Thoughts on Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30?

Lifter issue (yes, we got a HEMI):

The lifter issue will never be solved or go away. I've beaten my head against the wall with this one until I replaced enough "Made in China" Timken bearings to realize that we're about 20 years past quality bearing steel.

Meet the latest casualty of bearing failure in my life:

View attachment 223195

I just replaced it with a brand new re-manufactured unit. The pinion bearing was gone.

The bearing steel today isn't as good as it was in the past because of mass manufacturing requirements. To put it bluntly, I don't think there has been a period in human history when mass consumption has been so rampant as it is today. Manufacturing hardened steel components for so much machinery that we consume on a daily basis is a monumental task. That is where the real problem is.

To make a long story short, two things destroy bearings and lifters today:

1. Dirt - contamination.
2. Humidity - emulsified motor oil, or water in the motor oil - from short tripping the vehicle.

No downsides, only upsides. You will get better protection. No warranty issues either, as motor oils like Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 are API SP licensed.

What caused the 7.3 lifter failures? Seen some reports on other forums about the electric oil pump only pumping 7-8 psi at idle and Ford having a TSB about re flashing to bad metallurgy on certain lifters.

Last edited:
It’s not an electric oil pump

Do you know what was causing the lifter failures? I’ve known about the issue for a few years but didn’t really research it because at the time I didn’t one a 7.3 Gas. I attributed it to the typical new engines problems in the first production year but didn’t know what was causing it. I could see a situation where at idle it’s only pumping 7-8 psi would causes it but idk.

Do you know what was causing the lifter failures? I’ve known about the issue for a few years but didn’t really research it because at the time I didn’t one a 7.3 Gas. I attributed it to the typical new engines problems in the first production year but didn’t know what was causing it. I could see a situation where at idle it’s only pumping 7-8 psi would causes it but idk.
Such failures are always due to either a material or design defect.

I had a high mileage truck that ram M1 in. Got some Edge on sale and within 1k miles my seals were leaking like a sieve. I drained it out at 1500 and went back to M1 and the leaks stopped. Sold the truck with 347k on engine, still running strong!

Ford told our mechanics to run a higher zinc oil when they rebuilt our 7.3 w 87k miles. Our mechanics went with Schaeffer 5w30 as it has a higher zinc. If I was you I would run a Euro 5w30, 5w40 or M1 HM 10w40 and change at 3-5k intervals. Good luck and hopefully yours won't eat it's cam.

Ford told our mechanics to run a higher zinc oil when they rebuilt our 7.3 w 87k miles. Our mechanics went with Schaeffer 5w30 as it has a higher zinc. If I was you I would run a Euro 5w30, 5w40 or M1 HM 10w40 and change at 3-5k intervals. Good luck and hopefully yours won't eat it's cam.

What oil were you running up to 87k miles?

Looking at the available VOA’s would amsoil 5w30 euro be okay? It’s on the thicker side of the 30 weight oils, but would the extra phosphorus damage my cat?

I had a high mileage truck that ram M1 in. Got some Edge on sale and within 1k miles my seals were leaking like a sieve. I drained it out at 1500 and went back to M1 and the leaks stopped. Sold the truck with 347k on engine, still running strong!
Once the seals leaked from the Castrol Edge it seems quite strange that a return to the M1 solved the issue. Must be some special oil for sure. Even with a High Mileage version I would be very skeptical the seals would be returned to health that quickly.

Looking at the available VOA’s would amsoil 5w30 euro be okay? It’s on the thicker side of the 30 weight oils, but would the extra phosphorus damage my cat?
Only if it gets there in a large quantity. All "Euro" vehicles that list an approval like that have catalytic converters as well, right?

How bad of an oil burner is it? 1 quart in 500 miles?

Its only a few dollars more for the Mobil-1 EP Triple Action.. Well worth $3 or-so more.

Two Valvoline Oil Change Shops close-by offer bulk synblend or full syn purchased in quart jugs. It's why there's a huge price difference between the two.

It seems like it's taking forever to find the new Castrol Edge EP 25k formulation on store shelves. Seems odd to advertise it so far in-advance of the product introduction.

Last edited:
Back