Suitable10,000 OCI choice for 2016 Lexus ES-350 (V6)

I've been using Costco Kirkland 0W-20 Full Synthetic and Fram Ultra at 5K OCI on my 2016 Lexus ES-350 with 70K mi. Planning to keep this car a long time but want to stretch out oil changes to 10K to save on time (money savings is a bonus). Haven't done any UOA on this car so hoping for some guidance on oil choices.

Well you already have a 20K Filter and the oil is likely the same as the Supertech 10K Synthetic so reality is what you are using would likely work but I'm assuming you are wanting a different option for oil (Can't do much better for the filter) just to avoid feeling like you are borderline.

Since that car holds 6.4 qt the 5 qt jugs and 6 qt boxes are a bit inconvenient. Mobil 1 is $53 for a 12 qt case at Walmart and would be perfectly adequate for 10,000 mi.

Spend some time perusing the UOAs on this site which is a valuable tool in choosing an oil that holds up Hint. You are asking what oil with out mentioning your operating conditions, The oil and filter you are using will do the job .

I have just went to Castrol Edge Full Syn and am doing 10k or 1yr service intervals on my truck. Meets all the Ford specs. I like the specs on this oil.

Provide information about the vehicle operating conditions. Frequency of idling in stop and go traffic? Short trips? High speed driving? City vs freeway miles? Less than 10K miles per year?

How long, or more important, how many miles will you keep it? I don't imagine any engine on 10K oil changes will be free of sludge at 200K or last to 300K.
I've seen plenty even at 10,0000 mi - 15,000 mi oci. It just requires the proper oil for the application. 7,500 mi changes on old school conventional tends to look a little cruddy at 300,000 mi.

Mobil 1™ Extended Performance 0W-20 is guaranteed for 20K miles so half of that should be a cinch. My '08 RAV with 3.5l V-6 is strictly 5w30 oddly enough, no back spec to 5 or 0W20.

I've been using Costco Kirkland 0W-20 Full Synthetic and Fram Ultra at 5K OCI on my 2016 Lexus ES-350 with 70K mi. Planning to keep this car a long time but want to stretch out oil changes to 10K to save on time (money savings is a bonus). Haven't done any UOA on this car so hoping for some guidance on oil choices.
Depends on service and your sumo capacity, (does it take 6 qts)but nothing is wrong with your current oil. I run it out to 10k in my Tacoma (5w30 Kirkland) but I usually accumulate 10 k in 5-6 month With no towing. I will deduct to 5k or 7500k i tow a lot or do a lot of off pavement.

100,000 miles. OCI at 7k miles or 10k mile OCI. Difference in minimal in terms of time spent over 6.6 years and money ($100, maybe $120, or $18 per year). Do what you want, but if you go with 10k mile OCI I'd change the filter at 5k miles.

100,000 miles. OCI at 7k miles or 10k mile OCI. Difference in minimal in terms of time spent over 6.6 years and money ($100, maybe $120, or $18 per year). Do what you want, but if you go with 10k mile OCI I'd change the filter at 5k miles.
5,000 mi change is a waste with an Ultra. They are perfectly fine when cut open after 20K on a Honda.

You got consider the fact that your vehicle has a 10,000 mile OCI. So a 0w20 that meets all the specs should be up to that. If your looking extra margin, then at least do a full synthetic. Even more, get an extended performance oil that does 15k to 20k mile OCI.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in our 4runner for 10k OCIs. Lots of good 10k UOAs on Toyota motors out there with this oil. Used a fram TG for 10k last change. But have left an XG on for full 20k before and it looked fine.

Last edited:
WOW @ all the OCD recommendations on this thread. Change a fram ultra half way through a 10k oci? 😂

Just stick to what you have. It’s likely plenty good. If you really care, just get a UOA for like 25 bucks to confirm and keep on truckin.

You got consider the fact that your vehicle has a 10,000 mile OCI. So a 0w20 that meets all the specs should be up to that. If your looking extra margin, then at least do a full synthetic. Even more, get an extended performance oil that does 15k to 20k mile OCI.
I think the manual says 7500 mi.

I'm only doing 12-15K per year so changing the oil and filter roughly 1x year would be ideal for me (I have 3 cars). Live in Northern FL, so not very cold and the heat is not as rough as southern FL. Combination of 70%/30% City/Highway. Sounds like the consensus is Kirkland is safe for 10K but Mobil EP 20K would easily fit the bill for 10K OCI.

They are perfectly fine when cut open after 20K on a Honda.
Then you go on with your 20k mile filter bad seff. I'm sure the warranty department of many new cars that call for 7500 oil and filter changes have a different opinion.

Back