This call is being recorded - interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had cause to call Chase today. When the customer service rep told me that the call was being recorded I (jokingly - but not in tone) said that I was recording the conversation too. She immediately said that she had to terminate the call and sent me to a voice mail for her supervisor.

I found it odd (not really) that they want the right to record your conversation, yet seek to deny you the same option.

I don't record conversations, but may start. I don't think there would be legal precedence involved since the other party already knows that they're being recorded. In fact both parties do. The only undisclosed item is that both parties are mutually recording the interaction.

You do - it's called buying a call recorder. All you have to do is tell the person you're recording them.

Chase wants a legal out, they however, don't want you to have one...
29.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I had cause to call Chase today. When the customer service rep told me that the call was being recorded I (jokingly - but not in tone) said that I was recording the conversation too. She immediately said that she had to terminate the call and sent me to a voice mail for her supervisor.

I found it odd (not really) that they want the right to record your conversation, yet seek to deny you the same option.

"Odd" is putting it quite kindly. I'd have left a fairly stinging message for his supervisor. Something to the effect of "I had a minor problem with you but now I have a big problem. I expect a prompt response, and I definitely will be recording it."

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't record conversations, but may start. I don't think there would be legal precedence involved since the other party already knows that they're being recorded. In fact both parties do. The only undisclosed item is that both parties are mutually recording the interaction.

Look it up but you might be right.

Some states allow you to record your intrastate phone conversations as long as you are a part of the conversation. In some states you are allowed to do so without informing the other party.

I used to work in a call center back in college and the main reason we record calls is for training new employees.

Regarding to recording from CC company. If you want to confirm that they agree on something with you, you can always send them an email saying that such and such is what we discussed in the phone conversation and we agreed on such and such, and if that is not correct, please call and continue until we agree.

Even with recording, they can always make mistakes and retract what they offered. So a formal email agreement should be better if that concerns you.

we have a call center where i work. every call is recorded to cover us. however the reps do not have to tell the caller they are being recorded and i do not believe it is part of the IVR system either.

maybe texas is one of those states where it doesnt need to be stated? not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about when they say "this call is being recorded" you say "thank you for acknowledging that" -- would this be "legal" in terms of informing them that they're being recorded? It's kind of weasely, but technically, you'd have them on record as acknowledging that the call is being recorded.....just not clearly by whom.

Recording a call didn't help one CC firm with my Dad, though. He got suckered into one of those credit-protection plans where they give you 30 days to look over the paperwork and if you send it back in time, they'll not enroll you. So basically they're counting on you to forget to send the stuff back and then auto-enroll you. That's what happened with my Dad and he called to raise a stink about it. The person on the other end insisted that they had my Dad on record as agreeing to take the coverage, and his response was "fine, then play me the recording."

Suddenly, the policy was cancelled and the charges removed from his account.
lol.gif

We used the recording tactic with some company that used to call us about window installation. They were really obnoxious about it, they would call all times of the day, sometimes at night, and despite being told numerous times that we don't want them to call again, they still did, we could not take it anymore.

So, I told my wife, since most of the times she talked to them, to say that we are recording this conversation and that if they call again, especially after normal business hours, we will inform police for harassment. They never called again
grin2.gif

I called an insurance company's bluff about having me recorded as saying something that I didn't. I said fine play it back for me now. They got 2 supervisor's on and went through a lot of hubbub (I guess thinking I would back down) only to end up saying they "lost the recording" lol.

Very interesting. If you have time, I would recommend calling them, asking for a supervisor or perhaps two levels up, and asking them explicitly why this happened.

It would be very insightful for everyone...

I must admit I get sick of hearing on every call you are being recorded for training purposes. Part of me thinks they tell you that to keep wacko Joe's from threatening the callers.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I called an insurance company's bluff about having me recorded as saying something that I didn't. I said fine play it back for me now. They got 2 supervisor's on and went through a lot of hubbub (I guess thinking I would back down) only to end up saying they "lost the recording" lol.
depending on their recording software that may or may not be impossible.

the one our call center uses is NEC's XtRecorder. It saves the file at the end of a call, you cant stop it mid call, not to mention it plays through the computer's speakers (provided it even has them... most call centers would probably not allow the reps to have speakers at their desk) so there'd be no way to pipe it back to you.

just.. sayin.

Back in November I decided to get a second mobile phone complete with a second number...here is NYC "917" area codes are VERY coveted and because of this are recycled and reused very quickly. Well I requested another 917 number and then [censored] began... Basically the number belonged to someone who had some serious money problems as I would receive anywhere from 5-15 calls per day from Chase Mortgage. The odd thing was that after going through this for a few days I researched the numbers that were calling me and other people had been receiving the same calls without any good reason.

Turns out that scammers use a certain type of technology known as "spoofing" which allows them to show up on your caller ID as any number they want...this particular scam, known as phishing schemes used Chase Mortgage's customer service number.

After a week and a half of this nonsense I decided to have fun with this and began to harass the people trying to get my information. Started off with very vulgar, personal insults then progressed to me clearly and forcefully stating that I am in the FBI and this call is not only being recorded but the call location is being traced and will be kept on file...this REALLY got the scammers scared and hostile at the same time.

Turns out this is a real problem that many legit companies face as these phone spoofers are perfectly legal. The sad part of the story is that the calls never stopped. I kept the number for 3 weeks or so and decided that having two smart phones was excessive and more of a hinderance than convenience. If I actually needed the number I don't know what I would have done...

Police have the same 'right'.
For example, they can videotape and record you when pulling you over for a traffic violation.
You can and will be arrested for even using your cell phone to record sound or video of them, however.
One incident was in the Chicago Sun Times about a particular woman who tried this and felt the full crush of the law because of it.

A one way gate.

Gary, I am so adding that to my arsenal of dealing with callers.

(Just found out that Oz' do not call register only lasts for 3 years, too)

If people call me cold, they deserve what they get. Being mostly deaf doesnt help them either. Usually it is some sweet young thing who was born abroad. I hear this lovely speech delivered at a fairly rapid clip. It is a flat stone skipping over the lagoon of my brain. " Honey, I cant understand a word you are saying!" CLICK

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Police have the same 'right'.
For example, they can videotape and record you when pulling you over for a traffic violation.
You can and will be arrested for even using your cell phone to record sound or video of them, however.
One incident was in the Chicago Sun Times about a particular woman who tried this and felt the full crush of the law because of it.

A one way gate.

Link? I always record the police anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back