Oil recommendation - Winter/Summer L5P

40 is 40. Your engine doesn't get more protection from 15W vice 0/5W in the Summer.
Pick the 0/5W that is most convenient or gives you the warm fuzzies and worry about fuel gelling in the Winter instead.
Not necessarily true though. 0w40 would be recommended if that was the case. There is a difference between 15w40 and 0w40. Never had a problem with fuel gelling down to 30 below (parked outside).

Talked with Mobile 1 and they recommended the Delvac 1 over the Delvac Extreme. Something about 3x OCI of OEM vs 2x, sound like marketing BS, but I didn’t realize it was Delvac vs Delvac 1, but either way, got 3 gallons of ESP 5w40 for $30 after MIR. Paired with the AMS Oil filter. I should be able to get to April or May next year and I’ll be really tempted to stick with the same 5w40 ESP, it’s cheap enough and I’ve seen lots of folks running 5w40 in hotter environments, without issues.

Not necessarily true though. 0w40 would be recommended if that was the case. There is a difference between 15w40 and 0w40. Never had a problem with fuel gelling down to 30 below (parked outside).

Talked with Mobile 1 and they recommended the Delvac 1 over the Delvac Extreme. Something about 3x OCI of OEM vs 2x, sound like marketing BS, but I didn’t realize it was Delvac vs Delvac 1, but either way, got 3 gallons of ESP 5w40 for $30 after MIR. Paired with the AMS Oil filter. I should be able to get to April or May next year and I’ll be really tempted to stick with the same 5w40 ESP, it’s cheap enough and I’ve seen lots of folks running 5w40 in hotter environments, without issues.

Salespeople are not exactly the best people to ask for advice..
in fact any entity with a vested interest in selling a product can be considered to be suspect..

apparently you don't understand what the viscosity numbers on the container of oil mean.
Did you know there is a learning center on BITOG click here.. https://bobistheoilguy.com/putting-the-simple-back-into-viscosity/

Last edited:
Salespeople are not exactly the best people to ask for advice..
in fact any entity with a vested interest in selling a product can be considered to be suspect..

apparently you don't understand what the viscosity numbers on the container of oil mean.
Did you know there is a learning center on BITOG click here.. https://bobistheoilguy.com/putting-the-simple-back-into-viscosity/
I don’t think you actually read what I posted previously. I fully understand salesmen don’t have your interest in mind.

Thanks for contributing your opinion on what I know. Very helpful and insightful. Guess OTR Owner/Operators are dumb because they don’t know 0w-40 exists.

I don’t think you actually read what I posted previously. I fully understand salesmen don’t have your interest in mind.

Thanks for contributing your opinion on what I know. Very helpful and insightful. Guess OTR Owner/Operators are dumb because they don’t know 0w-40 exists.

The heavy equipment operators in mining and forestry that have to leave their machines at the worksite overnight or over the weekend certainly know that 0W40 exists judging from the empty pails lying about.

The L5P owners manual lists 15W40 and 5W40. Obviously whoever wrote the manual doesn’t know that 10W40 CK-4 exists and has nothing in common other than grade with your grandfather’s 10W40.

I cant speak for OTR operators but I can speak for a retired Diesel Mechanic with 40+ years work experience in a 700 vehicle diesel powered fleet

Back