Texas about to do away with auto inspections

I asked a Texas state inspector about tires. His response was as long cord isn’t showing. I was like ***. Get away with inspections if their tire requirements are that low. Their doing it anyway. Cracks in the windshield as long it doesn’t impact drivers view.
I get mine done at a tire/front end shop - no chance they’d let poor tires slip by … even got nailed on wrong window tint …

I'm orignally from New York, Schenectady if anyone cares. Talking with my grandparents mechanic who runs a good shop, I know he said he likes the inspections as it keeps an level playing field between all shops and even dealers. And if I remember right, even the state vehicle shops have to an inspection on the state fleet too.

That said, most states had vehicle inspections starting in the Model T which my understanding most accidents then were caused by poor vehicle maintenance, such as not having working front facing light. And there wasn't any mandatory car insurance till the 1950s, then poor driving became the problem...

Actually Texas is middle of the pack in deaths per 100 Million Miles @ 1.52

Minnesota is lowest at 0.77. They haven't had an inspection in 20 years, and they have lots of ice and snow as well.

In fact the highest seems to be South Carolina - no shocker to me, I live here. I would attribute it to absolutely crazy driving, a fairly large percentage of pedestrian and motorcycle deaths (good weather maybe?) and maybe the fact that were a small state so total miles driven per person might be comparatively low. How many accidents you see on the open highway unless its crowded. I-26 is bumper to bumper for at least 100 miles every weekend. Lots of completely blind 2 lanes with no shoulders also.

I’m not sure why it would be so high in South Carolina.

F6F21E02-E1C3-4D70-B8CB-0D034A9BB284.jpeg

Actually Texas is middle of the pack in deaths per 100 Million Miles @ 1.52

Minnesota is lowest at 0.77. They haven't had an inspection in 20 years, and they have lots of ice and snow as well.

In fact the highest seems to be South Carolina - no shocker to me, I live here. I would attribute it to absolutely crazy driving, a fairly large percentage of pedestrian and motorcycle deaths (good weather maybe?) and maybe the fact that were a small state so total miles driven per person might be comparatively low. How many accidents you see on the open highway unless its crowded. I-26 is bumper to bumper for at least 100 miles every weekend. Lots of completely blind 2 lanes with no shoulders also.

Yes, it certainly looks like we (SC) are the winner (loser). I-26 down here in Charleston/Summerville is bumper to bumper every weekday morning and evening. And I agree, the rural 2 lanes could use some upgrades. But mostly I think it it comes down to drivers not paying attention.

Concerning the topic at hand: inspections. I don't think that no inspections has hurt SC. Back when we had inspections, it wasn't that thorough anyway.

I might be the opposite of everyone.. I’d like to see all states bring back inspections. Just safety inspections.. emissions is a joke. I did a 9k trip to Alaska and the number of vehicles without tail lights and headlights was rather impressive. Especially in areas that require headlights all the time, most of those only had one headlight. People just need to start checking their junk while they fill up.. only takes a couple seconds. The worst was trailers.. a few cows about but the dust in Montana. No lights all on that trailer. Should have saved that dash cam video.

We all see rolling scrapyard escapees on the road every day, usually not because people want to drive junk but because it's what they can afford.
We've built a society heavily dependent on personal transportation and people adapt to this as best they can.

Only under 21.

I am not for helmet laws either. Not my or governments job to protect someone else. Adults can make their own choices.
Do you have the same opinion on seatbelt or DUI laws?

Sure but the reality is that society carries some of the burden (orphaned children, loss of wage earner, etc.)
This.
I've got permanent nerve damage and some PTSD from the two dip **** Evel Knieval wannabes that hit me 😠
Guy that wanted to pop wheelies in traffic had his freedom and liberties to ride in shorts/flip flops and with no helmet or licence
That freedom impinged on mine the second he went face first through the rear glass of my parked Jeep 😔
Tax dollars inevitably went into his medical care, and that was a deeply disturbing sight that no one should've had to see 😖
It's kinda hard to enjoy summer evenings outdoors when you shudder every time a 🏍️ goes by 🧐

You can have your liberties and freedoms, I appreciate the ones I'm granted
But there's a limit, and it starts when you damage or hurt others 🙄
I'm not one for burdening those struggling financially with unreasonably high standards of vehicle care for the vehicle you must own to survive in whatever car dependant hellscape you live in around the country
But a reasonable bare minimum is just good sense to me 🤷‍♂️

As for this particular instance of Texas state inspection, I doubt they care
It was a pretty lightweight bare minimum inspection anyway 🤔
A YouTuber I follow put a 240Z to the test
Ronald Finger, you may remember his long saga rebuilding a Fiero

Do you have the same opinion on seatbelt or DUI laws?
DUI is clearly dangerous to everyone around you and not even in the same league as anything discussed here. Your essentially trolling at this point.

Seat belts - if your over 18 do what you want - won't hurt me when your melon hits the windshield. FWIW we were one of the last states without a seatbelt law, and it was snuck in piggyback on another bill at midnight because the public was strongly against it. It is now used exactly for what it was expected to be used for. To give an excuse to stop anyone they want, and somehow its mostly ethnic minorities. 🤷‍♂️. FWIW I also think driving without a seatbelt is stupid, but it should be your own choice.

Last edited:
There should be mandatory annual inspections if for no other reason than confirming insurance is in place. That is a BIG problem and needs every means possible to address it. There should possibly also be a mechanism in place requiring forfeiture of vehicle if driven uninsured.
Well all that would do is force people to buy coverage when inspection is due and then cancel it. It's not that much different than people who do the same but with tires (return them post inspection).

Well all that would do is force people to buy coverage when inspection is due and then cancel it. It's not that much different than people who do the same but with tires (return them post inspection).

Happened to us before. Camry got rear ended and the other party had a current card, but was not active as it was cancelled shortly after making the policy. Stuff like that irritates the stew out of me.

We all see rolling scrapyard escapees on the road every day, usually not because people want to drive junk but because it's what they can afford.
We've built a society heavily dependent on personal transportation and people adapt to this as best they can.
The rich original owner gets to cheat the system here... he can neglect a car for 15 years then sell it for $4000 one day away from its dramatic death, to some poor shmuck who doesn't know better.

With inspections, he'd have had to fix that car up over the 15 year period, so when its sold as-is at the end of its life it's only had one years worth of neglect. And if it won't pass inspection, the buyer knows this, and should pay something like $500 instead of $4000.

Back