T-Mobile Raises Rates

If your preference is to initiate a switch to Mint Mobile by using a local brick and mortar store, you can go and pick up a 3-month starter plan with SIM card at your local Best Buy store. They also offer a 7-day trial SIM for $2 if you just want to see how good Mint coverage is in your area. Subsequent renewals are done online or via the Mint Mobile app.

View attachment 221871
Stay away, not cheap, it's a come on rate for the first 3 months. First clue was "new customer offers"
Not only that, they add taxes and fees to that number which isnt real because that number changes after 3 months to a new rate..
Nothing wrong with selecting this T-Mobile Company but find out what the real rate is with "fees and taxes" added in. Dealing with Mint is like going to a car dealer for a car. Know what is the real price before you buy.

Then check out others like Red Pocket and US Mobile and Total (by Verizon) that includes all taxes and fees in the rates they quote. No games.

"Promotional rate for first 3 months only; then full-price plan options available. Taxes & fees extra. Limited time new customer offer;"

Last edited:
Stay away, not cheap, it's a come on rate for the first 3 months. First clue was "new customer offers"
Not only that, they add taxes and fees to that number which isnt real because that number changes after 3 months to a new rate..
Nothing wrong with selecting this T-Mobile Company but find out what the real rate is with "fees and taxes" added in. Dealing with Mint is like going to a car dealer for a car. Know what is the real price before you buy.

Then check out others like Red Pocket and US Mobile and Total (by Verizon) that includes all taxes and fees in the rates they quote. No games.

"Promotional rate for first 3 months only; then full-price plan options available. Taxes & fees extra. Limited time new customer offer;"
So not really stay away, but rather understand what you are being offered.

On the upside, when I did the three month trial, they recommended the 15gig plan as the "unlimited" (and that's a whole different ball of snakes for ALL carriers) was overkill for my needs.

My 15gb / month plan was $260.20 in my area with taxes and fees for 12 months of service, or $21.68/month. That's $1.68 in taxes and fees each month above the $20/month annual rate.

Remains to be seen if this continues now that TMO owns Mint.

One does need to pay for a year in advance to get that rate.

And yes, one needs to understand.

Visible is another than offers flat $25 or $45/month plans. They are also rolling out pay a year in advance options.

If one is looking for VZN as their network provider, Visible is a decent option as well and they play fewer games. It's $25/month or $45/month or whatever the annual rates are.

So not really stay away, but rather understand what you are being offered.

On the upside, when I did the three month trial, they recommended the 15gig plan as the "unlimited" (and that's a whole different ball of snakes for ALL carriers) was overkill for my needs.

My 15gb / month plan was $260.20 in my area with taxes and fees for 12 months of service, or $21.68/month. That's $1.68 in taxes and fees each month above the $20/month annual rate.

Remains to be seen if this continues now that TMO owns Mint.

One does need to pay for a year in advance to get that rate.

And yes, one needs to understand.

Visible is another than offers flat $25 or $45/month plans. They are also rolling out pay a year in advance options.

If one is looking for VZN as their network provider, Visible is a decent option as well and they play fewer games. It's $25/month or $45/month or whatever the annual rates are.
Agree, understand what is being offered.
As recommended by @14Accent I am thrilled to have switched to this service. I was a past long time user of Red Pocket but recent 2 year stint with T Mobile for two iPhone 13s that were given to us.
We have Verizon service with US Mobile (Identified as "Warp") but cool thing about US Mobile you can switch providers to T Mobile (identified as GSM)just by logging into your US Mobile account.
AS stated my wife and I have two lines, share 12gb of data a month, actual monthly payment is $33.

If you scroll down the link we did "Pay for what you need plan"
It's a great option for anyone, I switched our lines from T-Mobile over to US Mobile last week without a phone call. (actually one phone call for my wife's phone to get a transfer number only because I did my number first without calling anyone but since the TMobile account was in my name and I transferred out of it, I lost access for my wife's transfer number and had to call)

Agree, understand what is being offered.
As recommended by @14Accent I am thrilled to have switched to this service. I was a past long time user of Red Pocket but recent 2 year stint with T Mobile for two iPhone 13s that were given to us.
We have Verizon service with US Mobile (Identified as "Warp") but cool thing about US Mobile you can switch providers to T Mobile (identified as GSM)just by logging into your US Mobile account.
AS stated my wife and I have two lines, share 12gb of data a month, actual monthly payment is $33.

