Tesla Truck will need power of 4,000 homes!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: Garak
"Special" enough they don't even factor into the issue right now, or for the foreseeable future, I suspect.
Keep working that buggy whip!!!!!

I don't take it that way
21.gif

Seems something quite reasonable to be curious about: how one plans on connecting that amount of power to the vehicle in a way designed for the average dock hand to not kill himself. And how that system is going to look on the docks, and how that is going to connect to the grid.

The problem with the "we'll all be riding unicorns because Mush told is so" brigade is that as we see in this thread, even if they ARE in the industry, as SHOZ claims to be, they'll suck up the Koolaid as a "future speed bump".

If anyone in this thread is qualified to give us the slightest hint as to how we run a 2MW low voltage extension lead safely, it's the one providing the least information, just "trust Musk".

Industry electricity bills aren't like yours and mine...they have different components such as peak VA imports over and above straight volume.

Adding 2-10MW (I don't know how many trucks will be charging at WM at any given time) over and above is going to cost...the business and the infrastructure.

Electric Forklifts AREN'T advertising 500 miles, 80,000lb, at 65MPH are they ?

24V, 1380AH is 33KWh, NOT 1.2MWh

But the Unicorn brigade would declare equivalence to make legitimate concerns appear alarmist and unfounded...while pouring used engine oil on the ground and declaring is Asphalt equivalence, and suicide plugged solar as responsible.

Ouch Shannow your buggy whip stings.
whip.gif

I have faith that we have not invented everything nor have reached the ends of improvements we can make.

Ouch Shannow your buggy whip stings.
whip.gif

I have faith that we have not invented everything nor have reached the ends of improvements we can make.

Right, but do you think it's reasonable to imply that these things will all exist within the next 24 months? These trucks are supposed to ship starting in 2019....

I don't doubt they can build an OTR truck with massive amounts of battery power and have it successfully tow the advertised weight. Electric motors make insane amounts of torque as the "P" versions of the Model S aptly demonstrates.

My concerns are that there isn't enough thought or planning into how these things are going to charged within the claimed timeframe and how the grid, which is already very taxed in some locations, is going to be able to support it.

I believe the time frame is 2025 at ;east in Budweisers case?

Here in sunny California the news announced last night that they are supposed to start shipping in 2019
21.gif

See, again the misdirection...

Tesla is building them in 2019...according to Musk.

That means that the 2MW transfer rate must already be solved doesn't it ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

See, again the misdirection...

Tesla is building them in 2019...according to Musk.

That means that the 2MW transfer rate must already be solved doesn't it ?
I was going by the article I posted today. 2019 would be great!! You have to think if they are out gathering sales they are working on the product?

Originally Posted By: Garak
"Special" enough they don't even factor into the issue right now, or for the foreseeable future, I suspect.

Don't worry...your Dale will be delivered any day now...

Looks like it...

At work (heart of the power station), when a feed pump starts (9MW DOL) even with 700MW on the running unit, the lights dim like a frankenstein movie.

Be interesting to see the neighobours around the walmarts

It's not about being a Luddite, although I am that at times. It's about Musk shoveling manure for the past number of years, and me simply not believing him any longer. That's the biggest risk to him. When the disbelief becomes contagious amongst (that's a good Luddite word) shareholders, he will be finished in short shrift.

And, as Overkill pointed out, it's a legitimate concern. Where will these 30 minute chargers be? I can put up a truck stop almost anywhere I like, assuming I have the land and zoning. I don't need to set up anything elaborate with the electrical company. As long as I got three phase, I'm more than sufficient, and that can be found almost anywhere. I put in tanks and pumps and a building. It's done. It's even done in rural Saskatchewan with bulk stations, miles from the nearest community, on occasion.

Now, if I want to set up enough of these chargers at a new truck stop to service enough at a time to make it worthwhile for me and make it convenient for such trucks passing through, what kind of arrangement am I going to have to achieve with SaskPower? They won't do it for free, either. What if the Co-ops here even wanted to install two of these per bulk station? From a logistical standpoint, that's what you want to see. If they're at every bulk station, they become convenient enough that these trucks could have practicality in remote locations. What's the electrical source, though? Put the unemployed on stationary bicycles?

We have enough trouble keeping the lights on in this province. In Overkill's province, you need to be Elon Musk to afford an electric bill. Now, given that his province uses a lot of trucks, you go to any trucking company in that province and try to sell an electric truck with the current cost of electricity, you'll get laughed out of the office, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you'll be leaving on the end of the manager's boot.

Faith is great, but faith doesn't generate electricity nor distribute it. When the faith runs out, so does Musk's clock.

If anyone in this thread is qualified to give us the slightest hint as to how we run a 2MW low voltage extension lead safely, it's the one providing the least information, just "trust Musk".

Electric Forklifts AREN'T advertising 500 miles, 80,000lb, at 65MPH are they ?

24V, 1380AH is 33KWh, NOT 1.2MWh [/quote]

I think you are "buggy whipping" a dead horse. The kool aid drinkers worship Musk. He is the master manipulator, highly intelligent, and very persuasive.

Imagine the future! He does!

I guess you buggy whippers have all thrown in the towel and we are at peak innovation and capacity for electricity. Oh well this dooms the human race.

We're not at peak innovation or capacity at all for electricity. However, some utilities are running rather close to peak output, with a crumbling infrastructure. I think Musk's idea is great, if he's going to write cheques for hundreds of millions for each utility, to upgrade infrastructure. That's the only way this province will wire you for something like this. You pay, they'll play.

The infrastructure is being upgraded right now. There may be many areas where it is bad but that is not Musk fault. Illinois is not one of these places. They are having a hard time putting in a new high voltage DC grid due to NIMBYs though.

There is an electric arc steel blast furnace up the road. I can't say as my lights dim when it's running.

Of course it's not Musk's fault that the infrastructure is bad, but it is Musk's fault it he's selling this as the next big thing when the insfrastructure isn't there at all.

And not having your lights dim when the blast furnace runs doesn't mean much. My lights don't dim with the steel plant up the road that runs through millions of dollars of electricity a month, either. That's simply not the point.

Well what is your point?

That with the infrastructure and equipment we use today is not up to the task of tomorrow? Isn't that a given and said all along?

Or is it that the planned technology is just never going to be viable with future technology and equipment?

Back