The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

I was a little surprised that Lake Speed did seem to endorse lower oil change intervals, while also hedging that, mentioning analysis/climate/fuel/commute, whatever.

As for the other guy, the thing I don’t understand is he seems to be claiming or inferring that they are in the engine rebuild/engine build/engine repair business in large part because people are not changing their oil frequently enough, yet isn’t his shop more of a performance engine rebuild shop? I know they do automotive repairs, but when you look at the engines he has laying around that place, it’s not like there’s Toyota/Nissan/whatever, engines laying all over the floor because manufacturer recommended oil change intervals destroyed them. Or am I wrong?

I look forward to seeing some new YouTube oil personalities coming onto the scene soon with fresh hard-hitting oil content based in the responses in this thread. I'll subscribe and if your lucky the BITOG overlords will allow your videos to be posted here!
I thought you already have a channel?

What are you defending here? You seem to have repeated this theme.

No one said it's bad to like the guy. A couple challenges to his words and thoughts expressed is mostly what I'm reading.

I thought you already have a channel?

What are you defending here? You seem to have repeated this theme.

No one said it's bad to like the guy. A couple challenges to his words and thoughts expressed is mostly what I'm reading.
With all the so-called experts (anonymous mind you) around this place AND the fact that many here trash/second-guess/whatever you want to call it the YouTube lube guys, I'm surprised some of the BITOG knowledge powers that be haven't started their own YouTube channel(s) to set the record straight and preach the truth. That's what I was getting at. I'll smash that like and subscribe if they do!

With all the so-called experts (anonymous mind you) around this place AND the fact that many here trash/second-guess/whatever you want to call it the YouTube lube guys, I'm surprised some of the BITOG knowledge powers that be haven't started their own YouTube channel(s) to set the record straight and preach the truth. That's what I was getting at. I'll smash that like and subscribe if they do!
I think a certain high pitch whiny tester guy and a clown who preaches while "working" on cars set a bad tone. I can't stand those guys!!! ahhahahahahahhahaha

I think a certain high pitch whiny tester guy and a clown who preaches while "working" on cars set a bad tone. I can't stand those guys!!! ahhahahahahahhahaha
C’mon man … behind the stadium …

IMG_2168.jpg

My daily driver is a 2006 Chevy Aveo with almost 260K miles on it. Still runs perfectly and I have never had to add a drop of oil during 7.5K OCI's. Use regular old M1 5-30. Did the same with 2 Geo Metro 1L 3 cylinder motors. Got 185 and 186K miles out of them before they rotted to death. One of them was either consuming or leaking a quart every 1K miles or so at the end. The other didn't use any.

To be honest, I think the thread title should have been “Another perspective on oil change intervals and analysis”.

I think a big part of the contention in this thread is the presumption that LSJ has published an absolute “truth” when his position does have room for critique.

My daily driver is a 2006 Chevy Aveo with almost 260K miles on it. Still runs perfectly and I have never had to add a drop of oil during 7.5K OCI's. Use regular old M1 5-30. Did the same with 2 Geo Metro 1L 3 cylinder motors. Got 185 and 186K miles out of them before they rotted to death. One of them was either consuming or leaking a quart every 1K miles or so at the end. The other didn't use any.

Port injection. The glory days of engines IMO. On top of that, you are a hero for driving an Aveo for 260K miles!

LSJ (Per Post #4) Summary:

Use Top Tier Fuel
Lower viscosity oils improve start up wear
Change your oil way more often manufacturers recommendations. Manufacturers get CAFE breaks for extended oil change intervals.
Drive the vehicle, don't baby it

Dave/Engine Builder Summary:

Most of the engines we rebuild failed due to lack of maintenance therefore we recommend doing more maintenance.
Manufacturers are just trying to get engines out of warranty (which should be BITOG approved cause you’ll find this statement in spades with an open search)
We require 3000 miles oil changes for our engine warranty (keep in mind the first comment - these people didn’t do maintenance and blew an engine. Good business position, I think.)

Nothing too crazy, misguided or controversial here IMO. Maybe the title of the video is click bait - sure - but welcome to the internet.

I was a little surprised that Lake Speed did seem to endorse lower oil change intervals, while also hedging that, mentioning analysis/climate/fuel/commute, whatever.

As for the other guy, the thing I don’t understand is he seems to be claiming or inferring that they are in the engine rebuild/engine build/engine repair business in large part because people are not changing their oil frequently enough, yet isn’t his shop more of a performance engine rebuild shop? I know they do automotive repairs, but when you look at the engines he has laying around that place, it’s not like there’s Toyota/Nissan/whatever, engines laying all over the floor because manufacturer recommended oil change intervals destroyed them. Or am I wrong?
Dave also does engines for daily driver vehicles and some fleet equipment. I dont know what the exact mix is but I have seen numerous videos of standard builds.
Dave seems like a genuine guy in a business/industry full of less than honest people. They seem to get a percentage of work that comes from other shops that messed up.

A good dialog for these guys would be,

"So frequent oil changes are good. Should I change my oil every 100 miles?"

"No, that's too often."

"Should I change it every 1000 miles?"

"No, that's too often."

"Should I change it every 3000 miles?"

"Yes, that's about right."

"Why? What data do you have to recommend 3000 instead of 2000 or 4000?"

If they don't have data, they're just rehashing talking points from somebody else.
Yeah it's just flat out dumb. Period. Makes no sense at all.

They would call it "The Sleep Channel"

I mumble in a deepish tone, ramble on, forget where I was. Terrible. :sleep: :poop:

You know the opposite of Lake and about most all other YT content!!🤪:p:D
I'm ready to subscribe!

Back