Talk Some Sense into an Oil Thickie?

Most people aren't pushing their cars anywhere close to the point that the recommended oil is going to be an issue. I'd just use the 0W20 unless I was tracking the car regularly and not worry about "high revs" during daily driving. Toyota specs an 0W20 in the Supra.

... I'd just use the 0W20 unless I was tracking the car regularly and not worry about "high revs" during daily driving. Toyota specs an 0W20 in the Supra.
Doesn't the Lotus Evora use that same Toyota Supra engine? I've read that the Evora recommends 5w40.

Can you talk some sense into me? I recently bought a 2023 Acura Integra, basically Acura's version of the Civic Si. I've got 900 miles on it and am thinking of doing the first oil change this weekend. I just can't wrap my mind around using 0W-20 in a turbocharged engine that will see a lot of high revs.

I joined this site in 2003 and always watched the 20 weight debates from afar. This is the first time I've ever had to run a 20 weight, now I'm conflicted! I know that millions of engines have lived long and productive lives on 0W-20, and that this Honda L15CA may have been designed with 0W-20 in mind. But I also know that I will drive this harder than a typical commuter, and that the EPA requires them to state that only 0W-20 should be used, regardless of what the engineers would prefer, and that thicker oils are specified in other markets that don't have this EPA requirement.

As of right now I'm planning to find a fully synthetic SP rated 0W-30, with the highest HTHS and lowest NOACK numbers I can find. Am I crazy?
I'm in a similar boat. In my old Forester XT, 5W-30 was recommended and it allowed up to 10W-40. Given the issues with the EJ engine's bearings, I always went with a Euro xW-30, 0W-40, or 10W-40.

Now that I have a new Outback turbo, I'm actually sticking with the 0W-20 recommendation. This 2.4 DIT is a more robust engine than the 2.0 DIT in the WRX. The only history of this engine was one year before my model year where it showed up in the new Ascent. Generally speaking, they haven't seen issues like some of the older EJ engine did despite consistent fuel dilution.

I know that if this engine were available in another country, it would probably allow thicker oils like the current 2.0 DIT in Japan/Australia/Europe. Unfortunately, no other countries have this engine currently. I did get a bit nervous a couple of weeks ago driving in deep sand on the beach. My oil temps got up to 220/222, but it's probably fine since it was no more than a few minutes.

Most people probably think I'm crazy running 0W-20 in a turbocharged Subaru. I like crazy. :ROFLMAO: Although I may actually bump up the viscosity within the next couple of oci's.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Lotus Evora use that same Toyota Supra engine? I've read that the Evora recommends 5w40.
No idea - the GR Supra specs 0W20, that should tell you all that is needed here. That is a far more powerful engine that the Intergra.

No idea - the GR Supra specs 0W20, that should tell you all that is needed here. That is a far more powerful engine that the Intergra.
If the Evora does use the same engine and recommends 0w40, that tells you something important: if you drive it hard you should have thicker oil. This wouldn't be the only time that a company recommends thicker oil when driving it hard.

If the Evora does use the same engine and recommends 0w40, that tells you something important: if you drive it hard you should have thicker oil. This wouldn't be the only time that a company recommends thicker oil when driving it hard.
As I clearly stated in my original post above, it's more than likely that the OP isn't driving the car hard. How many people really "send it" in their daily cars that would require you to run a thicker oil? I'll say nearly 0%. Just b/c you have a quick little car like the Integra doesn't mean on your daily commute and accelerating hard to get on the highway you need special oil beyond what the OE says to use.

At what temp gradient does 0 reach 5 compared to 5W20. Who overloads an engine while it`s warming. Not sure this 0 grade is all it`s purported to be. Will look for some studies on this subject.

Honda/Acura only list 0w-20 for this engine, regardless of country (at least the US and European owners manuals I found online).

That said, I too would have issues running 0w-20 in any turbo engine. I would be much more comfortable with a xW-30 oil for longevity.

I run 0W-20 and 5w-20 oil in several of my vehicles that are spec'ed for it, so have no real issues with "thin" oils, but none of them are turbo's either.

I understand some trepidation running 0W-20 in a turbo but pretty sure lots of Euro manufacturers are now spec'ing it and there are some beefy oil coolers on these things....

Can you talk some sense into me? I recently bought a 2023 Acura Integra, basically Acura's version of the Civic Si. I've got 900 miles on it and am thinking of doing the first oil change this weekend. I just can't wrap my mind around using 0W-20 in a turbocharged engine that will see a lot of high revs.

I joined this site in 2003 and always watched the 20 weight debates from afar. This is the first time I've ever had to run a 20 weight, now I'm conflicted! I know that millions of engines have lived long and productive lives on 0W-20, and that this Honda L15CA may have been designed with 0W-20 in mind. But I also know that I will drive this harder than a typical commuter, and that the EPA requires them to state that only 0W-20 should be used, regardless of what the engineers would prefer, and that thicker oils are specified in other markets that don't have this EPA requirement.

As of right now I'm planning to find a fully synthetic SP rated 0W-30, with the highest HTHS and lowest NOACK numbers I can find. Am I crazy?
No, We all want to think we are smarter than every engineer at Honda.

I'm waiting for the

I'm really confused on what you're trying to say.

I'm waiting for the

I'm really confused on what you're trying to say.
As the oil warms the VII maintains viscosity, at what temp is 0 equal to 5. And is it of any importance. Wouldn`t the higher number be of most relevance esp for fuel efficiency. I differ to those who know more than I which is most everyone on this site.

at what temp is 0 equal to 5
I just don't think anyone knows what this means. I'm not trying to be mean, I, and probably other members will need you to try to explain what you mean by that, so we (most likely other members) can help answer your question. :)

Back