Texas about to do away with auto inspections

Sure, that is the slippery slope argument. But who gets to decide where the line is? Today must wear a helmet, tomorrow no motorcycles allowed, next week no cars either, only mass transit. Yes I know this is hyperbole but you get the point.

BTW I hate motorcycles. I don't want to be the one involved in an accident caused by there weaving speeding stupidity. But I am smart enough to understand banning something I don't like makes it easier to ban something I do.

The loss of wage earner is the telling one. Clearly proves were all just considered serf's to the system by TPTB at this point anyway.
I would say the issue isn't where to put the line but the fact that a line exists. For example hospitals are required to administer emergency care regardless of the patients ability to pay. Society continues to allow the consumption of tobacco when there is absolutely no health benefits from doing so yet the system will help pay for health complications arising from said consumption.

These are tradeoffs that society makes because we all do dumb things during out lifetime and those things can have a negative impact on others.

• Love
Reactions: D60
There are 13 states with no inspection of any kind. Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Washington, and Wyoming.

Is there a correlation to traffic accidents and deaths in these states vs others?
Not sure your nationwide data is relevant. AFAIK CO just has emissions (and only in a very small portion of the state). Now, I don't know if, say, an ABS or SRS light will fail you -- at which point you've arguably entered the "safety zone." @97prizm @c502cid do you know if the Colo emissions inspections encompass safety whatsoever?

Anyway I mention this because IF Colo had a lower accident rate (I have no idea) one might conclude it's a state with inspections and fewer accidents and wish to draw a correlation, but emissions is not a safety inspection.

Not sure your nationwide data is relevant. AFAIK CO just has emissions (and only in a very small portion of the state). Now, I don't know if, say, an ABS or SRS light will fail you -- at which point you've arguably entered the "safety zone." @97prizm @c502cid do you know if the Colo emissions inspections encompass safety whatsoever?

Anyway I mention this because IF Colo had a lower accident rate (I have no idea) one might conclude it's a state with inspections and fewer accidents and wish to draw a correlation, but emissions is not a safety inspection.
No safety inspection as part of the emissions testing.

As a side note, I passed an emissions test with a check engine light on because it was a transmission code, not an engine code.

• Love

Colorado doesn't have inspections. Just emissions testing. They don't test wiper blades or lights or anything.

I sighted MN as the state with the lowest deaths / 1 million miles. They have zero inspections. So clearly since its statistically the state with the safest highways you should at least be able to draw the conclusion that its possible inspections are not required for safe roads.

The 13 states sighted have no inspection of any kind. It was a easy list to find. I am sure there are more detailed lists if you care to look. Google is your friend.

• Haha
I would say the issue isn't where to put the line but the fact that a line exists. For example hospitals are required to administer emergency care regardless of the patients ability to pay. Society continues to allow the consumption of tobacco when there is absolutely no health benefits from doing so yet the system will help pay for health complications arising from said consumption.

These are tradeoffs that society makes because we all do dumb things during out lifetime and those things can have a negative impact on others.
I disagree, its 100% where the line is.

As a society we have decided we will pay for the health costs of tobacco and motorcycles. We could simply decide not to pay and tell hospitals to turn away people without insurance. The paying part was a choice by an electorate - it didn't violate anyone's individual rights.

Personally I would be happy to ban motorcycles, tobacco, provide socialized medicine, better public transportation and free college (in state, for kids with good grades and in skills determined by industry to be needed). However those are my choices. They may not be the best or even legal choices. Why should I get to decide vs someone else?

I asked a Texas state inspector about tires. His response was as long cord isn’t showing. I was like ***. Get away with inspections if their tire requirements are that low. Their doing it anyway. Cracks in the windshield as long it doesn’t impact drivers view.

