The truth about oil change intervals and analysis

Fuel Dilution.

The new bogey man.

There are ways to control and ameliorate fuel dilution.
I would argue it could have always been and "issue" but DI engines have made it much more commonplace. There is no argument that fuel, when mixed with oil, will change its characteristics. Couple that with todays mechanically un inclined, and you have a recipe for terrible engine life.

There is no argument that fuel, when mixed with oil, will change its characteristics.
It pretty much oxidizes the oil (particularly partially oxidized fuel) and can cause havoc. This is why it is a pretty scary bogey man. Good stable base oils and sufficient additives definitely are the best asset if it occurs. Sure oil changes are good, but with some lousy oil, heck 1000 miles might not be enough. Use a good oil, do the things that preclude the worst issues, and your engine could be good with annual oil changes.

It pretty much oxidizes the oil (particularly partially oxidized fuel) and can cause havoc. This is why it is a pretty scary bogey man. Good stable base oils and sufficient additives definitely are the best asset if it occurs. Sure oil changes are good, but with some lousy oil, heck 1000 miles might not be enough. Use a good oil, do the things that preclude the worst issues, and your engine could be good with annual oil changes.
I think folks survived the carburetor days with mono vis oils …
(Or had a separate summer and winter oil) …

Grows up whole life around racing, engines and oil.
Becomes a crew member on professional racing team.
Becomes certified in tribology.
Becomes head of R & D for oil on famous racing team.
Develops and blends oil for famous racing team.
Starts an independent oil analysis business.
Starts an oil related YT channel.
Makes YT video and talks about oil.

Some guy in comments “Pssh, BS…”
Need to add one more line:

"Wants people to click on his video for his profit".

I am not bashing him or anyone making money on YT. Heck my son does it pretty well.
But lets not be naive. Speed markets himself for clicks (profit).

Pretty sure he said "not bashing him or anyone making money on YT"

Seriously WHAT is the problem here?????
Content creators create content because they want people to see it and hopefully can monetize it. That is the entire purpose. That is the game. It is a statement that doesn’t really need stating. Like saying keep in mind that restaurant owner is in the restaurant business to make profit. Yeah, OK. And?

Content creators create content because they want people to see it and hopefully can monetize it. That is the entire purpose. That is the game. It is a statement that doesn’t really need stating. Like saying keep in mind that restaurant owner is in the restaurant business to make profit. Yeah, OK. And?
Exactly

Content creators create controversy Clicksters !

I agree 100%, and Amsoil has a high base number, so it would be very suitable for this. Many DI engine use oil pretty much from new......and i suppose if you top it off, you replace some of the base, and additives, so if one checks and tops off they should be good for an "extended period"

I no longer own a DI engine, but even in my dinosaur engines, I rarely go over 5k.

Short tripped, GDI, possibly turbocharged, possibly H/K engine :)poop:)-sure, I could see 3000 mile OCIs! Otherwise, pretty colossal waste of money. Coming from a money waster that changes M1 EP at 7500 in a port injected NA Toyota!

I can barely watch LSJ. Dave’s ok but his videos generally are about half “this is what the other guy fouled up” and half “ this is how great and smart I am” which is entertaining for a bit.

But you really have to take this stuff as entertainment with maybe a nugget of information here and there.

I can barely watch LSJ. Dave’s ok but his videos generally are about half “this is what the other guy fouled up” and half “ this is how great and smart I am” which is entertaining for a bit.

But you really have to take this stuff as entertainment with maybe a nugget of information here and there.
Like the hammer finds a nail..........he does a bunch of engines, because he finds a reason to do an engine. Wonder how much some of these cost?

I’d venture to say that there is a (sometimes silent) crowd here that still feels that way - however 5k is the new 3k …
… Unless you drive a Hyundai / Kia Theta II GDI engine - then the severe service 3,000 - 3,750 mile . 6 months OCI is perhaps the better option.

… Unless you drive a Hyundai / Kia Theta II GDI engine - then the severe service 3,000 - 3,750 mile . 6 months OCI is perhaps the better option.
Those things are gonna blow up no matter what. I don't think it's an issue with anything that is helped by an oil change. Hell my wife's engine got to 215,000 before it blew up, and we were doing 7500 OCIs on it.

1712349097617.jpg

Back