TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I was wondering is it better to run out oil to the max or change it more often. I read where it is not so good to change oil to often, your comments are welcomed, thanks.

Although I'm a newbie on the forums I'm pretty sure most will tell you that whoever told you that its not good to change oil often is on crack!

Its always a good thing to change oil often but only a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) will tell you the optimum OCI. Doing so will save you money in the long run.

Do a search here on extended OCI's. There is a thread running right now on it. The SAE did a study on cam wear and noted that fresh oil had a "Scavenging Effect" that increased wear. There are tomes of UOAs here that provide anecdotal evidence to support that as well.

Who bogarted my pipe?...

+1 for laminar. Several studies have indicated that new oil needs some running time to do its best. The first tests were preformed by the US military. They needed some answers with real data. Subsequence studies demonstrated that the military data was correct.

Quote:

Although I'm a newbie on the forums I'm pretty sure most will tell you that whoever told you that its not good to change oil often is on crack!

Its always a good thing to change oil often but only a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) will tell you the optimum OCI. Doing so will save you money in the long run.

Not everyone. Read this thread on the VW forums. Apparently there is some evidence that changing oil too early can have more adverse affects than previously thought.

Fordexxp,

Does your Ford have an Oil computer? If so, I would follow it. If you are really uneasy about following it, you could send the oil into a lab to verify that the computer is working for you. However, I have found that the OLMs (Oil Life Monitors) still have some margin built into their formulas (by using used oil analysis).

Please specify if you are talking about a high quality synthetic or just plain old dino. I have a feeling you need frequent changes on dino simply because their TBN runs out quicker. Extended OCI is fine if you are talking PAO grp 1V synthetic... Correct me if I am wrong.

I have a 04 ford expy wih the 5.4 I am running 5w30 val durablend , I have tried most oils on the market 5w20s 5w30s this oil seems to make the least amount of piston slap noise at start up.

Quote:

Hello, I was wondering is it better to run out oil to the max or change it more often. I read where it is not so good to change oil to often, your comments are welcomed, thanks.

That is a very VAGUE question. You didn't list the vehicle type, the driving conditions the vehicle is subjected to, the mileage on the vehicle, the manufacturer's recommended viscosity grade, the current oil that's in the crankcase, the mileage on the current oil.

Without that information, I'm not able to make my armchair recommendation.
tounge2.gif

My bad, its an 2004 ford expy 5.4 5w20 rec oil do some towing 4000lb boat and live in florida. Mileage on veh is 63000 currently running 5w30 val durablend love this oil. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back