Teaser: powdercoated Audi RS6 wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came out of powdercoat yesterday. Trying to mimic the super-rare "Black Optics" color they were offered in.

imagejpeg952.jpg

They're going on this as new summer tires:

IMG_2511.jpg

Nice, it looks much better than the 6 spokes on the car now. In general, I like 5 spokes wheel better than 6, 7 or more spokes wheels.

Nice. How much did it run to powder coat them? How long were they at the shop?

I would love to powder coat my truck wheels someday!

Looks good!

Originally Posted By: dparm
$250. Small local shop. Got them back in about a week and a half.

Did $250 cover sandblasting the old finish off as well? Either way, that's a very good price...

Yep, $250 out the door. Just a group of guys who do it in their spare time, so their overhead is nice and low.

They're finally on...powdercoated RS6 wheels, 18x8 +30 on 245/40R18 rubber. Absolutely amazing. So glad I opted for gunmetal instead of the original silver. The wider offset versus stock helps give it a meaner stance for sure.

No centercaps on for the photo -- had to paint and install them later in the day, see the last shot I took for a close-up.

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

And my homemade centercaps which turned out a million times better than I had hoped:

IMG_3521.jpg

PS: If anyone is curious, the rotors are DBA 4000s.

Last edited:
Not only the color looks stunning, you never have to clean the brake dust off it. It is *exactly* the color of the brake dust :)

Did you spend $1000 or $250?

- Vikas

You "robbed them blind" :) What a great deal!!

How did you make the center cap? Where did you get the emblem?

- Vikas

Center cap was included but it was the wrong color and style. I sprayed it to match, then bought some metal Audi logos on eBay and glued them on.

Impressive work on the center caps. It's one of the best looking homemade jobs I've seen. To be honest, I've seen plenty of aftermarket caps that don't look nearly as good.

I don't hate to say it, but I told you that the wide-track RS6 was the way to go for the summer tires. I'm just glad they look as good as I'd imagined. Otherwise, I'd have some explaining to do...
07.gif

Have you noted any rub, or are the sidewalls inset just enough to give you the necessary clearance? If my calculations were correct, you shouldn't see any except when turning with the suspension compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back