Thicker or lighter oil? 0w-40 or 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I think we are basically saying the same thing. The German law simply requires the majority of the base to be synthetic; >50%. So it is quite possible for the C3 lubricant to have some Group III in it. But it won't be the majority of the base oil, and the numbers in the MSDS support that with the 50-75% PAO figure. Contrarily, the 0w-40 @ 25-50% PAO will be majority Group III as we've both noted at this juncture.

Do you have a reference for this? ExxonMobil says that a vollsynthese (German full synthetic) is 100% PAO. Note that POE is also synthetic and not shown in MSDS because it's not hazardous. Additive package could be around 20%; so, the remaining balance in the MSDS could be POE.

My guess is that a vollsynthese (German full synthetic) doesn't have any Group III.

It was due to an exchange in one of the threads on here years ago. I did a quick Google trying to locate something more concrete but couldn't come up with anything other than a few German forum posts where the number 80% was being tossed around
21.gif

Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwh
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwh
Hey guys, I will stick with Castrol 0W-40. I had also already bought some for my next oil change.

But I made an interesting discovery. My 335is basically has the same engine as the BMW 1M Series coupe.

If you check at the official dealer BMW oil 0W-40, it lists it is for the 1M Series coupe, M2, new M3 and the new M4. So I guess 0W-40 is actually the deifnite oil for the car.

But then you guys mentioned Shell oil 0W-40 compared to Castrol's 0W-40 doesn't specifically mean they are same viscosity? Or in this case they are since they are both BMW LL01? Is that it if I understand correctly.

No, Longlife-01 oil is the definite oil for the car. The grade is largely irrelevant, only coming into play if you live in a very cold climate.

Ok but a lot of people are running Non LL01 oil and it's fine. I personally wouldn't do it because you never know but it's not just LL01 that is important here... the grade is to. I'm not going to put 10W-60 BMW oil in there lol. And it's LL01

10W-60 is NOT LL01 approved. Never was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back