Texas about to do away with auto inspections

Texas has will always be #1 in fatal car crashes, Texas has more high speed 2 lane blacktop than any other state.
I love driving in Texas. What I noticed on the two lane blacktop is if a car is passing another vehicle and an oncoming car is coming, even way far away, the oncoming car will move onto the shoulder preemptively so as to signal to the vehicle executing a pass that if something goes wrong everybody knows their place and two cars wont bail to the shoulder at the same time. Never encountered that anywhere else. 70 mph two lane road is quite a scene. Its all good until the driver is texting.

Maryland only inspects vehicles on registration. So many unsafe pieces of crap on the road here. Winter driving is a joke. We need inspections bad. Cops here no longer give tickets for most anything because they can only pursue the most felonious of crimes. So if a car with dead tags or taillight out runs from them they cant pursue. Its a joke. Hooray for modern USA.
You can always go to VA and have your vehicles inspected monthly to be super safe. People should be able to police themselves on minor matters instead of being constantly nannied from cradle to grave and they should have the rights to self police or choose to be told on everything.

Reactions: D60
You can always go to VA and have your vehicles inspected monthly to be super safe. People should be able to police themselves on minor matters instead of being constantly nannied from cradle to grave and they should have the rights to self police or choose to be told on everything.
The problem is when their lack of self policing causes accidents…The way I see it, the annual inspection requirement was just one more impediment to keep people off the roads that cant handle the task. If a driver can’t keep a car in good enough condition to pass even the most rudimentary inspection is there anyway they can handle keeping insurance?

I’ll go down to 1 car for whole family if that happens. If needed to, it will be registered in Canada where there is no inspection and no cops on roads and very little accidents.

Yea-talk to your insurance company, the state that issues your driver license. It's easy in practice to say-not as easy in real life.
Having insurance in one state, registration in another country, and your drivers license in your state of domicile-not that clear cut.

I love driving in Texas. What I noticed on the two lane blacktop is if a car is passing another vehicle and an oncoming car is coming, even way far away, the oncoming car will move onto the shoulder preemptively so as to signal to the vehicle executing a pass that if something goes wrong everybody knows their place and two cars wont bail to the shoulder at the same time. Never encountered that anywhere else. 70 mph two lane road is quite a scene. Its all good until the driver is texting.
On the improved shoulder roads - I do that when need be. Just have to know the rules …

I just hate how for the NYS inspection every year, the guy doing my inspection has to scrape and re-affix the sticker. Maybe I'm just particular, but I hate when the newly applied sticker is crooked as all get out and the razor blade taken to the window to scrap the aforementioned sticker has hit my registration sticker and taken a big bite out of it. EHHH!

Not to mention one time I got my truck back and there were these newly found scratches on my dash. I know its a 20 year old truck but c'mon!

I'd rather apply my own sticker. It's tied to the registration anyways and has the printed VIN, etc. etc. Should be some sort of law or provision to allow the customer to do so.

MD has no safety inspections past initial ownership. Emissions every 2 years...however when I bought my Yaris...they didnt require me to emissions test it until the 7th year. My wifes car got called in within the first 2 years. Very odd. Both 1.5L cars.

I am FOR safety inspections. I wish we had inspections every 2~ years. So many literally piles of garbage on our roads. I see countless suspension related failures.

MD just recently raised all vehicle registration costs like 70%...with 4 currently tagged cars that stings a bit.

I’ll go down to 1 car for whole family if that happens. If needed to, it will be registered in Canada where there is no inspection and no cops on roads and very little accidents.

Well, believe or not I’m not blaming the government on this one (yet)

It will be the insurance companies trying to “protect the public” while lining record profits.

Besides, more cars to total out……

Emissions testing, yet no tires, brakes, front end, lights? Hmmmm....

Save the trees and kill the children, convince me otherwise.....

Texas has & always will be #1 in fatal car crashes, Texas has more high speed 2 lane blacktop than any other state.
Actually Texas is middle of the pack in deaths per 100 Million Miles @ 1.52

Minnesota is lowest at 0.77. They haven't had an inspection in 20 years, and they have lots of ice and snow as well.

In fact the highest seems to be South Carolina - no shocker to me, I live here. I would attribute it to absolutely crazy driving, a fairly large percentage of pedestrian and motorcycle deaths (good weather maybe?) and maybe the fact that were a small state so total miles driven per person might be comparatively low. How many accidents you see on the open highway unless its crowded. I-26 is bumper to bumper for at least 100 miles every weekend. Lots of completely blind 2 lanes with no shoulders also.

Last edited:
No problem as long as one is carrying sufficient liability insurance because if the they're driving a hooptie with bald tires or poor brakes and kill/maime a family member I will take every GD cent for their negligence.

Minnesota is lowest at 0.77. They haven't had an inspection in 20 years, and they have lots of ice and snow as well.

In fact the highest seems to be South Carolina - no shocker to me, I live here. I would attribute it to absolutely crazy driving, a fairly large percentage of pedestrian and motorcycle deaths (good weather maybe?) and maybe the fact that were a small state so total miles driven per person might be comparatively low. How many accidents you see on the open highway unless its crowded. I-26 is bumper to bumper for at least 100 miles every weekend. Lots of completely blind 2 lanes with no shoulders also.

SC still not have a helmet law for motorcycles?

I know folks who have been in several at fault wrecks - and were always in nice - well inspected vehicles …
Hey, maybe it’s a driver problem 😷

With all of the current vehicles that pollute very little and ev's with no tailpipe emissions (but at the power station) many cities have seen zero difference in air quality after removing emissions testing. St. Paul had emissions testing as did Louisville Ky for years. They spent alot to set up stations and contract out to one of a few emissions companies. They tracked air quality and it was no worse after cancelling emissions testing.
You’re confusing emissions testing with safety inspections. Two totally different things that are exclusive to each other.

Texas is going away from safety inspections, but many counties will continue to test for emissions annually.

Sure but the reality is that society carries some of the burden (orphaned children, loss of wage earner, etc.)
Sure, that is the slippery slope argument. But who gets to decide where the line is? Today must wear a helmet, tomorrow no motorcycles allowed, next week no cars either, only mass transit. Yes I know this is hyperbole but you get the point.

BTW I hate motorcycles. I don't want to be the one involved in an accident caused by there weaving speeding stupidity. But I am smart enough to understand banning something I don't like makes it easier to ban something I do.

The loss of wage earner is the telling one. Clearly proves were all just considered serf's to the system by TPTB at this point anyway.

Last edited:
Back