Thoughts on Mobil 0W-20 vs. Pennzoil Platinum 0W-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: CT8
Really !!! Oil is oil.

With over 10,000 posts I thought you could come up with something better than this
33.gif

Explain why? Prove to me that M1 is better or worse that pennzoil, Amsoil Castrol etc. I will be waiting . Facts please Marketing claims won't impress me.

My point is, this is a motor oil discussion forum. If you feel all oils are the same, then why are you even here and why have you made so many posts? You know this site is all about the discussion of all things oil, so if you're just going to say oil is oil, then that's not helping anyone at all.
O.k. I will make up stuff, pass on rumors lies and what I heard. I heard Mobil 1 oil is better than Amsoil, so Redline would be the best unless you sell Chevron products, then use Castrol if not use Valvoline. Prove to me there is a difference in any proper rated quality oil at equal price point that will make your engine last longer than any other brand.

I just crossed 10k miles with 15 percent OLM left on QSUD 0w20/PP 5w20 blend with LM Ceratec. Should be fun to see this oil analysis not to mean my 16k miles on a fram ultra that I am sending off to Scott at Fram. Cant wait to get my Fram swag they are sending me. Will post uoa results and fram filter analysis testing results.Super excited
banana2.gif

To the op, try the Pennzoil on your next OCI and see if you tell a difference. Then pick w what you like best. I like Penz over M1 oils but not because it’s better, just my preference. Now if M1 was less expensive, I would go w M1

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
To the op, try the Pennzoil on your next OCI and see if you tell a difference. Then pick w what you like best. I like Penz over M1 oils but not because it’s better, just my preference. Now if M1 was less expensive, I would go w M1

How would anyone know what they like best? The easy open jug? The smell of it?

CT8 I agree with you in saying that any oil made by the big guys and a number of the small guys will serve anyone's car just fine. That is a fact. And that in terms of longevity it does not make a difference as long as things are handled the right way. Again, right on.

Having said that... There can be some difference in how a vehicle sounds with different oils in them. My lady's Camry I put in oil made by Pinnacle. That dag on car motor sounded rackety and unusually loud with that in it. So bad... It was taken out in short order. Got some Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic and put that in there. The car ran much, much quieter on that by a large margin. You would have had to have been Helen Keller NOT to have noticed that difference. It was that obvious. I would tell anyone with a 97-02 Toyota Camry with the 2.2 liter motor not to run a oil made by Pinnacle. Unless they enjoy lots and lots of noise. Is Pinnacle a bad product though?? No. Absolutely not. For whatever reason it just ran unusually loud in that car. Another example of an oil that would be on my no go list for a certain car is Royal Purple 5w30. It got to where it ran spooky loud in my Altima 3.5 VQ. My car had never, ever, at any one time before or since sounded like it did that day. It was taken out and replaced with Castrol Edge gold bottle 5w30. Back to normal. Now I have run Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Havoline DS 5w30, Mobil Super 5w30, Motorcraft 5w30, Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30, Castrol gold bottle 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Castrol Ultraclean 5w30, Valvoline white bottle 5w30, Warren oil 5w30, Lubrigold Dexos approved 5w30, Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 aka the old time one, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, Pennzoil Gold 5w30 in that car. Only Royal Purple API SN 5w30 had a time where it sounded really loud and jacked up. Of those I have run in there some have been a bit quieter than others. But not a very big difference enough to be bent around the axle about it. If someone had a 3.5 VQ I would recommend in this order what I felt like ran the best in it #1. Castrol gold bottle 5w30 #2. Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 #3. Mobil Super 5w30 #4. Valvoline white bottle 5w30 #5. Havoline Pro DS 5w30 #6. Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 #7. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 #8. Castrol Ultraclean 5w30 #9. Havoline DS 5w30 #10. Motorcraft 5w30. Now all of these will enable the car to run a very, very long time if changed out in a reasonable fashion. And likely zero difference if one were to run just one of them for the life of the car. My list is based upon a combination of how quiet these oils run in that motor, how well mpg held up throughput a run, and how well performance held up throughout a run. If I based it off one just aspect of how quiet the car ran on them then there would some changes in that order. So, if someone comes on here and asks what oil to run in a 3.5 VQ I would say the field is mostly open really. I will say I know I've recommended Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, and Valvoline 5w30. I do that due to a) my observations b) price considerations c) availability. Now Havoline Pro DS 5w30 is not quite as available as it used to be so now that would possibly not be one I'd recommend because of lack of availability. Unless that person lived somewhere it is available. One thing I will say is that the "conventional" oils are all very, very well made by the major oil producers. Mobil Super 5w30 ran very quiet in my 3.5 VQ (in fact just about the quietest I have run in my car) and at $14.47 at Wally World is a very good deal. I'm glad I tried it out. Heck, I just remembered I ran Super S 5w30 in my car as well. It did very good too.

