Tire choice 2016 Lexus es 350

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Jimzz
The Kumho are more performance based while the Hankook are a ultra longlife touring tire.

So both are good tires. If you drive a lot and want long life then get the Hankooks. If you drive a little less and are ok with lower lifespan and/or want better performance then get the Kumhos.

The Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 someone linked to above also look good. Little better life than the PA51 but more performance than the Hankooks. Good middle of the road of those 2.

Kumho is absolute garbage. That is only way to describe them.

Yeah. I dropped that idea. I remembered having them on our 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero. I don't think they lasted a year.
The Generals look pretty good and they will be mount Monday.

You did fine with the AltiMAX RT43, not to worry!

I just drove my daughter's Civic, in which we've just put on the RT43 in March. The RT43 are quiet, just not as hushed as the MXV4's.

I had the MXV4's on the Altima in my signature(215-55-17 93V) just like your ES. I put on Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+. They're close to the MXV4s for le$$.

The RT43 are a nice tire. They should balanced nicely/easily for the installer. The tires track well on the highway, go around corners nicely too with good turn-in and absorb road bumps quite well for their price. You'll love'em in the torrential downpours of rain.

Do you use dedicated winter tires in PA? If not, the RT43 will still do well in most situations.

My daughter lives in Centre County(WE ARE!) and only because of her hilly & icey driving do I install AltiMAX Arctics for the winter. State College gets little snow but the icey, hilly roads require that extra grip to get going up those hills from a RED light or STOP sign. And stop shorter when traveling down hill with traffic in front of her.

The RT43s would do well in winter, but the Arctic's just do better!

Last edited:
"You'll love'em in the torrential downpours of rain." That was the deciding factor for the RT43s over the Pirellis.

No dedicated winter tires. But we've had a combination of SUV and sedan in our garage for the last 10 years. So one vehicle has always had AWD or 4WD for whatever winter throws at SE PA. It seems to work.
I only recall getting stuck in snow once and that was years ago at a PHL airport pay to park lot in Essington. Was driving a 1998 Volvo V-90 wagon then.

Very good!
smile.gif

The RT43 were on my list for the Altima(215-55-17) along with Continental Truecontact TOUR & Pirelli P7.

However, with having several Pirelli's in the past (P4 & P7) with GREAT SUCCESS and knowing what I was getting, along with the Tire Rack having my size on closeout(~$103/ea.), I chose the P7s. It was a no brainer for me right now.
No le$$er tire(even w/rebate) came close(in my size & speed rating) to the P7 for price right now.

With my daughter's Civic, we bought the RT43 locally which matched/beat anything online w/local install. And in her size(195-65-15), these were a no brainer as well. As were the RT43 a no brainer for my SIL's GMC Terrain AWD in her particular size(235-60-17). We all needed tires NOW so, it was a good time to buy.

In addition^^^, even though Pirelli P4s & P7s don't have as good of a showing in the wet(in terms of wet braking & wet soaked road course/cornering) against their direct competitors/category, in my experience, these Pirelli's are still a great tire and better than many including the OE Primacy MXV4s(a nice tire in its own right).

Once these new RT43s are mounted tomorrow, they'll be good on my wife's ES350 for years. We only put about 4-5000K/year on that car. So with regular rotations, they'll be fine. I'm mot a fan of Costco...not for tires. Their selection and prices suck. Waiting hours to get your tires mounted is not time well spent.
I've had nothing but stellar experience with Tire Rack and tossing some business to my local mechanic who is rock solid and very fair with pricing.
Costco has its place...not a huge fan and never understood the love affair some have with it.

Originally Posted by Toros
Once these new RT43s are mounted tomorrow, they'll be good on my wife's ES350 for years. We only put about 4-5000K/year on that car. So with regular rotations, they'll be fine. I'm mot a fan of Costco...not for tires. Their selection and prices suck. Waiting hours to get your tires mounted is not time well spent.
I've had nothing but stellar experience with Tire Rack and tossing some business to my local mechanic who is rock solid and very fair with pricing.
Costco has its place...not a huge fan and never understood the love affair some have with it.

Toros, I am right down the road in Kennett Square. I agree with you 100%. Been buying from Tirerack forever. Used to use Leader Sunoco for installation but now go to Willowdale Sunoco for convenience.

Because I am & we are BITOG members, I've come away with tire knowledge (among many other categories) that has scored me some fabulous tires for each of my vehicles, past & present. I have found tire web sites & local installers that I like and ones that I don't. And I have had very few tire purchase regrets due to this knowledge as compared to years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by artbuc

Toros, I am right down the road in Kennett Square. I agree with you 100%. Been buying from Tirerack forever. Used to use Leader Sunoco for installation but now go to Willowdale Sunoco for convenience.

Is Leader the one across from Hank's Place?

Originally Posted by artbuc
Is Leader the one across from Hank's Place?

Yep...Jim Leader.

Yeah. I noticed the Sunoco on Kennett Pike n Mendenhall closed up shop.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Please post your thoughts after installation. $381 is peanuts for 17" tires. Wow!

I'm wrong on the price. They were $452 out the door. Plus whatever my mechanic charges me for mounting and balancing.

Hehe... I have a 2014 GS350 and just did this, but I went a different direction. Tried both the DWS06 and Potenza RE980AS. Went with the Potenza. Will post separately.

Back