How often to change the oil in my WRX

My 21 WRX told me today it was due for an oil change I last changed it 12/28/23. I used amsoil 5w40. I've gone 2666 miles. Would you change it now or go longer? The car is stage 1 tuned and I drive it fairly hard. What do you guys think? If I'm only going to go 3k miles or so in 6 months should I even run amsoil? Maybe switch to something else more widely available and change it every 3k? Obviously these engines like to blow up so I'm not trying to press my luck by doing the longest oil change ever. Thanks everyone!

If it's a daily driver and you're only doing 5k/year due to short tripping, a 3k OCI isn't unreasonable. If you're not doing a lot of short trips, 6k / 1 year would be fine, which is what I do with my 2015 WRX. I'd stick with 6 month OCIs until the power train warranty expires though, just to avoid potential warranty issues.

I'd use something cheaper than the Amsoil. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 would be a good choice if you want to stick with a thicker euro grade.

If I don't reach a certain mileage that I have set for my OCI, it gets changed at 6 months regardless. Turbo's, GDI, short trips, driven hard,...it's hard on oil. Changing your oil twice a year is cheap in the long run. 🍻
Not as cheap as changing your oil less often. Too frequent oil changes can really add up to a lot of money over many decades.

Amsoil is a excellent oil ,I would use the 5w-30 XL and change out around 6 mo. or 5k and a Fram ultra filter.

Not as cheap as changing your oil less often. Too frequent oil changes can really add up to a lot of money over many decades.

If spending $50-70 (using a top-tier oil and filter) on an oil change every 6 months to insure your engine's longevity is going to break the bank, you have bigger problems to worry about.
In the great scheme of things, $100-140 a year isn't very much at all. It may end up being cheaper in the long run if the plan is to keep the car for a long time.

I would change it out at 4k-4500 miles or in the fall. Get an analysis at that time and that will give you some direction as far as a suitable interval. I don't see a need to change it out right now. Using Amsoil for a 3k change is way overkill to me.

If spending $50-70 (using a top-tier oil and filter) on an oil change every 6 months to insure your engine's longevity is going to break the bank, you have bigger problems to worry about.
In the great scheme of things, $100-140 a year isn't very much at all. It may end up being cheaper in the long run if the plan is to keep the car for a long time.

I simply don't like wasting money needlessly. I stopped doing 3k oil changes 20+ years ago so I've saved a considerable amount of money (a few thousand easily) and also haven't had a single engine issue. So tell me again what 3k oil changes would have done for me. Absolutely nothing but lighten my wallet. I don't have a problem with money because I don't waste it on things like 3k oil changes. I'm 54, retired, and have zero debt.

Also, if I was doing 3k oil changes on both of my cars right now I'd be doing a total of 10 oil changes a year. Not very convenient considering I have to drive to my father's house to do oil changes these days (I live in a condo) With my longer ocis I'm only doing 3 oil changes per year now (1 on the Corvette and 2 on the Honda)

My 21 WRX told me today it was due for an oil change I last changed it 12/28/23. I used amsoil 5w40. I've gone 2666 miles. Would you change it now or go longer? The car is stage 1 tuned and I drive it fairly hard. What do you guys think? If I'm only going to go 3k miles or so in 6 months should I even run amsoil? Maybe switch to something else more widely available and change it every 3k? Obviously these engines like to blow up so I'm not trying to press my luck by doing the longest oil change ever. Thanks everyone!
It asked for a service and your questioning it 🤔 💭? You have bolt ons also? Change it. Probably change the transmission fluid too depending on of its cvt or mtl. I would change it to be safe.

It asked for a service and your questioning it 🤔 💭? You have bolt ons also? Change it. Probably change the transmission fluid too depending on of its cvt or mtl. I would change it to be safe.
Questioning it because it said so at such a low mileage. Cold air intake is the only bolt on for the engine. Transmission is a manual.

Back