Things getting real now

So just back from a trip. Talked to my real brother out in Carlisle PA area. His work told him within the next two months he has to take a month off work without pay. Talk bout a kick in the rear. Glad my work is doing well. Twist of irony, his boss just gave him a 2% raise earlier this month.

Keep him in your thoughts. He’s a saver and penny pincher like me.

Sorry to rant or vent also.

maybe he can pick up some sort of temp agency/contract work somewhere? Might be good to explore other jobs/employers as he has no guarantee things won't go downhill even worse at his present job.

Also, he might use the time off to schedule any dental/medical exams/procedures/tests and get caught up on everything while still on the company medical/dental insurance coverage (for him, spouse, dependents) I recently had an overdue colonoscopy exam done, the bill was approx $ 4000 but with company medical insurance my deductible was about $ 40.

Last edited:
@53' Stude Has he been with his employer long term? That's an odd demand/request. I would take that as a permanent good bye.

I know in my line of work, it's tough to find anyone and most don't stick around. You could easily make a career out of it as well.

@53' Stude Has he been with his employer long term? That's an odd demand/request. I would take that as a permanent good bye.

I know in my line of work, it's tough to find anyone and most don't stick around. You could easily make a career out of it as well.
He has been with the company since line 2002. Had multiple raises and a solid worker.

Good luck to your brother, @53' Stude . Is there any temp stuff in your area? Heck, take anything. Maybe unemployment? He's earned it.
Oh yeah a reduction in hours/pay qualifies for unemployment but usually it doesn't pay anywhere near enough as a regular job.

But yeah a one month layoff in what is supposed to be a hot job market is a signal that maybe it's time to look for another job.

1 month. vacay. nice.
learn a new skill, disappear, options.
that what I would do; re-invent yourself and never look back

I wish my employer would do that to me, i'd jump on something else just like that

that being said, some folks are near the end of their working career and changing jobs/careers so close to the 'end' is too much work and a pain in the *ss at this point.
Right?

I mean I like the concept and wouldn't mind having the opportunity, but when you have a family of 6 to take care of, the finding yourself thing takes a back burner.

that being said, some folks are near the end of their working career and changing jobs/careers so close to the 'end' is too much work and a pain in the *ss at this point.
of course everyone's situation is different

when I wrote the post from above, I was alluding life situations request planning ahead and have a retreat plan if life happens down the road

no matter what stage of life one's in, you got to have a plan B or C

He is a mechanical engineer
I'm a mechanical engineer too. And those types of events are why I became a physician.

My brother graduated from engineering in 1960 and couldn't find a job for 6 months. And his first job was as a draftsman. I graduated in 1971 (with Great Distinction) and had a good job coming out of college. But within a year there were thousands of unemployed engineers in Canada. If I had lost my job or the company had folded I'd have been unemployed too. There simply were no jobs for engineers.

I thought about what it would be like if I was 50 or 60 and in the same situation. I knew that there was always work for doctors, I was good in school and still in my early 20s, so why not?

Back