If you scroll down the link we did "Pay for what you need plan"
It's a great option for anyone, I switched our lines from T-Mobile over to US Mobile last week without a phone call. (actually one phone call for my wife's phone to get a transfer number only because I did my number first without calling anyone but since the TMobile account was in my name and I transferred out of it, I lost access for my wife's transfer number and had to call)

Bottom line is it's a great time to be a cell phone consumer as one is not tied to a brick and mortar store. There are options out there. Not everyone needs a $75+ per line with all the add-ons plan.

There are legitimate used phone sellers if one doesn't want to either wade into FB marketplace (seems to be full of iPhone clones that unsuspecting buyers might buy. Does anyone really believe they are getting a genuine iPhone 15 Pro Max for $199?)

Or, one can buy directly from Samsung, Apple and others depending on their preference for Robot or Fruit phones.

If your preference is to initiate a switch to Mint Mobile by using a local brick and mortar store, you can go and pick up a 3-month starter plan with SIM card at your local Best Buy store. They also offer a 7-day trial SIM for $2 if you just want to see how good Mint coverage is in your area. Subsequent renewals are done online or via the Mint Mobile app.

View attachment 221871
Good to know.

Not sure how helpful the folks will be. I suppose they want to sell phones, so they can help. Might need to help customers with eSIM only phones like iPhone 14 and newer. (At least here in the US such phones are eSIM only. The truly brave can get a Canadian or other that has a physical SIM slot and hope it gets activated here.)

Up until sometime last year I owned stock in T Mobile and was up to date on the network vs competition. (I wish I held the stock now) It was known at the time that they were way ahead of ATT and Verizon with the conversion of upgrading cell towers to 5g (all types) Verizon scrambled and was getting up to speed at that time. It wasnt even close. But that is changing rapidly and Verizon finally got their act together. However (unsure as now I am not following) the merger with Sprint bought them boatloads of extra bandwidth and not sure if the others will catch up soon.

(T Mobile) Ok, so anyway in the recent past I drove to a tower near my home (I posted this before) it's around 2 to 2.5 miles away with my old ACTUAL T Mobile service. Near this tower with T-Mobile I get upwards of 600 Mbps on 5g UC. However down the road at my house 2.5 miles away I get no/where near that, maybe 40 to 50 from what I remember. Distance takes a heavy toll on 5g and why I do not care to much other than to beat the download test site because on a phone I dont really need it but it is cool to see.

( Verizon) is now my new service with US Mobile as that is what I elected but as you posted I can switch to TMobile network anytime.
I went to the same tower with my now Verizon service 2.5 miles away. I learned yesterday unlike T Mobile, there is no 5g Verizon service on that tower yet. 4 of 4 bars of LTE service gave me 173 Mbps. Still plenty fine.

This tower near my home is an incredibly fast growing area of the Carolina Coast. But was and to some degree still very rural. With time more towers will be built and more 5g service will be upgraded on existing towers. Many may not know many of these cell phones towers are not owned by the cell phone companies. They are owned by companies such as American Tower and carry all the major cell phone companies cell phone antennas. The space on those towers are leased to Verizon, TMobile, ATT etc. So many of these have all three major cell phone companies on the same tower and it is justt tower by tower who is in the lead in upgrading to 5g which one day will have many other uses vs just cell phones. The range of 5g is very limited without massive further building out the network. City areas of course are much easier to cover.

View attachment 221355

SO as you can see the test above from a tower 2.5 (road miles) from my home within maybe 1/4th of a mile, clear sight of the tower. No 5g where T-Mobile had 5g and I had 600+ Mbps.

