Planning a Vacation...

Check out Sanibel Island, Fl. Been a few years but was a great experience, particularly if you can find somewhere on the island.

Have you considered a cruise? Look into Royal Carribbean, I love their boats and you can get alot for that money.
Disney is no where close to what it used to be, way over crowded and expensive. The magic has left the building plus they are closing many ridesfor renovations this summer.

TH

I realize I left it very generic and open-ended because I wanted ideas When I get in front of a computer with a keyboard I'll respond individually to some of the post thanks for all the information.
Also you have to have a passport for Canada so that's not an issue. We both have one.

Check out Sanibel Island, Fl. Been a few years but was a great experience, particularly if you can find somewhere on the island.
However, keep in mind that Hurricane Ian in September 2022 did significant damage to the island and things are definitely not yet fully rebuilt.

Have you considered a cruise? Look into Royal Carribbean, I love their boats and you can get alot for that money.
Disney is no where close to what it used to be, way over crowded and expensive. The magic has left the building plus they are closing many ridesfor renovations this summer.

TH
I definitely agree to consider a cruise. They provide value and convenience, especially if you can drive to the port. Having room accommodations, entertainment, and unlimited food, all while seeing different foreign locales make them hard to beat. We prefer Carnival cruise line, as they provide the most value (more things included in the cost, over the nickel-and-diming of other cruise lines).

We were looking at the Siesta Keys area or Panama City/Destin area and were really leaning towards Siesta Key as we could fly there cheap (Allegient) and not need a rental once there. The city offers a golf cart/taxi-type service at no cost that runs you around anywhere in the city. We just couldn't find any houses or condos that would suit us. We're going to PCB now with my wife, youngest, and myself driving with our older kids (and their BF/GFs) probably flying. This way we'll have transportation to get around, go to grocery, etc. Now I just need to find an Airbnb that's at least halfway there for us to stop and stay in overnight. Condo check-in isn't until 4pm and with a 12+ hour drive, we don't want to arrive after 8pm. We always go to the grocery immediately after checking in.

If you're thinking about a cruise, we've been on maybe thirty including two on CCL (never again) and a few on RCCL and I would recommend Celebrity and Norwegian in that order. Both typically include drinks, internet and some specialty dining in their standard fares while CCL and RCCL don't. Winter is the time to take a Caribbean cruise and escape the cold grey yuck that is Ohio December through February.
Other than that, you could go to Istanbul for a week or one of the less visited cities in Europe.
I would not recommend places like London, Paris or Rome simply because they're too crowded with tourists, especially our compatriots. It is a good time to go overseas since the dollar is currently strong so exchange rates are favorable.
Always fun to plan a trip. Be sure and let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited:
Nobody mentioned needing a passport going to Asia or where ever outside of CONUS. Might not be something a guy from NE Ohio and does mini-vacations regionally just happens to have on hand.
Getting a passport should not be a big deal. Our American relatives don't like to come to Canada because they will need a passport (to get back into the USA I might add).

The whole world opens up when you have a passport.

Fewer than half of our citizens have passports.
This may be because the US is so vast and has so many places to visit that many people never feel the need to travel elsewhere.
Pity, since there's a whole lot of ancient stuff to see in other lands and it doesn't cost all that much to go.

We've been to most of North America (except for the southern east coast). We really like the whole California coast, Kauai, the Rocky mountains (Jasper and Banff especially), and Newfoundland. British Columbia is pretty cool too.

For international travel we really like San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, Amsterdam in the Netherlands, Ireland, Devon and Cornwall in Britain (we stayed at AA recommended bed and breakfasts and stopped at AA noted scenic villages) and the south of France (we rented a farm house at Sisteron and toured the surrounding area.) Culture shock is terrific.

We've been to most of North America (except for the southern east coast). We really like the whole California coast, Kauai, the Rocky mountains (Jasper and Banff especially), and Newfoundland. British Columbia is pretty cool too.

For international travel we really like San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, Amsterdam in the Netherlands, Ireland, Devon and Cornwall in Britain (we stayed at AA recommended bed and breakfasts and stopped at AA noted scenic villages) and the south of France (we rented a farm house at Sisteron and toured the surrounding area.) Culture shock is terrific.
I know people who talk about going everywhere someday, but lacking a passport they can't go and if they wait long enough they won't be physically able to go anywhere.
I always tell them to get a passport and look for deals on travel to interesting places, since you can always find a deal and there are a lot of interesting places only eight or ten hours away.

Fewer than half of our citizens have passports.
I know you say "fewer" but if I were to take a WAG, I'd say 33% of Americans have a passport. It's just not as common as some might think. Reminds me that we need to renew ours soon...

Just looked it up.... 47% have passports. I'm shocked it's that high.

If the Ukraine situation wasn't ongoing I'd have suggested the Chornobyl/Prypiat tour :p

My dad went to Germany a few years ago and stayed at a wonderful little bed and breakfast in a small town that had a church that was built in 800AD. Tons of history in the area, plenty of it from WWII. Lots of beer and some amazing sites to visit. I know that's nothing even approaching in the realm of the proposed Disney scenario, hahahha, but given how much you enjoyed the Bruce trip, something that isn't your typical "commercial" vacation may be surprisingly satisfying 🤷‍♂️

Food for thought.

Good idea, but they should probably wait until the port reopens, assuming that they live within driving distance of the ports around here.
Everyone I know that goes on a cruise takes them from Florida, i.e. Caribbean cruises.

Everyone I know that goes on a cruise takes them from Florida, i.e. Caribbean cruises.
You would be amazed at how many people drive even several hours to Baltimore for a cruise. The cost savings from not having to get on an airplane makes it cheaper if you live withing a certain driving distance to Baltimore (and some other places around here I would imagine).

There is always San Juan, which also enables calls on more islands that are a far stretch from South FL
There is also La Romana, not too far from San Juan.

There is always San Juan, which also enables calls on more islands that are a far stretch from South FL
There is also La Romana, not too far from San Juan.
What I was alluding to was that the one port that's currently shut down, Baltimore, wasn't the only one in N America 😂

What I was alluding to was that the one port that's currently shut down, Baltimore, wasn't the only one in N America 😂
I knew what you meant.
But if a cruise to the Caribbean in winter is what one might seek, then leaving from a port guaranteed to provide at least one entire day of cold makes little sense to me, even if it is cheaper.
At least from NY or NJ you get to see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty along with that day of cold. Not much to see in Baltimore.
For us, a couple of days in old San Juan or Punta Cana before the cruise is worth the additional expense.

Back