'18 Optima EX, Selling Time?

In November of 2020 after 18 months of ownership I sold my '19 miata club and purchased a used '18 Kia Optima EX. The car had 26k miles on it and the paint was rough for a 2 year old car. It was not well taken care of. I only paid 13,900 for the car (15,700) out of door. The car would be paid off this September. During my ownership, the car was involved in an relatively minor accident. I don't drive much, and in my 2.5 yr of ownership I've only put 18k miles. The only major maintenance I've done is regular oil changes with practically free oil, maxlife ATF d&f, coolant d&f, a new battery, and more recently 4 new tires and alignment. My powertrain warranty is coming to an end in July and my $250 registration would be due. I am wondering if I should sell the vehicle for the offers below. My Camaro would be my only car, but I work from home so I don't put much miles. I would only be saving around 400 a year on insurance since I have the Camaro with Haggerty under "classic car" insurance. Eventually I am going to need a 4 door to start a family, but I am thinking I could wait until prices drop (going to be at least a year or two). I test drove a Civic SI which was a great car, and not that small either (but no Camaro). My fiance also used to own a Camry 2.5 which I liked better in all ways over my Kia except her leather seats. At the Toyota dealer I sat in the "softex" seats and they were way more comfortable than what she had. If I sell I would probably get one of those two, although I might also test drive the new WRX.

Carvana offered me 15,700
Shift offered me 16,300 +150 drop off bonus
Vroom 13,400
Carmax 16,000
Toyota dealer (KBB) 16,100

For sell: hate black color, car handles like a dog, fuel economy is mediocre (mostly city, around 22mpg), accident on record, paint in bad shape, 2.4 theta II reputation (lifetime warranty but hassle), competition way better, have to deal with parking this on the street and moving it around for street sweeping, get to enjoy the camaro more.

For keep: brand new tires, paid off later this year, mostly good previous maintenance history (carfax showed all oil changes) + what I did, doesn't burn oil, comfortable leather, similar type car 30k or more, gas more $ for trips (camaro), wear and tear on Camaro, my fiance can drive something when the weather is bad (not often though).

What ya'll think? I have an appointment to sell to shift, but I'd like to solicit opinions. In this market, prices spiked due to tax refunds. Just a months ago, the offers I got were around 12k.

Last edited:
I would sell. Only keep what you really like.
I should probably look at what H/K offers as well. I didn't buy this car new to get the 100k powertrain, but that's a great warranty if you do. I thought about Elantra N, but it might be too uncomfortable for the use case. I'll look at what else they have. I like how they still offer a port injected motor.

That thing would be gone yesterday with some of those offers. Drove it for 2.5 years and still selling for more than paid, gotta love this crazy car market (sometimes)

Also be lucky the steering column isn't knocking, every one we get traded in is (gear on the steering motor wears out) . I kinda dig Hyun/Kia but the Optima's are meh in almost every way.

That thing would be gone yesterday with some of those offers. Drove it for 2.5 years and still selling for more than paid, gotta love this crazy car market (sometimes)

Also be lucky the steering column isn't knocking, every one we get traded in is (gear on the steering motor wears out) . I kinda dig Hyun/Kia but the Optima's are meh in almost every way.
Lol, when I bought the car it had that problem and the electric retractable mirror was broken. I had those problems fixed under warranty but the wheel still made a slight noise. I also had the infotainment headunit replaced because the bluetooth would cut out. This unit didn't allow software updates, so they had to swap the whole unit. The android auto still randomly disconnected, but that could be an Android auto issue. Mechanically, the car was pretty good aside from the ride and handling. The motor was very hard on oil and the stock brake rotors were somewhat warped (judder). Tax refunds are inflating the prices right now. A few months ago, I was offered 12,500.

The experience dropping off the car at Pomona, CA was just ok. They took about an hour to draw up the paperwork so I had time to browse their huge lot. They actually have a very large inventory. Maybe the equivalent of 2 dealerships or maybe one large dealership. They say they inspect the car but only in rare circumstances, such as frame damage, do they return the car; but they do reserve that right. They did honor the extra $150 for drop off, but the uber back cost me $40. Still $300 more than the KBB toyota dealership who initially lowballed me, then beat carmax by $100.

Back