Thicker or lighter oil? 0w-40 or 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should consider running a different oil in the summer if you can swing it. Your car is modded, factory oil specs are less important now.

I'd want a thicker HDEO if I was planning to beat on it in the heat in the summer. I get that Edge 0W40 is a stout oil, but you don't need at 0W for most of the year or perhaps at all this far south.

The 5W-40 oils are usually formulated to the thicker end of the 40 weight.scale. You are greatly increasing the load you are putting on the engine when in high boost.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Why is a 40 even a thought? What temps you driving in? Just run your 0w30 in Canada.

Because it's the OEM approved lubricant? Good Lord, my SRT also calls for 0w-40, and I'm in Canada.

The Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT is one of the thinnest synthetic 40 grades out there. It's really not much more than a 0w-30. Viscosity of 12.2 cSt at 100 deg C when new is quite a bit weaker than the old Castrol Edge 0w-30. And other than the Moly, it's not much of an pack nor a starting TBN. Plenty of better 0w-40 grades out there. In the end, it comes down to who's 30 grade vs. 40 grade we're talking about. I think this SRT oil goes into the Dodge Hellcats too.

VOA for Pennzoil Plat 0w-40-SRT

If I were the OP and my performance car was barely reaching min oil temp, I might be tempted to block off the oil cooler fins and/or a portion of the radiator. When I used to drive my '69 GTX in the winter I would block off about 2/3 of the radiator to ensure I got a nice hotter oil run in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Why is a 40 even a thought? What temps you driving in? Just run your 0w30 in Canada.

Because it's the OEM approved lubricant? Good Lord, my SRT also calls for 0w-40, and I'm in Canada.

The Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT is one of the thinnest synthetic 40 grades out there. It's really not much more than a 0w-30. Viscosity of 12.2 cSt at 100 deg C when new is quite a bit weaker than the old Castrol Edge 0w-30. And other than the Moly, it's not much of an pack nor a starting TBN. Plenty of better 0w-40 grades out there.

I agree. I presently have a pan full of Edge 0w-40 and have a fair bit of M1 FS 0w-40 in my stash. Only OCI on the Pennzoil SRT stuff was the first one.

Wow so Penzoil is that terrible? I saw in the recent months some news on it how it was best oil and bla bla bla because it was from Natural gas and all that. I guess I'll cross Penzoil off.

Let's hope Castrol still makes my 0W-40 BMW LL01 for a while then, it's getting hard to find in Canada. Had to buy some in the states if I wanted reasonable pricing.

Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwh
Wow so Penzoil is that terrible? I saw in the recent months some news on it how it was best oil and bla bla bla because it was from Natural gas and all that. I guess I'll cross Penzoil off.

Let's hope Castrol still makes my 0W-40 BMW LL01 for a while then, it's getting hard to find in Canada. Had to buy some in the states if I wanted reasonable pricing.

The SRT Pennzoil product is not a Euro oil, so it is not directly comparable to Edge 0w-40 or M1 FS 0w-40.

The SRT Pennzoil product is not a Euro oil, so it is not directly comparable to Edge 0w-40 or M1 FS 0w-40.

Oh okok.

If I were to get Penzoil it would have been the PENNZOIL PLATINUM EURO 0w-30.

But I think BMW store oil is now Penzoil right. Or at least shell.

Oh okok.

Yes, but the PP Euro 0W-30 doesn't have LL-01. The Euro 5W-30 does.

Originally Posted by rsalan

Oh okok.

Yeah, and their 0w-40 isn't LL-01 either I noticed. Really only Castrol still tugging that boat at this juncture in terms of readily available OTS 0w-40's with LL-01.

Oh okok.

Wow really? How come. I couldn't check because I was browsing the oil online and it wasn't listed.

TheMidnightNarwh said:
OVERKILL said:
TheMidnightNarwh said:

Yeah, and their 0w-40 isn't LL-01 either I noticed. Really only Castrol still tugging that boat at this juncture in terms of readily available OTS 0w-40's with LL-01.

Yeah I'm starting to notice that for oil at parts store.

Any reason behind this? BMW still need the LL01 spec, at least based of the official paperwork.

Last edited:
OVERKILL said:
TheMidnightNarwh said:

Yeah I'm starting to notice that for oil at parts store.

Any reason behind this? BMW still need the LL01 spec, at least based of the official paperwork.

No one really knows the reasoning. Maybe they think that having the Euro 5W-30 available covers that base. I would try that if I still had my 335i.

If you're set on a 0W-30, I don't know of any other OTS options with LL-01. I'd probably stick with the Castrol Edge 0W-40 in that case.

Last edited:
It's always available, often on sale at Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's always available, often on sale at Canadian Tire.

Oh it goes on sale? How much is it then? When I saw the 5L was 60$ regular I was like FML.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You're out of warranty and already pushing more boost, why not just use a heavy duty oil like this?

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-xsp-sae-5w-30.html

What advantage is there in Delo conventional?

More viscosity, more ZDDP compared to your ILSAC GF-5 lubricants. HDEO is a good choice for just about any high power application as long as LSPI is not a concern.

If I really, truly couldn't get a reasonably priced Longlife-01 oil as I do at Walmart, I'd probably just get one that has Porsche A40 and call it a day. Like Longlife-01, what grade is printed on the label at that point doesn't matter.

If so, I planned on getting some Penzoil Euro Platinum 0w30.

FWIW I have been running said oil since early November in our GOLF R (turbocharged 2.0-liter). (A UOA will be done sometime in the spring 2019.)

In those temperatures the 2 oils aren't enough difference to make a difference. You could run warmer thermostat in winter or block grill to heat faster which sounds like what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back