Thoughts on Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30?

I traded my 2022 ram 3500 6.7 Cummins for a 2024 F250 superduty with the 7.3 gas.

It was slightly used at 3,350 miles. Did an oil change in it with Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30. It meets the Ford specifications but after I did the oil change I looked up some VOA’s on the Castrol full synthetic high mileage 5w-30 (couldn’t find VOA’s on the Edge full synthetic non high mileage 5w-30 ) and saw that the Castrol full synthetic high mileage has emissions protection which to me looks like a very low zinc and phosphorus additive pack.

Im not sure what zinc and phosphorus levels the Castrol edge 5w-30 advanced full synthetic has in it but the high mileage Verison has me worried with the low zinc and phosphorus levels

Am I being paranoid about it?

I traded my 2022 ram 3500 6.7 Cummins for a 2024 F250 superduty with the 7.3 gas.

It was slightly used at 3,350 miles. Did an oil change in it with Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30. It meets the Ford specifications but after I did the oil change I looked up some VOA’s on the Castrol full synthetic high mileage 5w-30 (couldn’t find VOA’s on the Edge full synthetic non high mileage 5w-30 ) and saw that the Castrol full synthetic high mileage has emissions protection which to me looks like a very low zinc and phosphorus additive pack.

Im not sure what zinc and phosphorus levels the Castrol edge 5w-30 advanced full synthetic has in it but the high mileage Verison has me worried with the low zinc and phosphorus levels

All of the newer API SP oils are going to have zinc and phosphorus levels well below 1,000 ppm

The "very low" Z&P add-pack did not prevent the oil from meeting the Ford specs - use it!

The "very low" Z&P add-pack did not prevent the oil from meeting the Ford specs - use it!
The very low add pack was on the high mileage version. Not sure what the add pack is on the regular “advanced” full synthetic

Our three Supers F250s at work all get the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30s. Many stacked cases of it.

I've also seen a few cases of Service Pro 0w30, which I'm guessing is made by Warren Highline.

The API Phos limits are 600 to 800 ppm, zinc and phos come from the ZDDP anti-wear agent.
These are fairly tight limits, to keep API approval in the ILSAC viscosity grades. So they can't go too low, and there are other anti-wear options open to oil companies, just probably a bit more expensive.

For comparison a typical Euro 0/5W40 with A3/B4 and Porsche A40 would have about 1000 ppm.
Motorcycle oils, performance, racing, HDEO's maybe 1100 to 1300 ppm.

Either way I would trust a big company like Castrol, Mobil, Shell/Pennzoil, Valvoline to design a good product. Don't worry about it, especially once it's in the sump and it meets the Ford spec you want.

I will give you two pieces of advice on this engine:
  1. Run a good Euro oil in it like Mobil 1 FS 0/5W-40, ESP 0/5W-30, or PP Euro LX 5W-30, QS Euro 5W-40, etc. Plenty to choose from, M1 FS 0W-40 being the easiest choice.
  2. Don't short trip and don't baby it. As long as you keep humidity away from the lifters, you're gonna be fine.
There's nothing else you need to do besides keeping up with maintenance and changing your oil on time, by engine hours, not miles.

Nice truck, nice engine!

I will give you two pieces of advice on this engine:
  1. Run a good Euro oil in it like Mobil 1 FS 0/5W-40, ESP 0/5W-30, or PP Euro LX 5W-30, QS Euro 5W-40, etc. Plenty to choose from, M1 FS 0W-40 being the easiest choice.
  2. Don't short trip and don't baby it. As long as you keep humidity away from the lifters, you're gonna be fine.
There's nothing else you need to do besides keeping up with maintenance and changing your oil on time, by engine hours, not miles.

Nice truck, nice engine!

Yeah i know the 2020-2022 7.3’s had lifter/spark plug issues. Ford made some changes for the 2023+ MY

When you say humidity, you are referring to not short tripping it and not letting it just sit for months on end?

And

Other than a thicker oil film, what will I gain with a 40 weight? Will it be more beneficial to the lifters?

my 2022 ram was a CC LB DRW that never saw near its full use. And the DPF completely junked out. Now I have an F250 Supecab short bed w/7.3 godzilla. The truck reminds me of a Tacoma on gear

Last edited:
only for < 40 grades though, M1 0W-40 can carry API SP with 900 ppm.
Yes, for the ILSAC viscosity grades (30, 20, etc) the API limit is 600 to 800 ppm Phos. Which is the viscosity grade the OP was asking about. The heavier Euro grades with A3/B4 (40, 50, etc) often go a bit higher and keep their API approval. I’ve run API approved Penrite 10W40 A3/B4 with around 1100ppm zinc before. The M1 0W40 you refer to is a full SAPS A3/B4 oil, and is similar with API (American) and ACEA (Euro) approvals.

The API limit is on the Phos, but most people talk about zinc. They both come from the ZDDP and track up and down together with the ZDDP treatment, but slightly different numbers. Typically the Zinc is roughly 100ppm higher than the Phos.

It’s the Phos that damages the exhaust cats, and hence the tight API limits in the ILSAC grades.

For the full SAPS Euro sequences (e.g. A3/B4) there is no actual Phos limit, it’s just listed as “report” in ACEA. However the sulphated ash limit is a max of 1.6%, which puts a natural limit on ZDDP (and Ca/Mg TBN detergents) as these add to the ash levels. However for the mid SAPS Euro sequences (e.g. C3) the ash limit is 0.8%, and it does have a Phos limit of 700 to 900 ppm.

Last edited:
Yeah i know the 2020-2022 7.3’s had lifter/spark plug issues. Ford made some changes for the 2023+ MY

When you say humidity, you are referring to not short tripping it and not letting it just sit for months on end?

And

Other than a thicker oil film, what will I gain with a 40 weight? Will it be more beneficial to the lifters?

my 2022 ram was a CC LB DRW that never saw near its full use. And the DPF completely junked out. Now I have an F250 Supecab short bed which reminds of a Tacoma on gear
Lifter issue (yes, we got a HEMI):

The lifter issue will never be solved or go away. I've beaten my head against the wall with this one until I replaced enough "Made in China" Timken bearings to realize that we're about 20 years past quality bearing steel.

Meet the latest casualty of bearing failure in my life:

1717559780471.jpeg

I just replaced it with a brand new re-manufactured unit. The pinion bearing was gone.

The bearing steel today isn't as good as it was in the past because of mass manufacturing requirements. To put it bluntly, I don't think there has been a period in human history when mass consumption has been so rampant as it is today. Manufacturing hardened steel components for so much machinery that we consume on a daily basis is a monumental task. That is where the real problem is.

To make a long story short, two things destroy bearings and lifters today:

1. Dirt - contamination.
2. Humidity - emulsified motor oil, or water in the motor oil - from short tripping the vehicle.

Any downside to running a euro 5w-30 in a Ford 7.3?
No downsides, only upsides. You will get better protection. No warranty issues either, as motor oils like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 are API SP licensed.

Back