Tipping at Fast Food Places

OK I'm striking

No tips outside regular sitdown restaurants where I'm actually served WELL. And 15% max= exceptional, 10% normal, 0% if not good service.

I've had enough. More people should join in if not already striking. I realize this goes a bit lower than I posted, but really only one way to send a message.

I am a good tipper when in a sit down restaurant and am actually getting table service.

I object to "tip jars" on counters with the idea that people should be getting extra money on top of their $15+ per hour for doing their basic, minimum required tasks. I rarely put any money in those jars.

I know people like to talk about how they use their credit/debit cards for everything, rarely carry cash, get cash back from their banks for the purchases, yada yada. That's nice. You are exposing yourself to all kinds of tracking and data collection which of course is being sold, and such abuses like having tips added to your bill.

I like to always have some WAM (Walking Around Money) in my wallet to pay for gasoline, meals or incidentals. It saves me from situations that would likely raise my ire. There are enough other bad things going on in this world lately.

Read my post above

They are
The one that gets me is the 0%, 15%, 20%, 30% thing at some fast food/takeout places that offer no manual way of tipping.

That is a situation that a buck makes sense but I can’t do it, 0 or 15+ only for what is In effect handing out bagged, sometimes uncooked food I’m taking home to possibly cook and put on my own plates.

This practice of asking for "tips" before any service is done should get push-back from older folks, as a lot of younger folks ARE pushing back.

IMO, tipping in the US has gotten out of control and now is bordering on panhandling (a little harsh, I know, but still feels like that sometimes).

And yet, these guys say we should tip the counter folks:

From the article:
"At full-service restaurants in most states, waiters and waitresses earn a tipped minimum wage, which can run as low as $2.13 an hour. Both server and employer expect diners to cover the difference between the tipped minimum wage and whatever the regular minimum wage is in that restaurant’s jurisdiction (and if they don’t, the employer is required to do so).".....

"He really can’t raise salaries any higher and keep the business afloat. The owner is already running the shop, more or less, as a charity.".....

Last edited:
The article linked to above is from the Washington Post. A publication that is well known for extremely biased reporting and their mission to influence public opinion. I doubt very seriously that employees at full service restaurants in most states are only making about $2.13 per hour and tips bring their income up to at least minimum wage.

Last edited:
The article linked to above is from the Washington Post. A publication that is well known for extremely biased reporting and their mission to influence public opinion. I doubt very seriously that employees at full service restaurants in most states are only making about $2.13 per hour and tips bring their income up to at least minimum wage.
So, I checked with a friend of mine. Her daughter works at a restaurant here as a server. She is paid $3.00 per hour, plus tips.

On an average night, she makes over $500.00 in tips. Granted, this is a moderately upscale restaurant, nonetheless, she makes about $2,000.00 a week gross.

She is a college student, and this is her senior year. Been at this job for a year or two IIRC.

A key item in this thread was one is tipping before the action is completed.

A way to address this is to not patronize businesses that have this practice of requesting a tip prior to receiving product/service.

For the above to work requires massive support by consumers on a macro scale. I don't see that happening. I have never used door dash or any like service for fast food. But suspect many users of door dash use the service out if laziness, not becuase of necessity (such as at work and unable to leave to get food).

Guess the real solution is to just cook at home and bring food/drinks. But as starting to imply, even the grocery store is promoting gratituties from it's customers who are self bagging their purchases.

Maybe Amazon will start asking for tips for their drivers when checking out on their website?

Last edited:
Guess the real solution is to just cook at home and bring food/drinks. But as starting to imply, even the grocery store is promoting gratituties from it's customers who are self bagging their purchases.

This is what I suspect will happen. Most stores now have a bunch of self checkouts with one or two manned checkouts. Those cashiers and the bagger if there is one could ask for tips for providing a personal service for you.

Then again, way back in the day people would tip the bag boy for taking their groceries to the car and loading them. A nickel or a dime if you were generous was customary.

Those workers were trained how to properly bag groceries unlike today where you pull the rump roast out and discover the eggs at the bottom.

Gig workers if they even get an hourly wage are paid the $2.xx + tips if state law allows.

The north central part of the country is like that in most areas.

A few Wisconsin businesses we’re pushing for 12 year olds + to be allowed to work some hours and for any minimum wage laws to only apply to adults (20+) with tweens and younger teens getting increasingly lower minimums. (In effective a minimum wage for every age)
(Think this died but pandemic years kept getting pushed)

I take it you're not a repeat or regular customer at any restaurant? If you do that often enough so the waiters recognize you, there might be some unwelcome "extra" ingredients in your food the next time.
You seriously think a decent restaurant would poop pee or spit in food because someone tips 15%?

The other evening, Saturday I think I went to a local Tex-Mex place during Happy Hour. I ordered the HH Margarita for $5 and a couple of Crispy Fried Tacos and a Enchilada Platter to go. Everything was fine except requests for little things, like a spoon for the salsa and the Queso Especial, the server offered extra limes but they never showed, you know little things and they arrived slowly. My tip was about 16%, mediocre tip for mediocre service is the way I see it.

Back