Tesla Truck will need power of 4,000 homes!

Cujet,
I used the data from here
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/18366

For the average Insolation for a square metre at the site...

Then mutiplied it by 25% efficiency to get the daily generation possibility.

It's average, so you can drive more trucks in the summer than the winter...can drive a LOT more in Florida than Toronto.

and YES, the peaks in Ca and Hawaii are now inverted, such that off peak is midday...parts of Oz are going that direction too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I suggest Tesla charge his trucks during the day and drive at night. hahahaha.

That would make the most sense wouldn't it. Especially when they get the trucks self drivng, then you can have them drive at night at the most efficient speeds as well since there's no limit on hours for the driver... The truck going 45mph needs less than half the hp to go 65mph so that helps the math in charging them up as well.
Probably a human driven truck only averages around 45-50mph now on an interstate run now anyways, due to breaks and lunch, etc.

Here's a coal hauler ship in China. All electric with 2.4 Mhw battery and capacitors. Recharges in two hours they say......

A new all-electric cargo ship with a massive 2.4 MWh battery pack launches in China

According to China News (Chinese), the powertrain is equipped with two 160 kW electric propellers and a mix of supercapacitors and lithium batteries for a total energy capacity of 2.4 MWh. For comparison, that’s like 24 batteries from Tesla’s most high-powered vehicle: the Tesla Model S P100D.

The powertrain reportedly enables a range of ~50 miles (80 km) on a single charge.

It is designed for short distances and it is currently configured to carry coal (*waa waa*) down the Pearl River in Guangdong Province.

Both shipyards where it will operate are equipped with massive charging systems that can reportedly charge the boat’s battery pack in just two hours, which is about the time it takes to load and unload the ship.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Here's a coal hauler ship in China. All electric with 2.4 Mhw battery and capacitors. Recharges in two hours they say......

A new all-electric cargo ship with a massive 2.4 MWh battery pack launches in China

According to China News (Chinese), the powertrain is equipped with two 160 kW electric propellers and a mix of supercapacitors and lithium batteries for a total energy capacity of 2.4 MWh. For comparison, that’s like 24 batteries from Tesla’s most high-powered vehicle: the Tesla Model S P100D.

The powertrain reportedly enables a range of ~50 miles (80 km) on a single charge.

It is designed for short distances and it is currently configured to carry coal (*waa waa*) down the Pearl River in Guangdong Province.

Both shipyards where it will operate are equipped with massive charging systems that can reportedly charge the boat’s battery pack in just two hours, which is about the time it takes to load and unload the ship.

Sweet, a coal hauler fuelled, ultimately, with what its hauling
wink.gif

Still cleaner than bunker fuel I'd imagine.

Ultimately I'm hopefully that SMR technology will become inexpensive and advanced enough that it makes sense for big ships, eliminating pollution entirely.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not that large for a bulker …

Was going to say exactly the same.

2,000T delivered to a 1,000MW plant at midnight will get them to breakfast time...need another 4 boats for the rest of the day...it's half a train load. (*)

The boats delivering it to China are 100 times that size.

Why do all these gizmos have to include the word "massive", and "huge" to make them look like something that they aren't

(*) Edit, I was sizing trains on the ones that roll through town here...

Here's a 20,000T coal train in china...electric

which makes infinitely more sense.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I start seeing them on the road.

Until then it is just a feel good story for Tesla and good publicity for the several companies that have agreed to start using these electric trucks.

The logic of this comparison seems .... weird ....

We all know many trains and light rail are electric powered and they don't seem to cause any power problem during business hours. So why would "charging" an electric semi be any worse? Even if you factor in that charging time is much faster than a train / light rail acceleration power draw, it still shouldn't be worse because it weight a lot less so the peak current draw shouldn't be worse.

Regarding to application. You can bet that the initial delivery of EV semi would be for ports, short distance frequent delivery between retail stores and warehouse, instead of interstate long haul. The bonus would be to install charger at shipping and receiving of the stores and run a meter to charge while loading / unloading, that alone will probably improve the range by 10x.

Last edited:
I'm far from an expert, but I'd suggest numbers and infrastructure are the difference. There are a lot of trucks on the road - not so many dedicated electric trains. When there are electric trains and subways, the infrastructure is, as it were, brought into play at the outset. An electric truck is going to be entering an infrastructure that was optimised for and developed around petroleum powered vehicles.

A similar question can be asked in a more extreme example. Why don't we see transport shipping on the seas as pure electric? The infrastructure sure as heck hasn't even been conceived of yet, and solar is a pipe dream.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm far from an expert, but I'd suggest numbers and infrastructure are the difference. There are a lot of trucks on the road - not so many dedicated electric trains. When there are electric trains and subways, the infrastructure is, as it were, brought into play at the outset. An electric truck is going to be entering an infrastructure that was optimised for and developed around petroleum powered vehicles.

A similar question can be asked in a more extreme example. Why don't we see transport shipping on the seas as pure electric? The infrastructure sure as heck hasn't even been conceived of yet, and solar is a pipe dream.
wink.gif

Anything like a huge warehouse and deciding on gas or electric fork trucks? Infrastructure will be built/paid for by the user.

So they can each do four runs then on a five minute charge?
whistle.gif

Are you kidding me? Where did you read that?

Wasn't that the original promise, or something similarly outlandish? I guess reality has to hit, though.
Original article says 30 minutes with special chargers.

"Special" enough they don't even factor into the issue right now, or for the foreseeable future, I suspect.
Keep working that buggy whip!!!!!

On-trend PR and feel-good activism are far more powerful forces in today's market than the science of physics and chemistry. Musk knows this.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
"Special" enough they don't even factor into the issue right now, or for the foreseeable future, I suspect.
Keep working that buggy whip!!!!!

I don't take it that way
21.gif

Seems something quite reasonable to be curious about: how one plans on connecting that amount of power to the vehicle in a way designed for the average dock hand to not kill himself. And how that system is going to look on the docks, and how that is going to connect to the grid.

Back