Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, Warren doesn't buy raw materials, they buy finished products and blend them. However, I did say I might be splitting hairs.
Splitting hairs….as usual 😎

So is Ford/GM not a manufacturer? They buy finished products (tires, radios, bulbs, even transmissions) and assemble them.

The last entity that touches a product and alters it in some way….is a manufacturer

I use a ton of Kirkland Synthetic, which, I believe is the same thing as ST.
Wally's SuperTech, Costco's Kirkland and Amazon Basics FS oils are all from Warren distributing and are basically the same oil. It is good stuff, no problems with using it. The Project Farm guy tested them all and the results were good. I'd have no issues with using any of them.

Wally's SuperTech, Costco's Kirkland and Amazon Basics FS oils are all from Warren distributing and are basically the same oil. It is good stuff, no problems with using it. The Project Farm guy tested them all and the results were good. I'd have no issues with using any of them.
Despite the irrelevant PF test reference the rest is true.

Yes, yes, most oils are safe to use. Just curious I looked at (lost count) after over 40 oil containers in my local WalMart. Not one, not even the WalMart SuperTech brand containers have any reference at all to any Warren Distribution Company or Warren anything. All but Castol say made in USA by domestic and foreign blended oils. Then the strange part. Made in USA yet packaged in "Spanish language" I don't comprendo with the word Mexico." WHY? Castrol says Made in Belgium and packaged in USA. Ford's oils actually have "Distributed by Ford Motor Company." I have yet to see anything in print from a Warren Company that states what oils they either make or distribute. Yes I saw those 3rd party lists and write ups. Still no attatchment I saw to a Warren Company. If my eyes missed it then someone please show me where I can see this information stated by this company.

If I recall correctly, the PF reference was to a lab analysis of the oils, don't recall if it was a VOA or a UOA.
I am anxiously awaiting my UOA results report from Blackstone labs. This will be my first from them and my first UOA in over ten years. I have used Amsoil labs a few times long ago. These test results for me are not really aimed at any oil brand but more about finding out how my wife's car that it came from is doing with the fuel / oil dilution "GIFT" that Honda Motor Corporation has bestowed upon its loyal customers. Honda is acting like this issue does not exist in the USA from what I can gather. I plan to have 3-4 of these UOA sample reports along with all my other predictive and preventive maintenance records in that car to present to Honda in the event something goes wrong. Its disapointing to say the least when the car we traded for it was a 2002 Honda Accord that was 18 years old with close to 180,000 miles on it. The only repair work (other than brakes etc...) ever done was that I fixed one power window & replaced the radiator at home with a new one about a year before the wife decided she wanted a newer model. Every thing still functioned on the 2002.

I am anxiously awaiting my UOA results report from Blackstone labs. This will be my first from them and my first UOA in over ten years. I have used Amsoil labs a few times long ago. These test results for me are not really aimed at any oil brand but more about finding out how my wife's car that it came from is doing with the fuel / oil dilution "GIFT" that Honda Motor Corporation has bestowed upon its loyal customers. Honda is acting like this issue does not exist in the USA from what I can gather. I plan to have 3-4 of these UOA sample reports along with all my other predictive and preventive maintenance records in that car to present to Honda in the event something goes wrong. Its disapointing to say the least when the car we traded for it was a 2002 Honda Accord that was 18 years old with close to 180,000 miles on it. The only repair work (other than brakes etc...) ever done was that I fixed one power window & replaced the radiator at home with a new one about a year before the wife decided she wanted a newer model. Every thing still functioned on the 2002.
Unfortunately with Blackstone you won't get a conclusive answer in regards to fuel dilution. Their indirect determination method is sometimes wildly inaccurate. Whatever number they give you might as well pick out of the air.

H
Unfortunately with Blackstone you won't get a conclusive answer in regards to fuel dilution. Their indirect determination method is sometimes wildly inaccurate. Whatever number they give you might as well pick out of the air.
So what lab is dependable + reasonable to use? This is not something I have much exerience with at all. Have only done a couple more than ten years ago.

Your lucky that your 2002 Accord's A/T lasted 180k as I believe it used the same troublesome BAXA unit as my 2001 Accord. I agree with you about the fuel into oil dilution issue with some of Honda's latest offerings. I'd shop Toyota or Mazda if I were in the market for a new vehicle.

Last edited:
Your lucky that your 2002 Accord's A/T lasted 180k as I believe it used the same troublesome BAXA unit as my 2001 Accord. I agree with you about the fuel into oil dilution issue with some of Honda's latest offerings. I'd shop Toyota or Mazda if I were in the market for a new vehicle.
I may end up trading the 2018. I always try to keep vehicles "like new" and for as many years as possible. Its a fun little game the wife and I started years ago. Our record all time was the 18 years old Accord. Oh, I know how lucky we were. A lot of times with cars luck plays a big part no matter what we do. Those 2002 Accords were notorious for transaxle implosions. At the time that was at least a $4000 repair / replace job. WOOF! With the help of a couple buddies, Honda service manager and a Honda Dealership Tech I knew for years , we managed to baby it along and it never even slipped but once or twice. They had me flush the fluid once a year and use a certain (non street use) transmission fluid. Those had no replaceable filters. Drain & flush. We changed the timing belt as required and amazingly only adjusted the valves one time in all those years. I am certain it lasted so long like that too because we put very low mi per year on it after 2009 once wife got a new one to sit next to it in the garage. We did drive that 2002 from coast to coast across the USA a couple times when it was new. We still driving her 2009 (152,000mi) now. My last truck, a Ford F150 was with us for 16 years. I used to detail and shine that factory white paint job so much it near glowed in the sun. LOL Almost every other time I was putting gas in it someone at the gas pumps would approach me to ask "what local paint shop did your truck repaint?" I would laugh and tell them "Ford Motor Company! over 15 years ago." Mr Obama's Cash for clunkers finally took it away from me. Could not pass it up.

Reactions: pbm
Well, despite the price increase of Super Tech, it is now looking like the “bargain“ again on Walmart shelves.

Castrol EP went up in price from a couple months ago...first it was $24, then $28 and now $30. And Magnatec was usually around $19/$20. And I was buying Pennzoil Platinum for $22 at Walmart for the last 2 years.

Attachments

• 13E51174-7972-495E-A2A3-BF9BEE2510F8.jpeg
    13E51174-7972-495E-A2A3-BF9BEE2510F8.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 12F641B1-35A4-4095-812F-34317F2291C4.jpeg
    12F641B1-35A4-4095-812F-34317F2291C4.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2C6B0657-B1EC-4702-A52E-82C46A4CA271.jpeg
    2C6B0657-B1EC-4702-A52E-82C46A4CA271.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 28
To each his own. I opened up to using ST recently and ran it for a year or two and it seemed "OK" but I changed to NAPA FS last fall and I like the feel of it better and for the first time ever I may actually run NAPA FS oil for a whole year this time. It feels like a heavier oil and/or feels like it's better able to go 12 months with no problems at all (at <6k miles). ST would probably go 12 months also but for a few dollars difference I see no point in using ST any more and I don't plan to. So all in all I'm not particularly impressed with ST oils. I always seem to feel like I'm lubed better with brand name oils.

To each his own. I opened up to using ST recently and ran it for a year or two and it seemed "OK" but I changed to NAPA FS last fall and I like the feel of it better and for the first time ever I may actually run NAPA FS oil for a whole year this time. It feels like a heavier oil and/or feels like it's better able to go 12 months with no problems at all (at B] with brand name oils.

OK, I'll word it differently so I don't trigger people like kschachn on these forums :

I prefer name brand oils over ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back