Tipping at Fast Food Places

An FYI, if tipped employees do not claim or cannot claim at least the hourly equal amount to non-tipped minimum wage employee over their daily work hours, the company must pay to make up the difference.

I've noticed Subway and places like that are asking for tips now. I sometimes tip $1 or so but I don't actually know if it's going to the employees since it's just added to the total on the card machine.

At least at Subway, you pay AFTER your sub is made. Recently, I was at a Firehouse Subs and noticed the tip button on the screen when I pre-paid. I declined, but I admit I wondered if there would be any extra 'fluids' in my sub. It's sad I even considered it, but I'm sure somewhere, sometime.....

I do go out quite a bit. Junk yards, parts places and lumber yards are quick to flip their screens around.

I guess I never needed to do a visual for a FF order.
I will indeed look the next time.
Every place I’ve been in a while has one.

E.G. Panera Bread, Wawa, even Burger King. Restaurants of all kinds, from mid tier to Fast Food.

There is also the matter of where the tips go - do they actually get distributed to the individual employees or does it just increase the corporate bank account?
If they said it was tip money, and then corporate kept it for itself, that would be fraud.

I do go out quite a bit. Junk yards, parts places and lumber yards are quick to flip their screens around.

I guess I never needed to do a visual for a FF order.
I will indeed look the next time.

At FF places you might find it more at places like Panera Bread, Starbucks, and anywhere that has changed to the Square payment system (so usually mom-and-pop and small chains.). Mainstream FF like McD don't have it.

I'll tip at a small mom-pop type place but I won't do it for a chain like Potbellys.

If they said it was tip money, and then corporate kept it for itself, that would be fraud.
A waitress was describing the process at a Chili's in Georgia. Tips are assumed, and she is charged 5% of the total receipts (not 5% of her tip income) to go into a pool that is used to supplement busboys and cooks pay. The dishonest restaurant owner then can call busboy a tipped position and not pay them minimum wage.

In food service, tips are for workers in a special labor class which contractually earns a sub minimum base wage augmented by customer provided tips. This does NOT include cashiers, busboys, cooks, etc. who earn a fix wage at or above the minimum rate.
I don't disagree with that.

But the OPs point (and what I agree with) is that the expectation of tips is bleeding out way past those "special labor class" folks.
Those are the ones we reference and object to.

A co-workers son works at a Maple Street Biscuit restaurant which is part of the Cracker Barrel. He said his son makes $14 plus tips, but the tips are evenly split between the employees, even the dishwasher and he makes $17-20 an hour.

Fast food is going to be drive through and cash and I’ll do moderate tips … don’t care to have a bunch of change or beat up dollar bills - wish our currency was like Canada …
Dine in places = more likely CC …

Several of the college sports arenas which I've been to recently don't even accept cash any longer; CC only. That is a PITB.

I've even tried to argue that cash states right on the note "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" ... to no avail. Good luck trying to have that conversation with 30 other people standing behind you in line wanting their cold beers, too.

To be clear, there is no Federal law requirement that a seller must accept cash; only that if they accept cash then any "legal tender" must be accepted. However, there is also no federal law prohibiting local and state jurisdictions from requiring the acceptance of "legal tender", and some have, such as NJ, MA, RI as well as some cities like NYC, Philly, etc have done so.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or are you guys tired of the "tipping" thing everywhere when you pay for fast food?

I've found the best way to avoid the "turn around the screen to me" intimidation tactic is to pay cash.

Anyone else?
I never had or will ever tip at fast food outlets.

We find ourselves at a particular McDonald's once a year. On the way home from the lake.
Two McDoubles for me and a double Fillet 'O Fish for the wife.
It's a zero tip deboucherous affair that we instantly regret.
Tap card, spray toilet hours later:poop:

There's tipping at Mc Donald's?
At the 3 franchised restaurants in my area, there is. All have the POS terminals that include an option for adding tips. Ironically, the self-order kiosks they've installed do not. No matter, McDs is only "emergency" when I forget to pack my dinner which nowadays is very rare. Now doughnut and coffee places? Big tips and free security ;).

Back