Tipping at Fast Food Places

The credit card and drive thru were both invented in the 1940’s and became mainstream and widely accepted in the 1950’s and 1960’s…
I'm not sure when it was invented, but McDonald's opened their first drive-thru in 1975 and touted it like it was a novelty from the future. I don't doubt there were others beforehand but once McDonald's opened theirs, the other chains followed soon after.

Credit cards at fast-food restaurants were much more recent.

I'm not sure when it was invented, but McDonald's opened their first drive-thru in 1975 and touted it like it was a novelty from the future. I don't doubt there were others beforehand but once McDonald's opened theirs, the other chains followed soon after.

Just as merchants are growing concerned with theft at self checkout, it happens at McDonald's today when a person uses the app to buy. They don't hand the order to the customer, they put it on the bookshelf. 2x our order was gone--mgr "remembered"an order for John. Nuts.

Drive thrus were common by the 50’s and 60’s even though McD’s didn’t jump on board until the 70’s…

Credit cards at fast food restaurants were common place by the late 80’s and 90’s… I wouldn’t necessarily call 30 years ago a “recent occurrence.” By that measure EFI is a recent technology.

Drive thrus were common by the 50’s and 60’s even though McD’s didn’t jump on board until the 70’s…

Credit cards at fast food restaurants were common place by the late 80’s and 90’s… I wouldn’t necessarily call 30 years ago a “recent occurrence.” By that measure EFI is a recent technology.

Well, whatever, I suppose we should consider a mostly-Southern California thing to be the mainstream in the 60s now. Like they say at Burger King (another 1975 drive-thru place), "Have it your way".

Well, whatever, I suppose we should consider a mostly-Southern California thing to be the mainstream in the 60s now. Like they say at Burger King (another 1975 drive-thru place), "Have it your way".
It is not about it being my way…

My initial comment was targeted at the “I’m from the not lazy generation” comment while scoffing at practices (drive-thru & credit cards) which has been common place for near half a century.

I'm from the not lazy generation. I park the car and turn it off, saving gasoline and my money, and walk inside places. I pay with cash which can't be hacked or cloned or otherwise scammed. I don't need the "convenience" of using a card for everything. I frequently tip at the chinese place we enjoy 3-4 times a month as they earn it with their service and food. Elsewhere it depends on mood and service. End "climate change", ban all drive-thrus.
My comments had nothing to do with when things were introduced, just the greater and greater laziness from one generation to the next. And how eliminating drive-thru would make a large contribution to reducing climate change.

My understanding, and I don't know from experience in 2023 as it's been a long time since I was a waiter, is that the server gets the full amount of the credit card tip. When I waited tables, the difference is that it became income. And subject to tax and SS.

If restaurants withhold or skim it, shame on them.

In many states it is illegal for managers/companies to take tips from workers actually making the sub, cappuccino, or drink under any circumstance, even if they get paid a living minimum wage that will be $15 an hour here in NY after New Years.

I once waited tables in a fake-upscale restaurant that told us one day we needed to "share" our tips with the back-of-the-house staff (namely an angry **** Dutch-chef that screwed up half the orders he made). I can't say what we told the owners, but it was basically go do a certain act to yourself and I'll only "share things with your cougar wife". I am someone that is generally pro-labor and have worked in the often bad industries of alcohol and food distribution as a server/bartender. And YES, in those situations, you tip or you are just a loser that cannot afford to eat or drink out (unless you of course get really bad service or the person is a creep, that's different) But I cannot recall the last time I didn't tip even the worst bartender or server at least something, and I over-tip the hard workers that excel at their craft at lot. But I didn't make the standing minimum wage, I made less per hour and did well via tips. In NYS, if a "tipped worker" in a restaurant does not make the hourly minimum, they are supposed to get a check at the end of the month to make minimum wage, but I am sure there are a lot of mom-and-pop diners that do not do this...

Tip-sharing with managers or regular hourly pay staff is completely illegal in the bar-restaurant industry (in most states) as servers/bartenders are paid on a different wage scale and that's why we have "tipping". I was once told this started in the Great Depression as a means for the wealthy to transfer money down and still go to the drinking holes and eating establishments they loved as a subsidy for workers and owners, so they didn't close and the workers could afford to eat the food they served, in the "industry" but IDK if that is true. I believe that you are a complete scumbag who should never eat out if you do not tip your server or bartender often making a lot less per hour because that is the system we have in the US.