SO last night we were out to dinner at Bonefish Grill in the more populated N. Myrtle Beach area and I looked at my phone and saw I had Verizons 5g UW service.
Once we finished dinner and got into our car I did a speed test. Stopped the car in the middle of the parking lot. I had 3 of 4 bars of service and no idea where the tower was but with only 3 bars it wasnt right next to me. And pulled between 325 and 360 Mbps on the two tests that I did.

I still cant confirm (what is most important in our area) is if one service has better coverage than the other. But it's fun to know if I ever want I can switch my US Mobile from Verizon service to T-Mobile service.
On a cell phone I wont notice any difference between them if latency is the same.

View attachment 221357View attachment 221358

I guess bottom line is if Verizon will have better coverage than T-Mobile in our rural area. I suspect not and they will both be the same. IT is interesting. I do like the voice quality (tone) of Verizon with the iPhone a little better but cant say it is better but sounds more pleasing to my ear.
However I think time has taken care of which service is better than the other in a lot of areas. In my mind I have giving an edge as far as 5g speeds rightfully so to TMobile but its not like it makes much difference. The key is you have service, whether LTE which is fine or 5g which is fine.
LTE does everything I want and need it too do.

LTE does everything I want and need it too do.
Yes, and it’s actually more reliable than if you were in the fringe area on 5G
As an experiment the other week when I had T-Mobile, I actually switched off my 5G because it seemed like sometimes with the weak signal I was better off just on LTE.
Meaning the phone was trying to use 5G, but due to distance, the 5G signal was not reliable, and the LTE signal will always be more reliable in that situation.

I think in a rural area just using LTE worked better for me, but that was just an experiment and now I no longer have them so it was not a long-term test. But one thing was for sure there was no hit in performance by turning off the 5G.
It doesn’t matter to me if a cell phone has a speed of 40Mbps or 400Mbps of course it’s cool seeing a test result of 400, 600 or 700 Mbps

Not really...if you prepay for 12 months after the 90 day inaugural period, the monthly rate stays the same; albeit with minor taxes and fees as you stated. I got on the $15/mo. plan in 2022 by purchasing the physical SIM starter kit for $45 at Best Buy. After the inaugural 90 days, I renewed in 2023 and again in 2024 for ~$192 per year [i.e., ($15/mo. x 12 mos.) + $12 tax/fees].

You were probably thinking about the online promotional rate for new customers that they offer where you can get the Unlimited plan for half-off during the initial 90 day trial period. That rate will go up to the regular $30/mo. price after 90 days.

1717005625141.jpg

Last edited:
I’m on a different unlimited plan and so far no rate increase notification. Is the increase supposedly across the board?

Last edited:
Up until sometime last year I owned stock in T Mobile and was up to date on the network vs competition. (I wish I held the stock now) It was known at the time that they were way ahead of ATT and Verizon with the conversion of upgrading cell towers to 5g (all types) Verizon scrambled and was getting up to speed at that time. It wasnt even close. But that is changing rapidly and Verizon finally got their act together. However (unsure as now I am not following) the merger with Sprint bought them boatloads of extra bandwidth and not sure if the others will catch up soon.

(T Mobile) Ok, so anyway in the recent past I drove to a tower near my home (I posted this before) it's around 2 to 2.5 miles away with my old ACTUAL T Mobile service. Near this tower with T-Mobile I get upwards of 600 Mbps on 5g UC. However down the road at my house 2.5 miles away I get no/where near that, maybe 40 to 50 from what I remember. Distance takes a heavy toll on 5g and why I do not care to much other than to beat the download test site because on a phone I dont really need it but it is cool to see.

( Verizon) is now my new service with US Mobile as that is what I elected but as you posted I can switch to TMobile network anytime.
I went to the same tower with my now Verizon service 2.5 miles away. I learned yesterday unlike T Mobile, there is no 5g Verizon service on that tower yet. 4 of 4 bars of LTE service gave me 173 Mbps. Still plenty fine.

