The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

Two marginal YT champs combine to make a video. Color me unimpressed.
Typical click-bait; as if they know the "truth" and no one else knows a thing about the topic?

These are often the people when confronted with factual data reply with....."That is your perception." Never any fact patters that are independently proven as such.

I see where the one dude is coming from saying that extended OCIs are to get the vehicle out of warranty. And TCO is a thing.

But we aren't seeing mass amounts of engine failures as an industry trend, and the average mileage on vehicles has been trending up.

So on the one hand they're touting new metal and material science and then sticking to old OCIs. Interesting.

Key points,

3000 OCI
Lower viscosity / Faster Flow to important engine areas

Well, not sure what these engines cost - but oil cost is likely peanuts in the grand scheme … these guys live in the performance world - and trying to connect outside of it is awkward at best …

The faster flow has never been a good term - only the flow distribution of lube is impacted by viscosity …

Last edited:
I see where the one dude is coming from saying that extended OCIs are to get the vehicle out of warranty.

I never understood this logic.

If your engine fails right after your warranty expires, you're not gonna want to buy that brand of car again.

Some people buy extended warranty. If the automaker designed the OCI only to get through the standard warranty, those people will be making a lot of warranty claims.

If you buy a used car and it's burning oil, you're less likely to buy that car new.

We also see automakers where reliability is supposed to be one of the main selling points using "extended" OCIs.

This argument borders on conspiracy theory to me.

Typical click-bait; as if they know the "truth" and no one else knows a thing about the topic?
Apparently the nerdy looking guy is a tribologist so he has some credentials. The old saying, change your oil hot and change it often, is still good advice. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. No engine has failed because the oil was changed too often.

Apparently the nerdy looking guy is a tribologist so he has some credentials. The old saying, change your oil hot and change it often, is still good advice. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. No engine has failed because the oil was changed too often.
I’d venture to say that there is a (sometimes silent) crowd here that still feels that way - however 5k is the new 3k …

"The number one thing affecting the oil is the fuel" (7:05). I guess we don't need these BITOG OCI threads any more. ;)

(Short attention span) This is all I need to know. Thanks. Maybe I'll finish it up another day.

I'm not a newbie here and I also say that 3k oil changes are a complete waste of time and money. There are only a few rare circumstances where it might be necessary (excessive fuel dilution for example) but in those cases it's best to sort out the issues than to just apply a band aid fix of a 3k oil change. (Of course racing applications are a different ball game in terms of their OCIs but I'm talking about regular passenger cars here)

Never make a 5 minute video when a 30 minute video will do 🤪 :sleep:

I'm not a newbie here and I also say that 3k oil changes are a complete waste of time and money. There are only a few rare circumstances where it might be necessary (excessive fuel dilution for example) but in those cases it's best to sort out the issues than to just apply a band aid fix of a 3k oil change. (Of course racing applications are a different ball game in terms of their OCIs but I'm talking about regular passenger cars here)
You get it.

EDIT: 13:30He says " ...straight (SAE) 30 oils don't have any additives at all". Huh??

Can you (or anyone, really) please quantify what excessive fuel dilution vs. normal is?

Back