What a Show! NASCAR Chicago Street Race

Anybody else catch the Chicago street race? I thought it was one of the most entertaining NASCAR events I’ve seen in quite a while. Loved the rain racing, short cautions and lots of spin outs where they simply turned it around and went back to racing. 👍

I’m definitely looking forward to this one next year!

Anybody else catch the Chicago street race? I thought it was one of the most entertaining NASCAR events I’ve seen in quite a while. Loved the rain racing, short cautions and lots of spin outs where they simply turned it around and went back to racing. 👍

I’m definitely looking forward to this one next year!
I agree. Much better than I thought it would be. How impressive for SVG to come in, race clean and take the victory too. I wonder if they could do the same thing in New York City?

I admit, I was cautiously optimistic about the whole thing. Having been to many Long Beach GPs, a lot of times it is better on TV than in person. But they really hit it out of the park. I had a couple friends there and they said it was awesome. Seeing SVG carve his way up from 18th to winning was incredible. I did have to laugh at the TV people slaughtering his name over and over.

It was a complete **** show down there. With the deal they had with the city and new leadership in office, this is a one and done. But it was cool to watch.

Probably going to start a fire here but I am not happy with NBC broadcasting these races now. I was always a JR fan but he and Burton should not be allowed near a microphone. They butcher the english language so badly, it's had to believe they took english classes in school. They do not have broadcast voices either.
It also seems NBC has more commercials than Fox did. I tuned in to watch a race and commercials broke out.

Agreed Fox blows NBC out of the water on coverage and broadcast personalities, but since I can only get Cup on broadcast networks I will take that over nothing.

At least they used a race window part of the time.

NBC has a gift for butchering the Olympics as well.

They need to redesign those tire barriers. Get wedged and stuck every time you hit one? Got to be aggravating.
If the barrier's are too sturdy and don't give it will probably tare the race cars up more and I don't think that's a good thing but yes looking for improvement is usually a good thing!

The Cup race exceeded my expectations and I was bummed the Xfinity race was cut short because it was ready to get interesting although I was happy for Cole Custer as he's been through alot lately! Shane did an awesome job but you know the racing in Australia is fierce so he had great experience and training, I was routing for Justin Haley though, I thought Austin Dillon got what he deserved as he was just going to crash Justin out of the lead!

Agreed Fox blows NBC out of the water on coverage and broadcast personalities, but since I can only get Cup on broadcast networks I will take that over nothing.

Try watching the race on mute and listening to the MRN/PRN radio broadcast. Both crews are absolutely incredible at paint pictures with words. Plus at the track, listening to the MRN channel is hilarious under commercials. They always tell dad jokes.

Every time they went to bi screen commercial, something happened in the race. You had to wait to see if they were going to show it again. Then there is the excited voice that a crash just happened and you had to wait to see what it was.

Great suggestion on MRN, I’d not thought of, that used to be very common practice here with the Chiefs, the radio team was fantastic while the tv broadcast featured a local celebrity long retired quarterback that was absolutely awful. The fact he was rarely sober was probably part of it.

I'm kinda hoping, if they're going to continue their LA experiment, that they can do something like this instead of wasting millions building and tearing out a track inside a football stadium every year... that, or There are an untold number of small "Nascar Home Tracks" (longer than what they are able to put in the coliseum) around the country that would give their left arm to have that level of media exposure/coverage, and a "free" repave (at Nascar's expense)

I will say my brother and I always have a good time Mocking Burton's more...shall we say..."exited interjections"...

The last segment was the race! I was pulling for the Kiwi and he schooled the home teams! He was later on the braking and earlier on the throttle than any other driver. Hope we get to see him on an oval soon.

Last edited:
Every time they went to bi screen commercial, something happened in the race. You had to wait to see if they were going to show it again. Then there is the excited voice that a crash just happened and you had to wait to see what it was.
So on a radio broadcast, each turn announcer has a button to cut in over everyone else when something happens. The accepted practice is to cut in and say "trouble turn x" and then describe what is going on. Mike Bagley is normally on the MRN radio broadcast so he was the one doing it most on the NBC broadcast. All of the MRN and PRN broadcasters know to get quiet when someone keys on so they can get the description of the accident out.

Back