This tower near my home is an incredibly fast growing area of the Carolina Coast. But was and to some degree still very rural. With time more towers will be built and more 5g service will be upgraded on existing towers. Many may not know many of these cell phones towers are not owned by the cell phone companies. They are owned by companies such as American Tower and carry all the major cell phone companies cell phone antennas. The space on those towers are leased to Verizon, TMobile, ATT etc. So many of these have all three major cell phone companies on the same tower and it is justt tower by tower who is in the lead in upgrading to 5g which one day will have many other uses vs just cell phones. The range of 5g is very limited without massive further building out the network. City areas of course are much easier to cover.

View attachment 221355

SO as you can see the test above from a tower 2.5 (road miles) from my home within maybe 1/4th of a mile, clear sight of the tower. No 5g where T-Mobile had 5g and I had 600+ Mbps.

SO last night we were out to dinner at Bonefish Grill in the more populated N. Myrtle Beach area and I looked at my phone and saw I had Verizons 5g UW service.
Once we finished dinner and got into our car I did a speed test. Stopped the car in the middle of the parking lot. I had 3 of 4 bars of service and no idea where the tower was but with only 3 bars it wasnt right next to me. And pulled between 325 and 360 Mbps on the two tests that I did.

I still cant confirm (what is most important in our area) is if one service has better coverage than the other. But it's fun to know if I ever want I can switch my US Mobile from Verizon service to T-Mobile service.
On a cell phone I wont notice any difference between them if latency is the same.

View attachment 221357View attachment 221358

I guess bottom line is if Verizon will have better coverage than T-Mobile in our rural area. I suspect not and they will both be the same. IT is interesting. I do like the voice quality (tone) of Verizon with the iPhone a little better but cant say it is better but sounds more pleasing to my ear.
However I think time has taken care of which service is better than the other in a lot of areas. In my mind I have giving an edge as far as 5g speeds rightfully so to TMobile but its not like it makes much difference. The key is you have service, whether LTE which is fine or 5g which is fine.

Glad you like US MOBILE. I won’t ever go to t mobile. Verizon tears me good at $25/month for 12g data and unlimited talk/text.

Glad you like US MOBILE. I won’t ever go to t mobile. Verizon tears me good at $25/month for 12g data and unlimited talk/text.
Yeah the “Un Carrier” is now like the others now that they grabbed so much market share from ATT and Verizon.

They have bumped up their prices significantly and came out with a new tier of less featured plans at not so great prices but shareholders are happy and profits rolling in for them.

Turned many people off as the company was known to grandfather rates for existing customers and made those customers feel special. Well that is gone and so am I after just 2 years.

I’m glad they raised prices as I’ve used MVNOs for a decade before and this just pushed me back to them at a cost filled with features I didn’t think was possible.

Our provider before TMobile was Red Pocket with ATT service. Payment for two lines was $50 now here I’m am years later at only $33 with US Mobile.

As far as your Verizon itself yes they have the best budget plan of all the big guys now

Last edited:
Yeah the “Un Carrier” is now like the others now that they grabbed so much market share from ATT and Verizon.

They have bumped up their prices significantly and came out with a new tier of less featured plans at not so great prices but shareholders are happy and profits rolling in for them.

Turned many people off as the company was known to grandfather rates for existing customers and made those customers feel special. Well that is gone and so am I after just 2 years.

I’m glad they raised prices as I’ve used MVNOs for a decade before and this just pushed me back to them at a cost filled with features I didn’t think was possible.

Our provider before TMobile was Red Pocket with ATT service. Payment for two lines was $50 now here I’m am years later at only $33 with US Mobile.

As far as your Verizon itself yes they have the best budget plan of all the big guys now
It was not all roses before. T-Mobile used to have crappy coverage. I had them earlier, but coverage was terrible.

Now the coverage HERE is so much better than Verizon (none basically) ATT (couple bars, maybe even with a booster antenna). T-mobile has a tower on our mountain.

Our rate is fine for us, frankly. Plan suits our needs to a T Sure US Mobile looks cheaper. Maybe explore.

What towers do they use?
Do they have free Canada?
Italy/Israel coverage is how much more?

