Tipping at Fast Food Places

I do too, but I still get them turning around the POS terminal and it says to hit cash or debit or credit----I just tell the clerk that the tip is on table. NO problem with that. One time I had a clerk turn the POS around to me at an ice cream stand and she said that they don't have tables. I said correct therefore no tip. She just smiled:)

Plus I like to see the confused clerk try to make change at times when I give cash that is rounded up to the next dollar or so, most of them give dumbfounded looks.

You think is not in use anymore without any cash in circulation? Look around, it is in use in a lot of places.
Hey, everybody here makes fun of me when I say I get the newspaper delivered every day. Now I get to make fun of people paying cash. And no, cash hasn't disappeared, just like newspapers haven't.

I went to Germany first time for work a little over 20 years ago. No one tipped. When I asked my counterparts they told me that the staff makes a decent wage so no tip needed. If they do something over the top would be the only time anytone tipped, and would be very rare.

So the question would be - if the min wage is $20 / hour - why would any tip be "expected" ?
I heard about that when Sean Hannity went to Finland and did the show there. He was at a restaurant and couldn't understand the they didn't require a tip and the cost of the food and everything else is fixed into the price. I have paid generous for extraordinary service and dedication to the industry but most people nowadays don't have what it takes anymore. There's been a few steak houses and a few Japanese restaurants where the services Top Notch and I have no trouble paying a little extra although some of those places we frequent enough that they try to put us at the same table and that sort of deal.

This hole raising the cost of minimum wage has put the man who has the most to lose which are usually the owners out of business. I've always contended that there is a price point for people on this oil forum when it comes to paying for oil filters and everything else and for the majority of them over a certain amount is a Breaking Point and I have a feeling that for some of our states that feel that they matter more than the rest of us they are finding out that it's not all Green Pastures and white picket fences. When you raise the cost of everything you usually have to fire some people to break even.

I heard about that when Sean Hannity went to Finland and did the show there. He was at a restaurant and couldn't understand the they didn't require a tip and the cost of the food and everything else is fixed into the price. I have paid generous for extraordinary service and dedication to the industry but most people nowadays don't have what it takes anymore. There's been a few steak houses and a few Japanese restaurants where the services Top Notch and I have no trouble paying a little extra although some of those places we frequent enough that they try to put us at the same table and that sort of deal.

This hole raising the cost of minimum wage has put the man who has the most to lose which are usually the owners out of business. I've always contended that there is a price point for people on this oil forum when it comes to paying for oil filters and everything else and for the majority of them over a certain amount is a Breaking Point and I have a feeling that for some of our states that feel that they matter more than the rest of us they are finding out that it's not all Green Pastures and white picket fences. When you raise the cost of everything you usually have to fire some people to break even.
My limo driver (couple weeks back) said he picked up Tucker and his wife - and said, hey are you? Then TC says, yes I’m Sean Hannity - Driver said that was the first of many laughs heading out to a nice hilly ranch covered in blue bonnets and more …

Yeah, so I can pay with a card that returns 3%, $3 on a $100 ticket. That gets me the tip screen on the monitor. I can click no tip and get my food spit on, or I can give a $15, $20 tip. Or I can hand a $100 bill and take my 17 cents change and be done. I might still get my food spit on but since there wasn't a request for a tip that I denied it's at least less likely. And the $3 back doesn't nearly cover a tip. So cash is still the better option. YMMV

So is it the intention of the government of CA to put fast food places out of business? Why were fast food places singled out in the mandated minimum wage increase?

What's sad is the customers of the fast food places are going to get mad at the companies, when the companies are just doing what businesses do - respond to stupid voters.

The intention of the CA Government was not to put fast food places out of business. It was simply another method to buy votes. The demographics of fast food workers are those that are being pandered to by politicians in the most ways possible. There are now reports coming out that the bill to raise the minimum wage was negotiated pretty much behind closed doors between the SEIU union and the legislators. With representation by fast food franchise owners being pretty much shut out. And NDA's have been signed by the unions. So we don't know what kind of deals have been made and we likely won;t know how much in the way campaign contributions from said unions go to the legislators who crafted the bill.

I tip based on my experience there and the food quality. Since I havnt eaten yet than they don’t get a tip till I’m done or the next time I come in. And these days they better wow me with service or it’s a big zero tip.

Back