Texas about to do away with auto inspections

Look at page 30 or 25 and 26 of the paper. This is from 2008 so today it may be more or less but I doubt it is less.

View attachment 225937

Send me a correlation with drunk driver / distracted driver / driving too fast for conditions, or even if the stated condition contributed to the accident at all or just existed. Bad brakes, but I ran a stop light because I was texting - should be blame that on the brakes? Just because the condition existed doesn't make it the cause.

32% of traffic deaths involve alcohol. Lets ban alcohol - would be OK with me.

Motorcyle's represent about 20% of all traffic deaths nationally, but represent a very tiny number of overall miles driven. I suggest we simply ban motorcycles?

18% of traffic deaths are pedestrians. We should ban all motor vehicles, or all pedestrians.

The last 3 were sarcasm, just to be clear.

Last edited:
Send me a correlation with drunk driver / distracted driver / driving too fast for conditions, or even if the stated condition contributed to the accident at all or just existed. Bad brakes, but I ran a stop light because I was texting - should be blame that on the brakes? Just because the condition existed doesn't make it the cause.

32% of traffic deaths involve alcohol. Lets ban alcohol - would be OK with me.

Motorcyle's represent about 20% of all traffic deaths nationally, but represent a very tiny number of overall miles driven. I suggest we simply ban motorcycles?

18% of traffic deaths are pedestrians. We should ban all motor vehicles, or all pedestrians.

Let’s ban the pedestrians. They are wearing down the sidewalks and street crossing buttons without paying any gas taxes or registration fees ;)

Shops that are unscrupulous with state inspections are probably unscrupluous in other matters as well. I've had the best luck going to places that only do state inspections, ergo they have nothing to gain from failing you about something wrong with your car that they won't be able to fix. Your argument is really with shady auto shops, not with the state inspection itself.

I am in favor of keeping the state inspections. But the leg didn't ask me.
How about we keep it optional and see how much shops charge for such service? People who want it done can do it as everyone should be responsible for themselves.

As with everything "it depends." I've been going to the same place in my town that only does inspections for the past 3 years. They replace bulbs for free and have always been great to me. I tip them every time. They will not have jobs come the new year.

This past weekend I inspected the ranch van in the small local town (differenty county) and they waved the $7 no emissions fee completely. I'm bringing them taco's next weekend.
The place I had been going to the last 10 years was great until they need to expand and getting creative with their insoection failure causes. I used to tip them $10-$15 per a $20 inspection snd that meant nothing because ai do my own maintenance and the preventative care such as brakes and tires are done else where.

From what I've heard some States w/o inspections do them on the side of the road randomly? And of course you still gotta pay $7.50 fee. Of course......There are so many bad cars on the road that would never pass as it is.
Drivers will think they are better off till they get tickets for lights out. Will cost a lot more than the inspection would have. How is it in your State?
All you need to do is look at all the auto/body parts along I-45 in Houston to realize inspections are necessary. I know there are downsides to it, and Nebraska did away with them years ago because it became a license to steal, but there are some real beaters around here that need to be monitored.

There are minivans in Utah in the dead of winter that have children in them with bald tires.........
but you know-we are big on "protect the children here".

There are 13 states with no inspection of any kind. Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Washington, and Wyoming.

Is there a correlation to traffic accidents and deaths in these states vs others?

There are 13 states with no inspection of any kind. Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Washington, and Wyoming.

Is there a correlation to traffic accidents and deaths in these states vs others?

Yes- i expect a nationwide inspection very soon. How else are they going to get cars off the road….

What does ev have to do with it? TÜV found Tesla cars are the worst for defects tested out of all brands.
With all of the current vehicles that pollute very little and ev's with no tailpipe emissions (but at the power station) many cities have seen zero difference in air quality after removing emissions testing. St. Paul had emissions testing as did Louisville Ky for years. They spent alot to set up stations and contract out to one of a few emissions companies. They tracked air quality and it was no worse after cancelling emissions testing.
What does ev have to do with it? TÜV found Tesla cars are the worst for defects tested out of all brands.

Let’s ban the pedestrians. They are wearing down the sidewalks and street crossing buttons without paying any gas taxes or registration fees ;)
Agree - we funded new sidewalks and entries from city limit to city limit - (both sides) and have seen two people use them - both appeared to be border crossers …

Texas has & always will be #1 in fatal car crashes, Texas has more high speed 2 lane blacktop than any other state.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
Maryland only inspects vehicles on registration. So many unsafe pieces of crap on the road here. Winter driving is a joke. We need inspections bad. Cops here no longer give tickets for most anything because they can only pursue the most felonious of crimes. So if a car with dead tags or taillight out runs from them they cant pursue. Its a joke. Hooray for modern USA.

Texas has will always be #1 in fatal car crashes, Texas has more high speed 2 lane blacktop than any other state.
Good point, Chris - Bad as I hate 1-10 and the speed driven there - every near miss for me (have never been a driver in a collision) or know of others who wrecked - it’s been FM two lanes …
(See roadside monuments) …

Back