The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

3k oil changer navigates the BITOG River

IMG_0287.jpeg

For knowledgeable OCI enthusiasts, this video isn’t for you.

For ignorant, forgetful, or otherwise uninterested car owners; an overkill recommendation followed half the time (equating to 6k mile OCIs in practice)…in that context the video recommendations (sadly yet admittedly) is a necessity.

The problem lies in the discrepancy between one context and the actual needs:

Do BITOG members have to blindly follow 3K mile OCIs? No, we generally are making more educated and informed choices.

But, casual and uninterested ones? “Oh yeah, I was supposed to get the oil changed a while back?” (Still gets it done at 5k because of the 3k recommendation)

In that sense and from that perspective, it’s an understandable video. A necessary evil perhaps? 🫣🤣

For knowledgeable OCI enthusiasts, this video isn’t for you.

For ignorant, forgetful, or otherwise uninterested car owners; an overkill recommendation followed half the time (equating to 6k mile OCIs in practice)…in that context the video recommendations (sadly yet admittedly) is a necessity.

The problem lies in the discrepancy between one context and the actual needs:

Do BITOG members have to blindly follow 3K mile OCIs? No, we generally are making more educated and informed choices.

But, casual and uninterested ones? “Oh yeah, I was supposed to get the oil changed a while back?” (Still gets it done at 5k because of the 3k recommendation)

In that sense and from that perspective, it’s an understandable video. A necessary evil perhaps? 🫣🤣
Considering many average owners may actually never change their oil or forget for a long time/miss changes, the more frequent advice is sound.

Dave also does engines for daily driver vehicles and some fleet equipment. I dont know what the exact mix is but I have seen numerous videos of standard builds.
Dave seems like a genuine guy in a business/industry full of less than honest people. They seem to get a percentage of work that comes from other shops that messed up.
I’ll have to check that out, I have only seen some of his videos…usually it’s typical diagnostic stuff.

LSJ (Per Post #4) Summary:

Use Top Tier Fuel
Lower viscosity oils improve start up wear
Change your oil way more often manufacturers recommendations. Manufacturers get CAFE breaks for extended oil change intervals.
Drive the vehicle, don't baby it

Dave/Engine Builder Summary:

Most of the engines we rebuild failed due to lack of maintenance therefore we recommend doing more maintenance.
Manufacturers are just trying to get engines out of warranty (which should be BITOG approved cause you’ll find this statement in spades with an open search)
We require 3000 miles oil changes for our engine warranty (keep in mind the first comment - these people didn’t do maintenance and blew an engine. Good business position, I think.)

Nothing too crazy, misguided or controversial here IMO. Maybe the title of the video is click bait - sure - but welcome to the internet.
For me, Chevron, once a month. [Use Top Tier Fuel]
I use very thin oil, specially designed for cold starts. [Lower viscosity oils improve start up wear]
30k mile OCI with data, and critical thinking re my individual circumstances ie gradually extended OCIs + UOAs. The motives of manufacturers and CAFE mean zero to me. [Change your oil way more often...}
I drive 365 days/year and ALWAYS start slow for the first ten minutes. The oil circulates, coats, and numerous engine components heat up and expand. Then I let 'er rip. [Drive the vehicle, don't baby it]

TGMO 0W8 is $21/qt.
I use 0W8 oil of significantly higher quality, designed, again, for cold starts, and also designed for greatly extended OCIs.
High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus PCMO 0W8.
It is not much more per quart than TGMO.
The Return On Investment is fantastic.

Dave just posted a video of a destroyed Infiniti, top model, where the owner completely neglected such a simple task as frequently checking the level and condition of the motor oil.
I guess if a motorist is too feeble to do that, let alone become well informed on the subject of oil, your vehicle, and your individual conditions, the least you can do is change your oil every 3000 miles LOL.

I am very new to the site and to oil analysis, having just done one so far.

My simplistic question is: Are there engine problems that do NOT show up in some way in an oil analysis, and if so, what might they be?

I am very new to the site and to oil analysis, having just done one so far.

My simplistic question is: Are there engine problems that do NOT show up in some way in an oil analysis, and if so, what might they be?
When all the "wear metals" even if low, come from one location like the top ring turn around point or #4 camshaft exhaust lobe.
Other events that will destroy an engine like high rpm, pre-ignition, no oil pressure, etc.
No oil pressure can occur when the winter grade is not matched to the ambient.

Last edited:
Are there any YTers who don’t catch hate around here? Amateurs get trashed. Professionals get trashed. Trash talkers get trashed.

I imagine it is pretty hard to create compelling content on the regular about something as mundane as oil. I’ve seen less shade tossed at the junior high school girls lunch table. Give him a break. Let him eat.
This is just a negative place.

Use Top Tier Fuel
Lower viscosity oils improve start up wear
Change your oil way more often manufacturers recommendations. Manufacturers get CAFE breaks for extended oil change intervals.
Drive the vehicle, don't baby it
I watched the whole video, and that was it all in all in a nutshell.

Back