With all of the current vehicles that pollute very little and ev's with no tailpipe emissions (but at the power station) many cities have seen zero difference in air quality after removing emissions testing. St. Paul had emissions testing as did Louisville Ky for years. They spent alot to set up stations and contract out to one of a few emissions companies. They tracked air quality and it was no worse after cancelling emissions testing.
You are only talking about emission testing, a simple OBD test is sufficient, monitors set it passes no need for tail pipe testing except for older diesels.
The most important part of inspection is the physical condition of the vehicle, the stricter the better IMHO, in fact I am a big advocate for brake drive on dyno testing for brake performance inspection not just a visual inspection of pads, rotors and brake hoses.
The guy in this video screwed up by not taking the car to any service station and testing the brakes on their dyno before going to the TÜV,
I never failed inspection but I would be happy if I did, that means they found something I didn't. Kind of a long video but you can see some of the testing they do and how they do it. I used to go to this particular station a few times a month.

• Wow
I disagree, its 100% where the line is.

As a society we have decided we will pay for the health costs of tobacco and motorcycles. We could simply decide not to pay and tell hospitals to turn away people without insurance. The paying part was a choice by an electorate - it didn't violate anyone's individual rights.

Personally I would be happy to ban motorcycles, tobacco, provide socialized medicine, better public transportation and free college (in state, for kids with good grades and in skills determined by industry to be needed). However those are my choices. They may not be the best or even legal choices. Why should I get to decide vs someone else?
So how do you solve the free-rider problem? In any case it's extremely complicated and not easy to solve in practice.

So how do you solve the free-rider problem? In any case it's extremely complicated and not easy to solve in practice.
On that we agree, its not easy.

Given no one can site a direct study showing inspections save lives, and given MN is supposedly the safest state with zero inspections, I don't see lack of inspections being any kind of real problem.

The other issues we discussed - far more complicated for sure.

All they do is ask for insurance. They dont even check lights, wipers or tires.

Wrong on all 3 points, but it will be moot in less than 6 months. Woe to those who get a ticket though thinking they no longer need to maintain the basics.

There should be mandatory annual inspections if for no other reason than confirming insurance is in place. That is a BIG problem and needs every means possible to address it. There should possibly also be a mechanism in place requiring forfeiture of vehicle if driven uninsured.

There should be mandatory annual inspections if for no other reason than confirming insurance is in place. That is a BIG problem and needs every means possible to address it. There should possibly also be a mechanism in place requiring forfeiture of vehicle if driven uninsured.
In South Carolina you cannot renew your registration at all without insurance - online or in person. Your insurance company is obligated to tell the state when your policy lapses or is cancelled. Its up to the new insurer to tell the state when you buy a new policy. Yet uninsured drivers are also a huge issue here. Uninsured motorist coverage is my most expensive insurance line item.

So I don't see how driving through an inspection once a year provides any more protection on this. They have found a way around it.

I am 100% in support of forfeiture of the vehicle for no insurance - with some small time for those that forget or are late, like 7 days or something.

You are only talking about emission testing, a simple OBD test is sufficient, monitors set it passes no need for tail pipe testing except for older diesels.
The most important part of inspection is the physical condition of the vehicle, the stricter the better IMHO, in fact I am a big advocate for brake drive on dyno testing for brake performance inspection not just a visual inspection of pads, rotors and brake hoses.
The guy in this video screwed up by not taking the car to any service station and testing the brakes on their dyno before going to the TÜV,
I never failed inspection but I would be happy if I did, that means they found something I didn't. Kind of a long video but you can see some of the testing they do and how they do it. I used to go to this particular station a few times a month.

I gave this a great deal of thought this morning and watched the entire vid.

@Trav I have questions if you're willing to answer them. I fear they may sound like a personal attack or that I am mocking you, and please try to believe neither is my intent. Having grown up in the American West all my life and never having been subject to, well, what I would describe as the authoritarianism and government over reach displayed I'm the video, I'm legitimately curious about the experiences of others because I have not had those experiences.

Did you grow up in Europe? Have you lived in states in the US without safety inspections? If yes, did you feel unsafe due to the lack of inspection(s)? If not unsafe, did it feel "weird" or "off" to NOT have that oversight?

Again, I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I'm legitimately curious how one could welcome stringent inspections, and I have to believe some of it is what we get used to growing up. Maybe not?

