Rental Car review 22 Jeep Compass

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So I will say this one has 42,000 miles on it and lives in New England I have had a lot of rentals this year. A Colorado, Mustang, Escape, Camary, Sportage, a few Cadillacs and a Jetta.

This thing makes me miss my 2002 Jetta TDi. Most here know how I felt about that.
The worst rental I have had this year.
Loud, turning 1500 rpms sounds like 3000. I keep looking at RPMs to see if it has shifted. It is supposed to have 200 HP. I am not sure I agree. I hit the gas it just gets louder, not faster.
Lots of body roll, marginal brakes. Not very roomy for it's size. Worst start/stop I have ever driven.
It has a horrible rattle from the front passenger side. I think it is a ball joint or a LCA. I will chalk that up to being a rental car in the Northeast. I would bring it back but don't want to sit at Avis for 3 hours, however I don't think it should be that bad at 42,000 miles. I only need it to get back to Logan, so an hour drive.

It does have easy to read gages uConnect is easy to use and it has a pretty good turning radius.

Maybe it is better from new, but it is certainly not my thing. I'm trying to be objective, but I'm not sure I could live with it. The Escape and Sportage were better.

Your rental is my perception of all Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles. My perception may very well be erroneous, but that is why I stay far away from FCA/Stellantis products.

But on the bright side, although the Jeep drove like dudie, you did get to have a vehicle with a flashy painted tow how, likely the number one reason someone buys a Jeep Compass.

Visiting the East Coast, eh? [Working, visiting, whatever.] How are the roads, and more importantly, are you enjoying our fine MA drivers? :cool:
I grew up in Catskill, NY. My family now lives in Wesport, MA. My brother in law was in the Navy with me. That is how he met my sister. My mom and dad live with them. I love the east coast...the roads however could use some work. Lol. I get out here a few times a year. You now know half of my life story...sorry.

I grew up in Catskill, NY. My family now lives in Wesport, MA. My brother in law was in the Navy with me. That is how he met my sister. My mom and dad live with them. I love the east coast...the roads however could use some work. Lol. I get out here a few times a year. You now know half of my life story...sorry.
The real question- what did you eat? Many awesome independent/ family-owned restaurants in that area. Anytime I work in that area I eat very, very well.

I had a similar experience with a Jeep rental years ago. The start stop was annoying until I figured out how to cancel it.

Example, pulling up to parallel park the engine would shut off then I shifted into reverse which restarted it again. When I stopped before straightening out it would shut off again only to restart when I shifted into D. It was way too quick to shut off.

My rental was a Patriot.

Still sounds better than the CR-V I returned a few hours ago. Some you hate to return, others you can't wait to dump off.

Your rental is my perception of all Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles. My perception may very well be erroneous
I see all brands, most with quite a few miles on them. I would have no problem spending my money on Ram, before GM or Ford pick ups. As for SUVs, I would buy the Grand Cherokee WK and Durango.
Wranglers, people love them even though they can get expensive with electrical gremlins, and front suspensions.
As for the Compass, hoping the Hornet will do better, time will tell.

I see all brands, most with quite a few miles on them. I would have no problem spending my money on Ram, before GM or Ford pick ups. As for SUVs, I would buy the Grand Cherokee WK and Durango.
Wranglers, people love them even though they can get expensive with electrical gremlins, and front suspensions.
As for the Compass, hoping the Hornet will do better, time will tell.

I'd probably go GM for a pickup, but tough to beat the JGC and Durango for a real SUV.

Ended up putting about 300 miles on this. I can say it was fairly comfortable and with the rattle fixed and new tires it would be better. One thing of note is the gas tank is small. Other than that it got the job done. I just think there are better options out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
CVT with fake shifts?
Its really a Fiat Jeep rebel rebodied and no longer made in Italy but Mexico. It doesnt have a CVT but a high gear count AT. Depending on engine it could have a MultiAir GEA variant which is throttless - it varies air ingestion by variable valve lift and timing and phasing.

Likely One of the worst choices on the market. I was considering a Jeep Rebel for the wife after they had been out a year, glad we didn't get one.

I looked it said 8 speed.
is this a new product or did they just disable the 9th gear in the zf-9 speed? Havent heard anything about an 8 speed for traverse layout... but I dont really pay attention to compass anything.
IIRC the engine if you got the 2.0 is a detuned 2.0 the cherokee came with. 70less ft-lb 70 less hp.

I always thought the 270hp/295tq 2.0 was abit spicy for a jeep product at 135hp/liter

Back