T-Mobile Raises Rates

The timing of this announcement is interesting as it is shortly after the deal for TMO to acquire Mint got approved.

I prefer to buy my phones unlocked directly from the manufacturer and use MVNOs instead of dealing directly with one of the Big 3 carriers.

I've got Visible by Verizon, $25 unlimited voice, data, text and a single item can be hot spotted.

The twist? Lower priority on the network, but the network isn't saturated where I use my phone.
If you go anywhere that there are crowds, such as sporting events, concerts, highways that have an accident that has traffic stopped-you will be throttled.

If I already had T-mobile I would switch over to there Connect pre-paid plan

View attachment 220791

It's a no-frills plan with QCI 6 (highest priority data). Some of their other plans (Essentials) are on lower priority QCI 7.

I didn't realize that the $15 a month plan now has 5GB of data. Mint (now owned by T-Mobile) offers a 5GB $15 dollar a month plan when purchased annually. That plan is on QCI 7 and requires a 12 month commitment. I would definitely choose the connect plan instead.

I've been on Red Pocket for several years now. $240/year, 10GB/month GCMA or 8GB/month CDMA. Excellent service. I use AT&T's network, and no issues.
I can back you up on this, we used Red Pocket for gosh, maybe more than 6 years on ATT. Perfect service. 2 years back we switched to TMobile on a promotion that gave us two new iPhone 13s plus Magenta+ 55 pricing. That ended just a month ago and thought I might switch, then just about 48 hours ago I get a text message that TMobile "breaking with tradition" is going to raise rates for existing customers. Less than 24 hours later I switched to US Mobile. Best deal for my wife and I. But RedPocket is still another great option. my daughter, now grown and on her own, kept the Red Pocket service we USED to pay for and buys like you, one year in advance. Same great service.

Update on our new US Mobile Service:
In another thread @14Accent recommended US Mobile. He was RIGHT, I thanked him I hope! I remembered his post and when TMobile raised my rate I chose them over Red Pocket only because US Mobile plan worked best for me. I want to stress Red Pocket is also another GREAT MVNO.

Ok, so now (update) almost 24 hours into my new US Mobile service I chose for the first time in my 22 years of having a cell phone to be on the Verizon network for fun. Always in the past was MVNOs using ATT which is great and last two years TMobile, also good. (also a 4 year period of Sprint back around 2004)
With US Mobile you can select TMobile (GSM) or Verizon (warp) also note as others posted, I can at anytime, simply log into my account and switch between the two! How cool.

Ok, so the service is great for the last 19 hours. Darn it, it was soooo easy to switch from TMobile to USMobile. Not even a phone call. I switch providers with my home computer. Signed up with US Mobile, entered my information, then went to TMobile and got my "transfer pin" entered it into the US Mobile site and within maybe 15 minutes my phone was live. I did the same with my wife's phone. I should have did her phone first because since the TMobile account was in my name, I lost access to my account once I switched and needed to get a transfer pin for her, so we did have to make a call to TMobile for the pin.

Ok, so the service with my new US Mobile "warp service" is great like any other service. I will say, to my ears with ringing in them 24 hours a day. The Warp Verizon service voices sound more crisp and easy to understand. Dont misunderstand me, all voice service I always had was great but I did notice a bit more treble in the Verizon service which I find pleasing.

A photo of my plan. I chose pay for what I need. I know the data my wife and I use never exceeds 12 GB a month so I chose that plan.
TOTAL COST FOR BOTH LINES, INCLUDING TAXES, FEES = ACTUAL PAYMENT IS $33 A MONTH. (BOTH LINES or @ $16.50 a line) Freaking amazing.
Im saving $470 a year over T-Mobile Magenta 55 plan for two lines.

Here you go! (screen shot of the plan I took with two lines is $33 a month, all fees and taxes included)
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 10.36.06 AM.jpg

Source = (and scroll down the page) https://www.usmobile.com/plans

PS!
Oh, was at a bar on the beach last night, (another biker week here) ...
First let me say I do not give a RAT about speed on my cell phone, ANYTHING over 10Mbps is great on a cell phone...

Did a speed test with the new US Mobile Verizon service this was on LTE not even a 5g service tower in this location >>>
IMG_8046.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you're happy with the switch! Since I've got nothing to do today, I decided to do a network switch to VZW just for fun. I'm going to give it a shot for the next month or so, by which time hopefully AT&T will be available. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up back on TMO, however AT&T has a lot of rural coverage out by me....

Update on our new US Mobile Service:
In another thread @14Accent recommended US Mobile. He was RIGHT, I thanked him I hope! I remembered his post and when TMobile raised my rate I chose them over Red Pocket only because US Mobile plan worked best for me. I want to stress Red Pocket is also another GREAT MVNO.

