Kirkland 0W-20 users tune in

Does anyone here have experience with Kirkland 0W-20 in very cold temps? I live in MN and was considering trying it out but have read mixed comments online. Some users reported their engines running noisy vs Mobil 1 during winter cold starts.

I have used 0w20 Kirkland for a long time in my Honda Civic and Ford F-150 as well as our Jeep GC which we recently sold. It seems to perform very well. The Civic has over 140,000 miles on it and it doesn't use a drop of oil. I am very happy with the Kirkland oil.

Does anyone here have experience with Kirkland 0W-20 in very cold temps? I live in MN and was considering trying it out but have read mixed comments online. Some users reported their engines running noisy vs Mobil 1 during winter cold starts.
I’m 36 yrs old been changing oil since I’m 14 and haven’t found a noisy or quiet oil yet. Kirkland oil will perform as good as any other 0w20 in cold temperatures. It’s on par with super tech Amazon oil and your other store house brands.

I am about 1300 miles into an OCI of Supertech 0w20. My ear-o-meter couldnt tell the difference from the 5W40 Rotella before that.

I put the SuperTech version (Aren't they the same?) in my 2007 Mazda 6 and 2011 Ford Focus back in October. Engines haven't blown up yet! I just put Kirkland 5W30 in the 2005 Jag. I don't expect it to blow up either.

Attachments

• Mazda6_0793.jpg
    Mazda6_0793.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Focus_0790.jpg
    Focus_0790.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Jag_1124.jpg
    Jag_1124.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 28
I think everyone is misunderstanding me. The Kirkland is good. I'm just asking about user experience with cold starts in very cold winters. Not all oils have the same pour point. Some oils are known to be louder for the first minute or so because the oil isn't flowing as well until it warms up a little.

Last edited:
I think everyone is misunderstanding me. The kirkland is good. I'm just asking about user experiance with cold starts in very cold winters. Not all oils have the same pour point. Some oils are known to be louder for the first minute or so because the oil isn't flowing as well until it warms up a little.

That's not likely going to happen between two oils of the same viscosity though. You are talking about a 0w20 oil here, and it can handle extremely cold starts with ease. I can see an engine being louder using 20w50 compared to 0w20, but not between two different 0w20s.

You might want to try you own test with some Kirkland and whatever is your benchmark. Like Project Farm where they have some tubes of oil and flip them and watch the flow rate as it goes down a board. Good project for January. FWIW the best stuff we saw at Allison for the US Army -60F tests was the MIL-L-2104D (now superseded by F) Emgard 0W20 which was heavy on PAO but also hard on seals and gaskets.

CeraTec will do a lot more for you than oil on cold starts. I would personally run an oil with a more moly, like M1 extended performance. I run their Euro line but it may be too thick for you. M1 0w-40 pour point is like -41 vs 0w-20 being -52 I believe.

You might also consider a pan heater.

I think everyone is misunderstanding me. The Kirkland is good. I'm just asking about user experience with cold starts in very cold winters. Not all oils have the same pour point. Some oils are known to be louder for the first minute or so because the oil isn't flowing as well until it warms up a little.
Pour point was abandoned as part of the Winter grade system because it didn't adequately capture the oil's ability to actually pump, which is measured with the MRV test, which, for a 0W-xx, is tested at -40C. The second test is CCS, which is designed to replicate the impact the oil's viscosity has on Cold Cranking, this is measured 5C higher at -35C for the 0W-xx Winter grade.

If the oil will pump (MRV) it will flow.

Back