While this may change, Mint Mobile probably is the only company that has not tried to take advantage (cheat) me during the past 3 years.

It was not all roses before. T-Mobile used to have crappy coverage. I had them earlier, but coverage was terrible.

Now the coverage HERE is so much better than Verizon (none basically) ATT (couple bars, maybe even with a booster antenna). T-mobile has a tower on our mountain.

Our rate is fine for us, frankly. Plan suits our needs to a T Sure US Mobile looks cheaper. Maybe explore.

What towers do they use?
Many years back T-Mobile was terrible. That's all changed now. If you lived on Long Island NY it truly was a 3rd rate company. My have they matured.
I'll keep in short (for a change?) *LOL* There are two threads on this that answers all your questions which is this thread and the one by @14Accent where he first posted about his switch to US Mobile. Im just confirming everything he posted.

If you're happy with your plan then that plan is right for you. For my wife and I we have the same coverage, same amount of data that we use, same service (should we want T-Mobile network but right now chose Verizon network) and pay $33 for the two lines. We have nothing less than we had with T-Mobile so there is no reason for us to give them $80 a month for what we now pay $33. However if you use whatever it is for that $80 I guess it's a different ball game for the user.

That is the actual payment. For those who don't know I use actual payment because I see lots of postings about MVNOs where the advertised price is PLUS TAXES AND FEES. It's why my posts always say the monthly actual payment. I don't by service from companies that add fees in order to be a customer of theirs.

Your questions answered below and also addressed in this thread and the other one.
US Mobile offers two options - "Warp" labeled service is provided by Verizon and "GSM" labeled service is provided by T-Mobile network. @14Accent first brought this up if I remember correctly and I am just confirming his post/ actually his thread. I can honestly say this is the first time on BITOG that someone is saving us a boatload of money instead of me them. US Mobile wasn't on my radar, though I would have most likely have gone back to Red Pocket (another great MVNO) but US Mobile is even better.

I elected the "Warp" service because I never had, in my 22 years of cell phones used Verizon except for a second business phone provided by my employer some year back.
I believe in these thread I posted speed tests and you can clearly see using the "Warp" service I am on Verizon towers as the speed test show the network. Also my cell phone simply shows "Verizon" under the cell phone settings.

Cool part is, again, learned from @14Accent I can go online to my US Mobile account using my computer and switch networks to T-Mobile if I chose! I don't even have to make a phone call. Very cool.

You would have to go to their website to see Canada and Mexico All the information is there. Since I don't go to those places I have bothered. We do get some international service but again, not a concern for us. We will be in the Philippines later this year but from what I see on my online US Mobile account I can purchase for a reasonable price another eSim and buy the data I would need over there for about $20 that lasts a month. Again, I didn't look into it any further because it's not a concern for us.

The website I believe does explain about international options. The reason I am not concerned, lets say for a trip where we are going is I can buy an eSim overseas but it seems US Mobile makes it much more easy if they just handle it, meaning I get off the place and it just works over there. But *LOL* last time, if international is important you would want to go to their website and check it out. They have MANY options for service.

Is there a way or chart that shows who uses what towers? Mint? US Mobile?

AFAIK know many towers are owned by REIT companies, leased to carriers???
AS posted, Mint is T-Mobile, actually T-Mobile now owns Mint, there pricing does not include taxes and fees.
I explained above the US Mobile towers, you have a choice of T-Mobile and Verizon it will even be confirmed as it will show up as those companies in your cell phone settings. When I click "Carrier Services" under "Cellular" on my iPhone if shows "Verizon Services" as I selected US Mobile "Warp" service.

What towers do they use?

Mint is probably not the way to go if you are looking for one carrier to also provide international coverage.

I've not yet traveled internationally with Mint, so I can only speak to what I see in the Mint app. There is a section for a "Minternational" pass where you can buy 1, 3 or 10 day passes and activate them when needed. You can store two passes and have one active.

If one has an unlocked dual SIM phone, one might be better off with AirALO or a similar eSIM company for infrequent international travel.

Regarding Canada, about a month ago they announced free roaming in Canada.

Back