T6 5w40 for SnowKing 8hp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to catch up on maintenance on an old (25 years) snowblower that had been neglected. I've run a couple changes of Pennzoil PP 5w30 in her. Both seemed to get dark very quickly.

Would I be better off with an oil like Rotella T6 ? The manual calls for 5w30 in the temps it usually gets used in, and it's stored in an unheated shed.

I've used T6 in the past. Using T5 or PU 10w-30 from now on, though. I hear Sno-Kings are happiest on a thirty weight oil as opposed to a forty. So I stopped using T6. Oh yeah, also use GC as well.

I can't see T6 being bad for a cleaning cycle. Others might have more to add.

John.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I'd rustle up a 0w- something, starter pull ropes can and do break.

These engines don't really lug and don't really need a 40 weight to protect bearings. I'd worry about the turning black & soot loading, which the diesel oil can handle but so can the PP.

I wouldnt use that thick an oil in a splash lube engine running at 0f

probably be "ok" but certainly can do better.

How about a 50/50 mix of T5, 10W-30, and Mobil 1, AFE, 0W-30?

End result is 5W-30, with a lot of detergents...

LoL you Americans are so funny

Its OPE engine...its not f.... high tech engine..so it will work fine on anything that lubricates.

And mixing different oils will only result in greater oil consumption...you look so funny when thinking that if you will play home lab tehnicians that you will discover completly new oil

I have Simplicity snowking with Tecumseh HMSK 100 engine...and it runs like new after 15year of "abuse" with 10w40...5w40

KameleON, yes, we tend to over-think things here on this forum. It's why we're here.
laugh.gif

Wheel, unless you are getting high consumption with the 5W30, I'd stick with it. 40 weight is probably OK but may not splash the same if you really want to over-think things.

I use Chevron Delo 0W-30 HDEO ... best of both worlds. Good luck finding it in upstate NY. You'll figure out why I call it "Yeti Blood" very quickly.
wink.gif

You are splash lube, the thinner the better. I do not think snow engines get the oil hot. So 0W or 5W is good. I don't think you are going to see heat thinning enough to take advantage of a 0W40.

Rod

I'll stick with the Pennzoil then. I'ts been starting nicely on the 3rd pull with that in it. Haven't used the electric start on it yet, even at 0F.

I'm about 30 miles south of you Bror Jace, I'll keep an eye out for your Yeti Blood, just in case.

Whatever oil will you pour in...pay attention only that it has diesel specifications......

due OPE engines doesn`t have oil filters more TBNs and more detergents are welcomed

I don't think I could get more Yeti Blood even if I wanted to. The family of Yeti I was harvesting it from have migrated out of this region.
frown.gif

Citgo also makes a HDEO 0W-30. Of course, I've never seen that either.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I do not think snow engines get the oil hot.

So, would you be willing to drain the oil from your snowblower after blowing snow and then pour it over your bare hand? How cold do you think it is?

Ethan1, I don't think anyone here is saying oil in a snowblower engine doesn't get hot. But there is a big difference between 200F and 250F when it comes to oil (or oil film) ceasing to protect or utterly breaking down.

Compare and contrast an engine run in 10F winter weather where thje outside air is constantly, actively pulling heat out of the motor with an engine running on a 90F summer day.

I'd say it makes a difference enough to affect what kind (type and weight) of oil you use.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Ethan1, I don't think anyone here is saying oil in a snowblower engine doesn't get hot.

But that is literally what he said...

Ive been using T6 in my 5hp snow king for a few years now. It works great!

You guys are way over thinking things. 5w40 will splash just fine. Also these engines do run pretty hot under load. The muffler on mine will turn orange hot and any snow that gets on the head melts and quickly boils off.

I guess I'm not getting all the "It's too thick"???

5w40 is blended and spec'd to cold pull-start easier than SAE30 or 10w30. It's a 5w when cold!

I'm not sure I'd specifically buy this oil for a snowblower, but if it was the same price as a cheap 30wt variant, I sure would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back