I saw nothing concerning about the van the FIRST time it rolled into the (very fancy, very expensive) inspection station. I'd happily have that van pass me at 65mph on my road bike BEFORE being inspected, and I'm an avid road cyclist.

I'm very sheltered having always been in small towns or rural areas. I'm white trash, albeit white trash who happens to shave his legs :D so there are things I just haven't experienced. Although similarly, I'm wondering if you've lived in areas with less regulation? I ask because IMO Massachusetts is not at all representative of much of the US, especially the West.

In other news, that full digi instrument cluster on that one Voyager was CRAZY! Did US-spec vehicles ever receive that??

Also, who knew Voyagers had a cult following in Germany??? I question that collector's mental stability :D.

@RAR do you have a long lost German brother??? :D

Cpt, have you been to Waco, Marlin or Bellmead to get inspections? You don't even know man...you Don't even know. It takes longer to put air in my tire. I get there at 4:45PM. Maybe they just want me gone. Insurance, Milage, here is your paper sir. One old drunk guy came up just after me on a front flat tire on his F150. As I paid, he was getting his. That happened in Bellmead last May

I gave this a great deal of thought this morning and watched the entire vid.

@Trav I have questions if you're willing to answer them. I fear they may sound like a personal attack or that I am mocking you, and please try to believe neither is my intent. Having grown up in the American West all my life and never having been subject to, well, what I would describe as the authoritarianism and government over reach displayed I'm the video, I'm legitimately curious about the experiences of others because I have not had those experiences.

Did you grow up in Europe? Have you lived in states in the US without safety inspections? If yes, did you feel unsafe due to the lack of inspection(s)? If not unsafe, did it feel "weird" or "off" to NOT have that oversight?

Again, I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I'm legitimately curious how one could welcome stringent inspections, and I have to believe some of it is what we get used to growing up. Maybe not?

I saw nothing concerning about the van the FIRST time it rolled into the (very fancy, very expensive) inspection station. I'd happily have that van pass me at 65mph on my road bike BEFORE being inspected, and I'm an avid road cyclist.

I'm very sheltered having always been in small towns or rural areas. I'm white trash, albeit white trash who happens to shave his legs :D so there are things I just haven't experienced. Although similarly, I'm wondering if you've lived in areas with less regulation? I ask because IMO Massachusetts is not at all representative of much of the US, especially the West.

In other news, that full digi instrument cluster on that one Voyager was CRAZY! Did US-spec vehicles ever receive that??
I am retired in their system (due to an accident). I like their system for the most part, I see nothing wrong or authoritarian about a strict and comprehensive vehicle inspection in fact I support a mandatory similar system in the USA. That van is not a good vehicle for the public roads, IMO the tester cut the guy too much slack with the rear brakes but it is a slow vehicle so I guess that is the reason.

Vehicle inspections here in MA don't even rate being called a joke, it is almost worthless in every way.

Cpt, have you been to Waco, Marlin or Bellmead to get inspections? You don't even know man...you Don't even know. It takes longer to put air in my tire. I get there at 4:45PM. Maybe they just want me gone. Insurance, Milage, here is your paper sir. One old drunk guy came up just after me on a front flat tire on his F150. As I paid, he was getting his. That happened in Bellmead last May

Bell county, yeah. I take back what I said. How that inspection happened was.. a little sketchy.

Louisiana had a bill on the table to do away with them a few months back. State police immediately launched a campaign against window tint and license plate coverings shortly after in the name of safety (really now, safety?). Ultimately the bill was dropped at the urging of the state police as that was a revenue stream for them.

During that time I was trying to get an inspection sticker for my wife’s 4Runner (both of my vehicles have illegal tint), in the process of being rejected for tint on an otherwise roadworthy vehicle I had encountered several vehicles with issues AND fresh inspection stickers, one with a broken frame. I’ve discovered that a cash tip at a rural inspection place will get you a 2 year sticker and also that since the bill was dropped the state police could give 2 flips about my tint.

It’s a huge joke, the whole lot of it.

Back