Should i take a federal job out of state?

Heck no unless you are already planning on moving there and needed a job quick. Overall, federal jobs suck and 10k increase in pay is not worth your time and headaches to move, angry wife, etc.

Rio grande valley used to very cheap until SpaceX came, here 58k Is good given I have two months off with pay as a teacher.
Glad it works for you. As long as you spend less then you make , family happy, have a retirement fund or pension and have no consumer debt you are doing well irrelevant to salary per year.

Last edited:
Because I never had any experience in engineering. After college I went into teaching. This is my first engineering job.
How long has it been since you were in engineering school?

There is generally a lack of engineers to fill positions everywhere. You shouldn't have to settle working for uncle Sam.

Rio grande valley used to very cheap until SpaceX came, here 58k Is good given I have two months off with pay as a teacher.

If you are currently getting $58K/yr. with 2 months off with pay, you would be essentially taking a pay CUT by making $68K / year in Ohio.
(i.e., $58,000/10 mos. = $5,800/mo. vs. $68,000/12 mos. = $5,667/mo.)

Heck no unless you are already planning on moving there and needed a job quick. Overall, federal jobs suck and 10k increase in pay is not worth your time and headaches to move, angry wife, etc.
Do all federal jobs suck?

My neighbor an Air Force veteran now works for them in accounting and is able to accomplish her job in about 2 hrs from home daily and appears to be a superstar because she adds another 1.5hr to her day going above and beyond. She’s a single mum and beyond active in community and school.

Also consider cost of living. Ohio has a state income tax, I don't now about how high property and sales taxes are. $68K for someone with your educational background seems low to me. Federal pay is usually lower than the open market but if you make a career out of it and stay until retirement then that is when it becomes advantageous. But as a teacher you should have a decent retirement package I would think.

Money isn't everything. Job satisfaction, commute, etc. all play into it.
Not only that but I would look into the cost of living in Ohio. I don’t know what it is
Here in the Carolinas out of the massive amount of people moving here if they arent from the northeast it’s Ohio followed by CA

You pay seems really low especially for all that education. Maybe consider moving away from family for twice the money you get now and even then iffy. Big nope on “offer”

Maybe set your sights a lot higher or is $58k a living wage in your locale? I would suspect you should be into the low $100s between those degrees starting.
lol

He's an adjunct professor for a community college. How much do you think they make exactly?! At the CC I worked at recently, someone with a Masters would start out at $42-43k on the pay scale. PHD would bump to like $46-48k.

He's not at a tier 1 Div. 1 school in research lol

According to some number crunching your new net pay in OH would be less than $8k more than your current net pay thanks to higher state taxes (and additional fed taxes of course). So, that 10K gap closes a bit. This does not account for local taxes, if those would be a thing where you would live, or cost of living increases which I can safely assume would be higher than Texas.

Ohio not only has State income tax, they also have local income tax. Texas has no income tax. I would bet that negates the additional $10k right there.
This is what I was going to say. Ohio has a state income tax, 2.75% for you. Whitehall has a 2.5% income tax. Many, or most, Ohio school districts have an income tax. On the bright side, it appears Franklin County, Ohio does not have an income tax.

Add cost of the move, cost of housing, etc. There is no way taking the job makes sense financially.

There is generally a lack of engineers to fill positions everywhere.

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

46k is ridiculous for a teacher with 9 years experience. Custodian make $100k after 10 years
I agree with you that he should be paid more but you need to realize that NY, CA and others are not indicative of what is the norm for most of the US. Even so, I find it hard to believe that most custodians make 6 figures after 10 years, even in NY.

I agree with you that he should be paid more but you need to realize that NY, CA and others are not indicative of what is the norm for most of the US. Even so, I find it hard to believe that most custodians make 6 figures after 10 years, even in NY.
Absolutely correkt.

Back