But the "tipflation" due to the as mentioned proliferation of the POS systems expectant at getting an extra grift for workers already making more than minimum wage is just egregious and I generally refuse to pay anything extra for an already jacked-up price of a sub or pizza. The exception being if I have a big order for family, then I'll toss a few bucks out but in no way should it be mandatory for kids working behind the counter at a Chipotle already making $15-20 an hour! There is a difference and some should always be tipped while others it is purely optional, but unfortunately this electronic POS systems have blurred the line. and I think this should be regulated as it is borderline fraud. But for servers and bartenders, do not be a Mr. Pink:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The workers are probably converted to "tipped position" by the franchisee in order to circumvent minimum wage rules.

Yeah IDK about that. I can't speak for everywhere, but in NY they can be investigated for essentially tax-evasion if not a sit down restaurant or bar, along with other labor laws because that's a pretty slippery slope. A local McDonalds franchisee can't just say, "oh, my counter workers are all tipped now!" without having various regulators showing up the next day. The definition of a "tipped-position" is very specific and there are a few beyond server/bartenders like valets or some service people at country clubs IIRC..

Because next it will be the Dollar Store/UPS Store/The local Ford dealership basically circumventing labor law...

Last edited:
Went to Cheddar's the other evening. Had a good meal with leftovers to take home for $15. I gave a fiver for a tip. If I don't order a drink, I up the tip by a buck. The waitress comes out better.

I must tell you the highlight of the experience was our server. Took me back fifty years to college. She was a tall slim young lady with real brilliant real red hair and all the right assets. Just like a young lady I dated 50 years ago. Ah, memories.

Last edited:
25% in my head
Yep. Round up the $119 bill to $120 and your calculations are spot on.
IMO anybody that maintains that tip percentage should include tax deserves to be publicly horsewhipped for promoting bad math. I am starting to see POS machines properly programmed to exclude it in their calculations.

In food service, tips are for workers in a special labor class which contractually earns a sub minimum base wage augmented by customer provided tips. This does NOT include cashiers, busboys, cooks, etc. who earn a fix wage at or above the minimum rate.

Location dependent, here they are paid a minimum of $16.85/hr.

In response to big box and grocery asking for tips and other stuff.

Sadly leave a tippy is a real thing albeit slightly less aggregious

We are only 5 days into the new $20 per hour wage guarantee for fast food workers here in California. We are already seeing layoffs and closures of some restaurants. There are reports or surveys showing the average cost of a "combo meal" like a burger, fries and soft drink being up an average of $1.85. The prices were already high since the minimum wage went from $8 per hour in 2007 to $16 per hour by 2023.

I pretty much stopped eating at fast food joints several years ago, I maybe do it 4-6 times a year. I don't think I will do it at all now. And I certainly won't be tipping.

Even at a sit down restaurant the prices are too high. I was at an IHOP recently and breakfast for two was $50. The "suggested gratuity amounts" printed on my receipt were 15%, 20% and 25%. When did the traditional 15% become 25% ?
I used to give a $5 tip when breakfast for two was under $20 (not that long ago). But looking at $50 for the same meal I'm not feeling very generous.

We are only 5 days into the new $20 per hour wage guarantee for fast food workers here in California. We are already seeing layoffs and closures of some restaurants. There are reports or surveys showing the average cost of a "combo meal" like a burger, fries and soft drink being up an average of $1.85. The prices were already high since the minimum wage went from $8 per hour in 2007 to $16 per hour by 2023.

I pretty much stopped eating at fast food joints several years ago, I maybe do it 4-6 times a year. I don't think I will do it at all now. And I certainly won't be tipping.

Even at a sit down restaurant the prices are too high. I was at an IHOP recently and breakfast for two was $50. The "suggested gratuity amounts" printed on my receipt were 15%, 20% and 25%. When did the traditional 15% become 25% ?
I used to give a $5 tip when breakfast for two was under $20 (not that long ago). But looking at $50 for the same meal I'm not feeling very generous.
I went to Germany first time for work a little over 20 years ago. No one tipped. When I asked my counterparts they told me that the staff makes a decent wage so no tip needed. If they do something over the top would be the only time anytone tipped, and would be very rare.

So the question would be - if the min wage is $20 / hour - why would any tip be "expected" ?

Back