Talk about running HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Hmm. Does shipping to Kuwait exceed the labor cost savings?
wink.gif

That's an unbelievable deal by US standards.

LOL!
laugh.gif
On a serious note, shipping charges are ridiculously expensive. If they can't get you on the weight, they get you on volumatric weight - whichever is greater. You end up paying anywhere up to $15/kg.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
My apologies I keep forgeting you are in Kuwait, considering the part of the world it looks fairly good then.

At least you know when you have an oil leak right away! All dust sticks to that spot instantly
lol.gif

No worries. The dust does certainly prove helpful for leak detection.
wink.gif

Some pictures on the process. Let me start off by saying this 62 year old gentleman certainly puts me to shame, being able to lift a cast iron block and cylinder heads all on his own. He spent 3 hours cleaning up/sanding the block last night, after it came back from the machine shop where it was cleaned in a tank:

28ckqrr.jpg

2hh12pz.jpg

Mahle piston rings and Sealed Power connecting rods and main bearings:

qnmv5x.jpg

Victor Reinz head gaskets:

21mdi00.jpg

After 3 hours of cleaning he finally started installing the crankshaft, followed by the pistons:

jj08ex.jpg

He wasn't too pleased with the camshaft, so he stopped and said he was going to get a new one before going any further:

3522mnb.jpg

14k8s29.jpg

How the heck does that happen to a roller cam????
crazy2.gif
(rhetorical question, but holy poo does that look bad!)

You should kindly explain the theory to keeping an engine bay clean as well.

I used to do this, but it's too much work for something that seldom gets seen. Unless you take your car to shows and always have the hood up, having a clean engine bay really serves no purpose. My engine runs just as well no matter how dirty my engine bay is.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How the heck does that happen to a roller cam????
crazy2.gif
(rhetorical question, but holy poo does that look bad!)

It was running rough before the overheating, and I always thought the distributor was faulty. Now we found out what the actual cause was.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
You should kindly explain the theory to keeping an engine bay clean as well.

I used to do this, but it's too much work for something that seldom gets seen. Unless you take your car to shows and always have the hood up, having a clean engine bay really serves no purpose. My engine runs just as well no matter how dirty my engine bay is.

It probably depends on the environment also. I live almost two miles off the highway and getting to my house means driving on a gravel road. Probably at least 25% of my driving is on gravel roads and it is impossible to keep the engine bay or the exteriors of my vehicles clean, especially this year when we've had about an inch of rain total for the last three months.
If the engine in the photos is in Kuwait, who knows what conditions it has experienced. I've got a few marine buddies who've been there and told me some horrendous stories about sand and dust storms. Not everybody lives in the inner city where the grass is green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back