Tipping at Fast Food Places

Maybe a lowlife at a low life place would do that.

That good that I come back of course 15%

That reminds me of the pizza delivery driver in Texas unhappy with a $5 tip on a $20 pizza cause homeowner had a nice house.

Driver felt she should have tipped more.

Google: Lacey Purciful

BTW, we went to our favorite Mexican place Saturday for lunch. Always sit at the bar, they know us and they service is usually better than a sit-down table.

Our bill was $25. I handed the girl behind the bar that waited on us two $5 bills as we left. Did I tip the correct amount?
If you were a celebrity you would have given a $1,000 tip and then posted it on social media. Does wonders for one's image!

Your tip was generous. We did the same at a place we used to go to in the 90's, Chenoy's in Brossard, PQ. $10 tip on a $22 meal. I told my buddy don't worry about it, it's only $6.50 or so, it's fine.

He lost his wallet that day at the restaurant. When we went back, guess what, the Maitre D smiled and said, if you didn't come back, we'd mail it to you. karma

I think workers in a fast food or sub shop type of restaurant are considered non tipped and are compensated as such. There is one sit down restaurant in my area that is now a no tip restaurant. The wait staff is salary and make like $20 an hour. The prices are adjusted accordingly, you can tip on top of that, if you like, but it is not expected. The idea is to give the workers a steady income so they stay on the job during a slow period. The restaurant business is up and down and people have bills to pay so by giving their workers a known income, they stay. I am not sure how it is working out but the establishment is still open and doing business.

I only tip at a sandwich/coffee shop I frequent. The food is very good, the ownership is local, they take good care of their customers and I have no problem throwing my change or a buck in the tip jar. It is all situational.

This is a result of income inequality. You can not make it on min wage anywhere any more. Social Security gets a COLA adjustment every year. Min wage rarely goes up. So when it gets a big jump some people are shocked and think the workers do not deserve it. I think, if you step back and look objectively and fairly, they deserve the increase a social security recipient gets.

Interesting GON. That is the first article that admits it is the place of business that sets the tip percentage pre or post tax, and not the Point of Sale machine provider like they claim. That reinforces my decision to penalize the server 5% if the restaurant sets the POS device to an after tax calculation. Make up for the overtippers that are bad at math, and convince the servers to ask their boss to do it right.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GON
At this point, I believe a lot of these places asking for tips are panhandling.

After reading about the lawsuit; the tips being collected and "distributed" to all employees as being an illegal practice - I wonder how many places know that what they are doing is illegal? Or if they even care?

If a worker is being paid "minimum wage as a server", they are the only ones that can "legally" be tipped to bring their pay to the federal minimum.

My bet is a lot of these places that are "swinging" around the payment pad are ignoring this legal issue and will plead ignorance to the law IF they are caught.

After a many months boycott of Chili's we went last evening. Had the $10.99 3-for deal they are promoting right now. Had a small salad instead of chips and salsa, the burger was good and had a perfect char. The fries were meh, ate very few. When coming in last night there was a creepy guy leaving trying to give the hostess a LARGE tip. After she seated us, she said I was so glad your party came in and let her get away from the creep. Back to tipping. The was no panhandling to be seen, other than the tip suggestion on the bill. I got a house Margarita and my bill was $16.04 and gave a $3.94 tip. pre tax my bill was $14.48. The tip was about 25% . There seemed to be a attitude shift at this Chili's, The managing partner was roaming the floor at 4:30pm. Keeps the associates on point. Our young female (Easy to tell) server had no jewelry where jewelry does not belong. Talking nose and lips. Disgusting IMO in a food environment. With all of this in mind it was overall a very pleasant experience. When the server came over with our receipts she had a nice smile on her face and said "thank you very much" Her exact words.

Last edited:
"Tipping" is now required or your food "may" be late. Oh, and tip big or don't expect "special" service.

By the way, I sure hope this doesn't take off. Considering "tipping" is a relatively new process in the grand scheme of things.

True story.

Sitting in L&L BBQ.
Door dash guy comes in for pickup to deliver. Gets food. I hear and watch the interchange.
Goes out to car, places bag on hood, searches around in bag, checking out things, opening containers.
Finds something and absolutely wolfs it down, like two huge bites. Stacks stuff back in bag.
Places bag in car and drives off.

Went to Steak n Shake for a quickie lunch yesterday. It is now a Work A Raunt and the largest full screen image on the Kiosk is a full screen full of tipping instructions, I picked up the food at the window, and bussed the table. I did the work but they want a tip. Really

Last edited:
Back