test n tune nights at the strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go to these very often for the sake of being able to daily drive my car for while, but I go 2-3 times a year to scratch the itch.
And the traffic at the track is rather light, so on a given track day I can do about 10 runs in a hour. So I'd have plenty of time to do more but at that point my ETs would have stabilized and I'd have raced everyone 2 times over.
So the worst case scenario would be 10 consecutive 1/4 mile runs on a 100 degree (F) day. What would this do to 6 quarts of Mobil1 5w30? Would you recommend something thicker? How many of these track days do you think this oil can withstand before it turns to water?
The car in question is the Mustang in my sig.

Do you have any idea what your oil temps are?

I would bet your oil stays a 30 weight for all 10 runs.
The last time I took my BMW to the test and tune night, the fourth/last run my oil temp was around 215F. Pretty normal oil temp for my car.

Opinions on this would be interesting to me as well, since I've got about 17 1/4 mile passes on my current fill of Castrol Syntec 5w50. I hit about 2800miles today on that fill and it was down almost half a liter, so I topped it up with some PP 5w30 to try and thin out the 5w50 a bit. I think I will just run it to about 3500miles then change it.

My guess is that the engine has more than enough time to equalize the oil temp with water temp. I would worry more about the trans temp (automatic) or clutch temp than the engine oil if you are doing 10 back to back hot laps.

I always ran 5W20 in my 2007 (Best 1/8 was 8.29 @ 85 on a 1.83) but I never went over 3 hotlaps and that was starting with a cooled down car. I always worried about my cluch (which was still hooking after 200 passes).

As crazy at it may seem I have over 5 years on the same oil and I race every fri nite at least 5 licks a nite for the last 1.5 years, since our track opened here in Homstead Florida.

[removed non-site sponsor link]

I drive this car like any normal car. drive to the track put on slicks, race, remove slicks install radials drive home.

I love passing the trailed cars I smoke when Im driving home LOL!

Javier

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
My guess is that the engine has more than enough time to equalize the oil temp with water temp. I would worry more about the trans temp (automatic) or clutch temp than the engine oil if you are doing 10 back to back hot laps.

I always ran 5W20 in my 2007 (Best 1/8 was 8.29 @ 85 on a 1.83) but I never went over 3 hotlaps and that was starting with a cooled down car. I always worried about my cluch (which was still hooking after 200 passes).

I believe the clutch temp is fine. There is no abnormal slippage or chatter, and the friction point doesn't change either.
I guess there's nothing else to worry about then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back