NASCAR Bristol Tire Conservation Race

If you watched the NASCAR Bristol race - and you know me - you'll know I was very interested. Lots to unpack!!

If you didn't watch the race, the tires were wearing extremely fast, apparently because the track (concrete) wasn't "rubbering up" - that is having rubber embedded into the macrotexture like normal. As a result, the tires had to get all their grip from the track surface and none from the adhesion to the embedded rubber. That wore the tires much more rapidly than normal - so fast, they were wearing through the cords. Lots fo flat tires at the beginning.

It was possible to wear off a set of tires (either the right front or the right rear, depending on how the car was handling) within a few laps. This presented an unexpected challenge to the drivers and the crew chiefs. The drivers who did well were those with lots of experience in saving tires. The top 3 were Denny Hamlin, Martin Truex, Jr, and Brad Keselowski.

It took the drivers and the crew chiefs 2 stages before they really got a handle on how to deal with the situation. One of the interesting things was that any car could run a few very fast laps, but the tires would be gone in those few laps! It didn't take long for the drivers to figure that out, but it wasn't until the 3rd stage that enough was known, so the drivers and crew chiefs could plan a strategy.

As a tire engineer, I noticed quite a few things:

The tires had a single cap ply and perhaps only one belt not made of steel, probably Kevlar! The single belt doesn't make sense to me, but that's what it appeared to be.

The wear was on the inboard shoulder. Does that mean Goodyear was using a tread with 2 different compounds - inboard vs outboard? Or does it mean that there was too much camber?

If I were Goodyear, I would be assigning the fix to the Rubber Chemists! I think the tread compound was too dry and didn't adhere to the race track - but rubber chemistry is not something I understand very well, so take that with a huge amount of salt.

Did it make for an interesting race? You betcha!! I hope Goodyear doesn't change things too much as the sight of a front runner suddenly falling back because he pushed too hard was soooooo exciting to watch!

Surprised this didn't come up in qualifying.

Pirelli had a similar issue last year at the F1 race in Qatar. Their issue was the design of the kerbs on the track but they caught it during practice sessions.

Why not? Was the track repaved?

Q: Is there a limit to the number of tires a team can bring?
The track was not repaved and in fact the same tires were used last fall without issue.

The teams were allocated 9 sets for the race. They had a set from qualifying and NASCAR authorized an additional set during the race to make things easier, but there were no more tires available beyond those 11 sets.

It remains a mystery at this point.

The track was not repaved and in fact the same tires were used last fall without issue. It remains a mystery at this point.
The track had a resin applied to it which apparently was different. Maybe that had something to do with rubber not sticking to the track. It looked like black snow drifts along the outside of the track.

Why not? Was the track repaved?

Q: Is there a limit to the number of tires a team can bring?
there's not always a limit, but for this race there was, at first each team was limited to 9 sets of tires.(plus the set they qualified on). but with tires wearing out in as few as 25 laps of a 500 lap race...
eventually nascar let them get 2 more sets from GY.
the teams don't bring their own tires. they have Different compounds for different tracks, etc.
GoodYear brings them, the teams bring over their wheels, and GY mounts them for the teams.
after they come off, they go back to GY for a dissection, see what improvements can be made.

there's not always a limit, but for this race there was, at first each team was limited to 9 sets of tires.(plus the set they qualified on). but with tires wearing out in as few as 25 laps of a 500 lap race...
eventually nascar let them get 2 more sets from GY.
the teams don't bring their own tires. they have Different compounds for different tracks, etc.
GoodYear brings them, the teams bring over their wheels, and GY mounts them for the teams.
after they come off, they go back to GY for a dissection, see what improvements can be made.
Every race has a tire limit I'm in the camp to get rid of the tire limits you really would have had a great race.

FB_IMG_1710800423277.jpg

Surprised this didn't come up in qualifying.

Pirelli had a similar issue last year at the F1 race in Qatar. Their issue was the design of the kerbs on the track but they caught it during practice sessions.
They were all over the track in their 3 laps of qualifying. I think the cool temps helped keep the rubber off of the track.
Did you see how few people were there? That used to be NASCAR country.

the sight of a front runner suddenly falling back because he pushed too hard was soooooo exciting to watch!
Yep it was exhilarating, like a Bizzaro World race! Reminds me of those rubber bits like they use on artificial turf for football.

Nascar's popularity has long since peaked and it has been on a steady decline for years. They aren't helping themselves with all the dumb changes. It would be so simple to fix it.

1. Get rid of stages. It's bush league nonsense.
2. Get rid of the Chase. No reason someone in 16th with 10 races to go should be in the hunt for a championship.
3. Stop with all the cookie cutter cars and setup restrictions. Allow ingenuity to return. It isn't helping the smaller teams.
4. Allow the drivers to have a personality.
5. Cut back on the 1.5 mile tracks. The racing is boring.

Nascar's popularity has long since peaked and it has been on a steady decline for years. They aren't helping themselves with all the dumb changes. It would be so simple to fix it.

1. Get rid of stages. It's bush league nonsense.
2. Get rid of the Chase. No reason someone in 16th with 10 races to go should be in the hunt for a championship.
3. Stop with all the cookie cutter cars and setup restrictions. Allow ingenuity to return. It isn't helping the smaller teams.
4. Allow the drivers to have a personality.
5. Cut back on the 1.5 mile tracks. The racing is boring.
I agree - I have not followed Nascar in over 20yrs....Back in the day it was FUN and I have been to every track. Today it is a boring, woke disaster and priced out of reach for many fans just like NFL/MLB etc. I don't watch of follow any sports anymore.

Back