Taking a little break…..

Not quite the same, but I have a lot of grief and anger issues over the loss of my dad and youngest brother. Therapy helps, so long as you ”shop around” to find someone who works for you. I’ve gone through half a dozen and think I’ve finally found one I can talk to and who helps me get through that and other stuff that’s come up since then.

The worst thing I did was initially, and for a couple of years, pack my emotions away and pretend I was OK. When everything finally hit me it was bad; really bad. I should have sought help much sooner.

Truly sorry to hear. I can't offer any advice. I just hope you find a way to cope with this with the support of family and friends. How old is your son?

Sorry for you loss Dave. Cancer is a terrible disease. My wife of 47 years is fighting it and they have told her there is nothing they can do. I am not looking forward to the day she is no longer with me.

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my Mother to cancer. My Wife is going to have a second heart valve replaced and the preop CT scan turned up a spot on her left lung. They are telling us they are pretty sure it's benign. She is having a biopsy done soon.
I can only imagine what you are going through. I hope you have someone to talk to. I think that makes a huge difference.

Oh my, I am so sorry for your loss. Life is so precious and unpredictable. I take so much for granted. I have trouble being mindful to live in the day vs. my tendency to think of the past and the future. I sometimes get wrapped up with the rants of all the world's ills and have to force myself to appreciate the good things.

Besides the support of family and friends, please try to find some professional support. If you have "man issues" regarding seeking counseling, be a real man and do what's best. My wife has long term health issues and I sometimes visit web sites about dealing with the loss of a loved one.

I wish you and your family the best in coping with this and eventually moving forward.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your wife and life as you knew it. I do wish there was something I can say to ease your suffering..
My wife passed suddenly in 2005. Spending time with my daughter, though she was living at college 2 hours away, helped me immeasurably. She called me everyday and that was the only joy I felt for some time.
I also kept busy. My job gave me the opportunity to travel a good deal of the time, which kept me occupied. So I didn't sit and brood. It was still so hard though. It overwhelmed me how much of my life was missing. The empty house, missing her at every simple action or part of the day, avoiding places we would go together. Even driving by a restaurant or grocery store would trigger the punch to the stomach. I couldn't give her clothes away, It felt like throwing her memory away.
Continuing the routine of life felt like a burden every day.
You have to continue through the fog and pain.
Please fight if you notice any tendency towards depression. Seeking help isn't a shame or weakness.

The memories that constantly triggered became less of a punch in the stomach, the literally sick and empty feeling that would come over me, and eventually eased into warm feelings and memories.
Everyone is different and has to find their own path forward.
I wish you and your son good memories and fullness going forward.
Respectfully,
D

Sorry to hear, and my condolences. 🙏 Stay strong, be positive and remember the good times ... time will heal and bring happiness again.

So, so sorry for your pain and loss. One thing I would suggest is to get a notebook and when they come to mind, start writing down every positive memory about your wife, every joyful occasion, everything you appreciated about her. Don't try to force it, but whenever you have something to write down, go back and look at some of the things you've already written.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. What helped me was that I got to spend more time with my then 12-year-old son. I had to make some changes regarding my job, and I had to move all the way from the other coast. My parents and several friends were a great help for a few years. If you are close to your family and if you have good friends it will help. The greatest lesson for me has been not only the unpredictability of life but also that life keeps going on, even if it may seem at times like it's all over.

Back