vanished off the pumps I use. I mostly use Harris Teeter gas because of the rewards and it works just fine. Harris Teeter by us, central NC, use BP which was once listed on the Top Tier site but is no longer. Probably stopped paying for the status (license), but did not change the detergents in the fuel as it works just fine. No additional fuel cleaner in either vehicle in about three years.

Many years ago fuel companies advertised how beneficial it was to use THEIR fuels as they had the best detergent cleaning package. People cared about the fuel. I believe that is no longer the case, no ads or stickers on the pumps. People don't care, they buy what's cheapest. Sign of the times.

garyo

Last edited:
So, I had been using a generic gas, mostly Hess and Speedway for many years because of the reward points. I notice that on the car, Mazda GDI turbo that I had to run FI cleaner through it about every 6 months because I noticed a rough idle and slight hesitation. After a couple of tanks with the cleaner all back to normal. Then a couple of years ago I got a new truck, Chevy GDI and got better fuel rewards at a station that had Top Tier fuels. I took both the car and the new truck there and have not needed to add any FI cleaner, it’s been almost two years. Both vehicles, Mazda 196K and the Chevy 18K run great and have not noticed a rough idle or hesitation or any other symptoms of slightly clogged injectors. They both run great. So, I do believe that the Top Tier fuels work as intended. I will continue to use them. Anybody else?

garyoNC
TT only.

When I have no rewards points from anyone, I buy from Phillips 66 stations. Probably 3 to 4 times a year.

This is Phillips 66 country.

I'm in western Canada, and use about 90% Chevron gas, occasionally Shell, Petro Canada, Esso, or something else.
I filled up at costco only once, and my Accord ran so badly, I swore never again. When I switched it back to Chevron it ran well again. Gas prices are pretty much all fixed here, there isn't really a price difference.
If there is any price difference at all between stations, it's maybe 1 cent a liter at the most, so price shopping is irrelevant.

Back