To EV or not to EV

I mean everything has its drawbacks and the power company does their balancing of production based on need, so I’m sure it come out in the wash. It’s obviously not perfect but is an option in use. I’ve seen solar here in spots, but most are on homes. I know of two actual solar farms in my area. I can’t see a fault in diversifying power production.
Well, diversifying for the sake of diversifying is spending money unnecessarily, which then increases rates, so there needs to be a benefit. Fossil fuel interests build wind turbines to take advantage of the REC's and other subsidy schemes, and then are able to capitalize on the higher market rates that appear when it isn't windy, so they are winning on both ends. It fractionally reduces emissions, but doesn't achieve deep decarbonization.

Now, there are situations where wind turbines work, such as paired with large reservoir hydro to the extent that hold-backs improve the generating profile of the reservoir system. Of course too much and you have to spill, as reservoir capacity is limited, but this balance of pairing can be complimentary.

The only thing that holds back wind power production in the US is transmission capacity.
Have you been reading Jacobson?

Transmission and over-build requirements at a scale that this is useful is insanely expensive. Say you've got no wind in California, but it's windy in Maine, are you going to have 7GW of spare wind capacity to send to Cali, and have a massive triple 500KV corridor that connects Maine to Cali?

Wind capacity is limited by its usefulness. It's well-suited to displace gas on a gas-dominated grid, but that value tanks if it's eating into clean baseload like nuclear and hydro. The duration of its lulls also make it ill-suited to pair with storage.

We can get into it this further if you'd like.

Have you been reading Jacobson?

Transmission and over-build requirements at a scale that this is useful is insanely expensive. Say you've got no wind in California, but it's windy in Maine, are you going to have 7GW of spare wind capacity to send to Cali, and have a massive triple 500KV corridor that connects Maine to Cali?

Wind capacity is limited by its usefulness. It's well-suited to displace gas on a gas-dominated grid, but that value tanks if it's eating into clean baseload like nuclear and hydro. The duration of its lulls also make it ill-suited to pair with storage.

We can get into it this further if you'd like.
Thats the whole problem with wind. It works when it wants and where it wants. The wind energy simps ignore the fact that to make effective use of more than 20% to 30% of electricity coming form every dollar spent on wind at least another dollar needs to be spent on transmission upgrades.
In the beginning when there was only a little bit of wind power on the grid it was great, it was just free energy, all the numbers I see are based on that assumption.
When I hear "uh mu battery storage" those battery storage facilities last 2 to 8 hours but wind power goes on hiatus for 8 to 48 hours at a time, randomly. Usually it's 12 to 24 hrs at a time. That means it's time for the real power plants to do work.

1690573651226.jpg

Thats the whole problem with wind. It works when it wants and where it wants. The wind energy simps ignore the fact that to make effective use of more than 20% to 30% of electricity coming form every dollar spent on wind at least another dollar needs to be spent on transmission upgrades.
In the beginning when there was only a little bit of wind power on the grid it was great, it was just free energy, all the numbers I see are based on that assumption.
When I hear "uh mu battery storage" those battery storage facilities last 2 to 8 hours but wind power goes on hiatus for 8 to 48 hours at a time, randomly. Usually it's 12 to 24 hrs at a time. That means it's time for the real power plants to do work.
Try two weeks ;)

Updated 2019 wind lull.jpg

Haha simps. Think you're clever don't you?

Whatever you say. I know a lot of people with high mileage VWs and I drive a VW too.
Yeah I used to also, never will again.
Unless it's air cooled.
Funny how I say "pay the vw tax" and you seem to know exactly what I'm talking about. But it never gives you any problems, mmm hmmmm.

Last edited:
Yeah I used to also, never will again.
Unless it's air cooled.
Funny how I say "pay the vw tax" and you seem to know exactly what I'm talking about. But it never gives you any problems, mmm hmmmm.
What would I think you would mean saying that? You could say that about any brand it would mean the same thing. "mmm hmmmm."

That's an excellent example of where they never should have put wind turbines. I'm in an excellent wind production area and the longest they are out for is around 2 days and maybe 3 nights.
Either way grid batteries are comically useless.
Tell me about it, but we've got folks (advocacy groups) crowing for more of what doesn't work here.

Tell me about it, but we've got folks (advocacy groups) crowing for more of what doesn't work here.
Wind tuebines not producing for 2 weeks at a time is like putting solar panels in Maine where they go 3 weeks at a time with heavy overcast sky's during the fall, winter and spring, in addition to the days the panels stay covered with snow.

Wind tuebines not producing for 2 weeks at a time is like putting solar panels in Maine where they go 3 weeks at a time with heavy overcast sky's during the fall, winter and spring, in addition to the days the panels stay covered with snow.
Yep, this is how our IESO views solar:
Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 7.37.28 PM.jpg

I just can’t understand the big deal with EVs. How can they be good for the environment with solar farms destroying the environment?
It isn't always good for the environment but it can be, depends on how you use it and what you compare it to:

vs a big gas car with the same torque in traffic jam, they are way better, more comfortable, can charge at home and at work, and doesn't use much battery in traffic jam other than the AC.

vs a hybrid, they are slightly better if you can charge at home and your grid is cleaner (hydro power, solar farm in desert, roof top solar, etc), but not if you are burning diesel in a generator to charge your EV.

Some places on earth does not have enough oil but lots of electricity, while others can be opposite. I haven't seen too many Tesla in Taiwan or Japan but lots of them in Hong Kong and China. Taiwan and Japan has electricity shortage but China has serious national security issue if US decide to blockade oil import from sea.

Back