Anyhow, just my thoughts but I do think some products do run a bit differently or better than others. Now, do I have a multi million dollar lab, staff for tearing down motors, equipment to weigh parts within 0.000001 gram spec, a spectrometer etc etc to prove one is better than another?? Ahh that's a negative on that. But I do have my own observations. That's all 99.999% of any of us have anyway.

Not trying to give you a hard time here. Not at all. Just thinking about how I think about things and the process behind it. You know about the EIB network I'm sure. Well for you I have a new title. The BIB. That would stand for... Best In Brevity. One thing for sure... You do that better than just about anyone on here
smile.gif

You know your nose can save you from very bad decisions. Oil selection is just another latest evolution of that. Used to be back in the cave man days those guys used their nose to see if food was safe to eat. Now... We can use our nose to see if motor oil is safe to run in our cars and trucks. This phenomenon has saved many people from being stranded on side the highways from blown motors due to bad motor oil.

Last edited:
I prefer the M1 AFE to the PP, however I prefer the PUP over all the AFE
smile.gif
Based on nothing logical! Just my odd feelings of the oil!

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
2012 Toyota Sienna = 1 year or 10,000 miles OCI.

Been using Mobil 0W-20 AFE and was thinking about trying Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 (due to rebates). Is the Pennzoil on par with Mobil?

Yes, they're all excellent oils...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
CT8 I agree with you in saying that any oil made by the big guys and a number of the small guys will serve anyone's car just fine. That is a fact. And that in terms of longevity it does not make a difference as long as things are handled the right way. Again, right on.

Having said that... There can be some difference in how a vehicle sounds with different oils in them. My lady's Camry I put in oil made by Pinnacle. That dag on car motor sounded rackety and unusually loud with that in it. So bad... It was taken out in short order. Got some Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic and put that in there. The car ran much, much quieter on that by a large margin. You would have had to have been Helen Keller NOT to have noticed that difference. It was that obvious. I would tell anyone with a 97-02 Toyota Camry with the 2.2 liter motor not to run a oil made by Pinnacle. Unless they enjoy lots and lots of noise. Is Pinnacle a bad product though?? No. Absolutely not. For whatever reason it just ran unusually loud in that car. Another example of an oil that would be on my no go list for a certain car is Royal Purple 5w30. It got to where it ran spooky loud in my Altima 3.5 VQ. My car had never, ever, at any one time before or since sounded like it did that day. It was taken out and replaced with Castrol Edge gold bottle 5w30. Back to normal. Now I have run Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Havoline DS 5w30, Mobil Super 5w30, Motorcraft 5w30, Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30, Castrol gold bottle 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Castrol Ultraclean 5w30, Valvoline white bottle 5w30, Warren oil 5w30, Lubrigold Dexos approved 5w30, Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 aka the old time one, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, Pennzoil Gold 5w30 in that car. Only Royal Purple API SN 5w30 had a time where it sounded really loud and jacked up. Of those I have run in there some have been a bit quieter than others. But not a very big difference enough to be bent around the axle about it. If someone had a 3.5 VQ I would recommend in this order what I felt like ran the best in it #1. Castrol gold bottle 5w30 #2. Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 #3. Mobil Super 5w30 #4. Valvoline white bottle 5w30 #5. Havoline Pro DS 5w30 #6. Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 #7. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 #8. Castrol Ultraclean 5w30 #9. Havoline DS 5w30 #10. Motorcraft 5w30. Now all of these will enable the car to run a very, very long time if changed out in a reasonable fashion. And likely zero difference if one were to run just one of them for the life of the car. My list is based upon a combination of how quiet these oils run in that motor, how well mpg held up throughput a run, and how well performance held up throughout a run. If I based it off one just aspect of how quiet the car ran on them then there would some changes in that order. So, if someone comes on here and asks what oil to run in a 3.5 VQ I would say the field is mostly open really. I will say I know I've recommended Havoline Pro DS 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, and Valvoline 5w30. I do that due to a) my observations b) price considerations c) availability. Now Havoline Pro DS 5w30 is not quite as available as it used to be so now that would possibly not be one I'd recommend because of lack of availability. Unless that person lived somewhere it is available. One thing I will say is that the "conventional" oils are all very, very well made by the major oil producers. Mobil Super 5w30 ran very quiet in my 3.5 VQ (in fact just about the quietest I have run in my car) and at $14.47 at Wally World is a very good deal. I'm glad I tried it out. Heck, I just remembered I ran Super S 5w30 in my car as well. It did very good too.

