Foreign visitors in a public place ask that they not be recorded during a YouTube livestream

Interesting. The same woman was previously there during a livestream . They claim to have been waiting there to use the piano and that there was some sort of exclusive rights to their image there to be used as part of some Chinese New Year broadcast.

That’s because you cannot have a homogeneous society anymore. Diversity at all costs, so that the subjects cannot agree on anything, never mind actually do something about it, like an increasingly tyrannical government.
Growing up in NYC and living in NY my whole life (moved out of the city when I got married at 27) I'm quite familiar with 'diversity'...and it ain't all they crack it up to be. Different cultures will clash on issues especially when one culture starts to 'outgrow' the others....look at the 'no go' zones in France and even in Britain (I think) where the police stay away. The thing about 'diversity' that gets me is that the people who push it usually live in the most
non diverse areas...their common thread being wealth. You'll never see 'low income housing' being built in wealthy neighborhoods.

My understanding about those yellow pieces of paper they were carrying was that it was some sort of note to show to other people. The intent was that they were there with an agreement for exclusive broadcast rights to whatever performance they were going to record themselves at that piano. The note was something to the effect that they had some exclusive rights to that performance and were not to be recorded by anyone else if said "unauthorized" video were uploaded to any video sites. Or something to that effect.

Which is ludicrous. They were in a public place and nobody else there was a party to the their agreement. I remember the various subway busking videos by Jimmy Fallon with acts like Maroon 5, Miley Cyrus, or U2. There have been videos posted to YouTube of the same performances that were captured by someone in the crowd.

In public place, don't want to be recorded - stay away from cameras. If country you are in has laws prohibiting recording without consent then it's a different story.

The group has gone to the internet to tell their side of the story, and just get crazier. Apparently they had some sort of "contract" to provide a video, but the recording and that they'd done it had to be kept secret until it was released. Which I suppose is why they chose a location at a mall connected to the busiest international railway station in the UK. They seem to be unclear on the concept of maintaining secrecy when recording in a public place.

I would note that "foreign visitors" might not be accurate, but at this point I can't really edit the title or the original post.

It takes a lot of nerve to come into a country and start telling the natives what do do....and it's not that surprising that the 'authorities' kowtow to the visitors rather than upholding the rights of Britons.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Arrogant Chinese tourists and a woke police officer that was taken in because the police rather than addressing real crimes are more obsessed these days with what people might say in public or in social media in case it offends someone. The first officer interpreted the law correctly. If they didn't want to be filmed in public they had the choice of moving on but instead the choice they made was to to provoke an incident and become offended.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Arrogant Chinese tourists and a woke police officer that was taken in because the police rather than addressing real crimes are more obsessed these days with what people might say in public or in social media in case it offends someone. The first officer interpreted the law correctly. If they didn't want to be filmed in public they had the choice of moving on but instead the choice they made was to to provoke an incident and become offended.

They've been identified and the entire group seemed to be settled in the UK and possibly even UK nationals through naturalization. I might have been ahead of myself thinking they were foreign visitors.

It was really weird because there were so many moving parts and they brought up image rights as well as some nondisclosure agreement they signed about the activities they were doing at the station/mall. And the gist is that they had an agreement that their activities had to be super secret until their video was broadcast, but required that they record everything in a train station/mall.

giphy.gif

I have heard of many people from China asserting themselves around the world with "Do you know where I'm from" in a way that seems to suggest that they're from China should mean more respect be given to their concerns.
Lol my reply would be "aren't you from China? the land of lumpy tires and crispy plastics?"

I probably lost 50 social credit for this post

They've been identified and the entire group seemed to be settled in the UK and possibly even UK nationals through naturalization. I might have been ahead of myself thinking they were foreign visitors.

It was really weird because there were so many moving parts and they brought up image rights as well as some nondisclosure agreement they signed about the activities they were doing at the station/mall. And the gist is that they had an agreement that their activities had to be super secret until their video was broadcast, but required that they record everything in a train station/mall.

Frankly, nothing that's been revealed since helps their case.

They were still in a public place, and while they may have been bound by NDAs, others are not, nor are they responsible for keeping your secret. If the piano guy was intentionally taking footage of them, and others, he'd have to get releases, but he wasn't going around shooting other people, was he?

A professional crew would know that when shooting in public, the onus, so to speak, is always on them to conduct themselves without being disruptive, or breaking any laws. Not the other way around. The tail does not wag the dog.

Finally, common sense would tell most people that if you don't want to be captured, get out of the shot. Even the most basic tourist knows to scurry out of the way when someone else is taking a picture, and they don't want to be in it. Common courtesy.

It would be a shame if this lead to some sort of permanent removal of the pianos, or something of that nature, perverting the reason why they were put there to begin with.

They were still in a public place, and while they may have been bound by NDAs, others are not, nor are they responsible for keeping your secret. If the piano guy was intentionally taking footage of them, and others, he'd have to get releases, but he wasn't going around shooting other people, was he?

It’s been noted that one member of that group had a body worn camera and was likely recording everything. So they seemed to believe that since they signed something, that they had superior rights for image and recording.

Once they started approaching him it became newsworthy. That typically grounds for any loss of privacy, especially in a public setting.

He's still worried that YouTube might take it down due to complaints and has relinquished the copyright to that video to anyone. He's also answering the issue about whether or not he was hogging the piano, and he started playing at the start of the livestream and it's for under 10 minutes at which time someone actually came to him (from a Japanese TV crew) to tell them this Chinese crew was looking to use the piano and he indicates that he would have relinquished it if asked. Also many have been claiming that he was intentionally mocking them by claiming they were Japanese, but he indicates that he was a bit confused because they were standing next to the Japanese TV crew and he only asked if they were part of their group.

I don't know about this one, but most of these expatriate groups are vehemently opposed to the present government of China. That doesn't mean they must be good people, but don't blindly paint them as "commies."

Last edited:
I don't know about this one, but most of these expatriate groups are vehemently opposed to the present government of China. That doesn't mean they must be good people, but don't blindly paint them as "commies."

This group was supposedly preparing a video greeting for a CCTV (state broadcaster) program. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything about their politics though.

I know a few vehemently pro PRC people who were never PRC citizens. They’re ethnic Chinese US citizens who have hitched their wagon to China’s increasing influence and wealth.

Back