Ok, so now (update) almost 24 hours into my new US Mobile service I chose for the first time in my 22 years of having a cell phone to be on the Verizon network for fun. Always in the past was MVNOs using ATT which is great and last two years TMobile, also good. (also a 4 year period of Sprint back around 2004)
With US Mobile you can select TMobile (GSM) or Verizon (warp) also note as others posted, I can at anytime, simply log into my account and switch between the two! How cool.

Ok, so the service is great for the last 19 hours. Darn it, it was soooo easy to switch from TMobile to USMobile. Not even a phone call. I switch providers with my home computer. Signed up with US Mobile, entered my information, then went to TMobile and got my "transfer pin" entered it into the US Mobile site and within maybe 15 minutes my phone was live. I did the same with my wife's phone. I should have did her phone first because since the TMobile account was in my name, I lost access to my account once I switched and needed to get a transfer pin for her, so we did have to make a call to TMobile for the pin.

Ok, so the service with my new US Mobile "warp service" is great like any other service. I will say, to my ears with ringing in them 24 hours a day. The Warp Verizon service voices sound more crisp and easy to understand. Dont misunderstand me, all voice service I always had was great but I did notice a bit more treble in the Verizon service which I find pleasing.

A photo of my plan. I chose pay for what I need. I know the data my wife and I use never exceeds 12 GB a month so I chose that plan.
TOTAL COST FOR BOTH LINES, INCLUDING TAXES, FEES = ACTUAL PAYMENT IS $33 A MONTH. (BOTH LINES or @ $16.50 a line) Freaking amazing.
Im saving $470 a year over T-Mobile Magenta 55 plan for two lines.

Here you go! (screen shot of the plan I took with two lines is $33 a month, all fees and taxes included)
View attachment 220897
Source = (and scroll down the page) https://www.usmobile.com/plans

PS!
Oh, was at a bar on the beach last night, (another biker week here) ...
First let me say I do not give a RAT about speed on my cell phone, ANYTHING over 10Mbps is great on a cell phone...

Did a speed test with the new US Mobile Verizon service this was on LTE not even a 5g service tower in this location >>>
View attachment 220899

FYI don't do a speed test if you're on 5G UW, it can use up to .5gb or more during the test.

Glad you're happy with the switch! Since I've got nothing to do today, I decided to do a network switch to VZW just for fun. I'm going to give it a shot for the next month or so, by which time hopefully AT&T will be available. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up back on TMO, however AT&T has a lot of rural coverage out by me....
We always liked ATT and we a switch to it if US Mobile ever offers it. That is of course if I find Verizon lacking which I don’t see you happening, but you never know.
Before I recently retired, I used to drive approximately 15,000 miles a year during my workday in every corner of the state of South Carolina and the border states. This included some of the most rural backward places as you can imagine where I was afraid if I have a broke down, they may never find me again. LOL

I had two phones, my work phone was Verizon and my personal phone was ATT with Red Pocket. There were times in these backwoods places that AT&T would work and Verizon wouldn’t and other times Verizon would and AT&T wouldn’t. However, personally, when I was in those areas, I would resort to my personal ATT service before the Verizon for some reason.
Anyway, this blew out the myth that Verizon had better coverage in the areas I traveled anyway

The un carrier has just become a regular carrier now that they’re so big.
I just got a text message, pretty much they broke with tradition and prices are no longer grandfathered in.
Our rate is going up five dollars per line per month.

I knew it would be just a matter of time as once a company gets big enough they can start grabbing more profit.

I guess time to check out Redpocket (of which I previously had for many years and my daughter still ) and USMobile. But may wait until 2025 as I have a big trip end of the year I’m not sure I want to mess around being T-Mobile gives me airplane data . But I may switch as. T-Mobile was so obnoxious as to give less than a two week notice with memorial day in between.

I can pay roughly $600 less a year using US mobile and maybe red pocket after this price increase
So be specific here hoss.

We have not received any texts or emails on our T-mob rates. Wife looked. Nothing.

What plan? Rate? From and to.

I was worried, but what dates are you talking about? Ancient plan???

We always liked ATT and we a switch to it if US Mobile ever offers it. That is of course if I find Verizon lacking which I don’t see you happening, but you never know.
Before I recently retired, I used to drive approximately 15,000 miles a year during my workday in every corner of the state of South Carolina and the border states. This included some of the most rural backward places as you can imagine where I was afraid if I have a broke down, they may never find me again. LOL

I had two phones, my work phone was Verizon and my personal phone was ATT with Red Pocket. There were times in these backwoods places that AT&T would work and Verizon wouldn’t and other times Verizon would and AT&T wouldn’t. However, personally, when I was in those areas, I would resort to my personal ATT service before the Verizon for some reason.
Anyway, this blew out the myth that Verizon had better coverage in the areas I traveled anyway

I had tried T-Mobile service in the past. More dead zones than coverage in my rural small town.
The most important criteria for me is full coverage everywhere.
I always want to be fully reachable by my family, so I chose a carrier with the least amount of dead zones in my town.