Anyhow, just my thoughts but I do think some products do run a bit differently or better than others. Now, do I have a multi million dollar lab, staff for tearing down motors, equipment to weigh parts within 0.000001 gram spec, a spectrometer etc etc to prove one is better than another?? Ahh that's a negative on that. But I do have my own observations. That's all 99.999% of any of us have anyway.

Not trying to give you a hard time here. Not at all. Just thinking about how I think about things and the process behind it. You know about the EIB network I'm sure. Well for you I have a new title. The BIB. That would stand for... Best In Brevity. One thing for sure... You do that better than just about anyone on here
smile.gif

A good point bbhero. Even with all the oils meeting specs and certifications, sometimes a oil just doesn’t work in a particular engine. I’ve experienced this with M1 many years ago on a Mitsu 1.8 4cylinder. It was noisier than usual. I have no explanation why. I switched back to Castrol and all was quiet. Maybe that engine would have ran forever on M1 but I prefer a quiet engine.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
2012 Toyota Sienna = 1 year or 10,000 miles OCI.

Been using Mobil 0W-20 AFE and was thinking about trying Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 (due to rebates). Is the Pennzoil on par with Mobil?

I can't comment on any Penz product, but I can with M1 oils. As a 40 year user of M1 oils I can say I have never had a lubricated part fail with M1 products. Engines, trans diff, bearings, or PS pumps. In the last several years I have put some 425K miles(three Ford engines) on 20WT M1 oils, and 80% of that with M1 0-20. Is M1 better than Penz?
21.gif
I'm sure Penz is a fine product. Try running 200-300K MILES with the same product and let us know the results. We'll be waiting.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I will say this about Mobil 1, yes I currently use it in all my vehicles and I do think it's a great oil. However I do agree that there are sometimes better choices, and often it's just a gut feeling someone has, or the engine runs smoother on one oil or has less consumption. So I'm not married to M1 by any means. In fact one thing has been bothering me lately. If I key in my wife's BMW into Mobil 1's oil selector, it tells me they don't have an oil for that application!!! Is that crazy or what? They've got so many different oils out there now, but yet don't have one for a BMW that is extremely common like this one? Why not? So I'm considering trying something else in my wife's BMW that has the correct specs for her car, maybe Castrol 0w40?

I will say this about Mobil 1, yes I currently use it in all my vehicles and I do think it's a great oil. However I do agree that there are sometimes better choices, and often it's just a gut feeling someone has, or the engine runs smoother on one oil or has less consumption. So I'm not married to M1 by any means. In fact one thing has been bothering me lately. If I key in my wife's BMW into Mobil 1's oil selector, it tells me they don't have an oil for that application!!! Is that crazy or what? They've got so many different oils out there now, but yet don't have one for a BMW that is extremely common like this one? Why not? So I'm considering trying something else in my wife's BMW that has the correct specs for her car, maybe Castrol 0w40?

Have you called 1-800-ask-mobil?

I don't see what calling them is going to do, they don't have the oil that meets the specs of her BMW, so they aren't about to go make one for me just from a phone call.

If it needs Longlife-01 certification then no, there is no Mobil 1 product in the US with that cert. But do as I have done (and as you mention) move five feet down the Walmart shelf to Castrol 0W-40. It carries LL-01 for the same price give or take a few pennies.

I don't see what calling them is going to do, they don't have the oil that meets the specs of her BMW, so they aren't about to go make one for me just from a phone call.

I called for you and you are correct. In 2015 BMW changed their LL oil spec., and M1 decided not to pursue that spec. by changing their formulation.

Thanks for calling! Do you have them on speed dial?
smile.gif

I wonder why they decided to forget about BMW owners like that? Seems odd.

I think GC 0w30 would have been a great fit in my wife's car, too bad I didn't stockpile way more of it back in the day!
laugh.gif

Thanks for calling! Do you have them on speed dial?
smile.gif

I wonder why they decided to forget about BMW owners like that? Seems odd.

I think GC 0w30 would have been a great fit in my wife's car, too bad I didn't stockpile way more of it back in the day!
laugh.gif

Speed dial? I just thought you might want to know the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back