AT&T seems to be the winner for least dead zones. When I first moved here in 2013, I asked my real estate guy who spent most of his day in his car driving prospective home buyers to look at homes in the middle of nowhere what service was best here, and he said AT&T.
I ended up asking several other locals who all gave that same answer. I got grandfathered into an AT&T small business plan, but 2 months ago my rate went up $5 per phone line. It's a shame that they are raising prices on the loyal long term customers.

My brother bought a Moto G Power under his AT&T plan. He bought the phone through Amazon. He couldn't get WiFi calling to work although that phone is capable of it. He finally got to a senior AT&T technician who told him WiFi calling works for that phone only if you bought it directly from AT&T. Sucks to find that out after the fact.

Yea, AT&T has been pulling that crap for a while now, same thing happened to me on Firstnet (AT&T LEO Subisidary). I was able to switch over to an AT&T sim at the time and make it work. Of course, now they take that ability (To switch sim cards) away and even though I have a 5G phone on the network, I can't swap back to a Firstnet 'Black' SIM card because I didn't get the phone from them and instead bought it unlocked straight from Motorola.

I put up with it because I'm on a $55 unlimited plan that allows tethering, but it is still crap.

I also have T-Mobile. I got the text message that as of June the rate goes up $5 per line. They give me a low level of Netflix for no charge and I also got the MLB season package which is over $100 for free. Nice perk.

We have not received any texts or emails on our T-mob rates. Wife looked. Nothing.

It was one of those auto texts, I actually thought it was spam or phishing at first.

IMG_8814.jpeg

I have the latest plan. Go5G I think the plus, whichever gives full unlimited wifi on flights and real 5G international data. Most of their claims otherwise are misleading. Like just a few airline wifi passes per year, and unlimited data at 3G speeds like 128k, and deprioritized so you can barely load sites like BITOG let alone do much else. But I’m happy with our plan given how poor ATT was working in a variety of places.

I know some of those have posted by now, but here you go, boss! 🙃

We don’t have some outdated antiquated plan. We’re only been customers of T-Mobile for two years. It’s the magenta 55+ plan.
With that said in the last few months, I believe T-Mobile has now turned that into an antiquated plan. All part of their restructuring to increase rates and wow, did they ever. I am loving, excuse me my wife and I are loving our US mobile service. Fantastic no different from any other. US mobile Now saves us $470 a year for our two lines versus T-Mobile’s new price.

“T-Mobile: For the first time in nearly a decade, we're making a change to the price of some of our monthly service plans. Starting on 06/05/24, your rate plan(s) will increase by $5 per line per month. You'll keep all the benefits you currently enjoy, and your rate plan type and bill due date remain the same. For more information, visit sms.t-mobile.com/VwXfF6oL”

I know some of those have posted by now, but here you go, boss! 🙃

We don’t have some outdated antiquated plan. We’re only been customers of T-Mobile for two years. It’s the magenta 55+ plan.
With that said in the last few months, I believe T-Mobile has now turned that into an antiquated plan. All part of their restructuring to increase rates and wow, did they ever. I am loving, excuse me my wife and I are loving our US mobile service. Fantastic no different from any other. US mobile Now saves us $470 a year for our two lines versus T-Mobile’s new price.

“T-Mobile: For the first time in nearly a decade, we're making a change to the price of some of our monthly service plans. Starting on 06/05/24, your rate plan(s) will increase by $5 per line per month. You'll keep all the benefits you currently enjoy, and your rate plan type and bill due date remain the same. For more information, visit sms.t-mobile.com/VwXfF6oL”
Thanks. Interesting. We've been with them since Nov 2022. Magenta 55+. No text yet!

Never any text. No price hike. Yet.

T mobile reception here generally is good compared to the others
Yeah, we were generally OK with T-Mobile service too. it used to have a horrible reputation on Long Island but let’s face it. Their upgrades have turned them into almost the number one carrier now.

Anyway US mobile offers T-Mobile service under what is labeled the GSM service and Verizon under the Warp service.
As my posts indicate we’re trying the Verizon because in over two decades, I never had a Verizon service and I was curious.
Phone conversations are a bit more crisp I can’t say it’s better. I can’t say it’s slightly different and might be better for my ringing ears.

With that said, I can log into my US mobile account and switch back to T-Mobile service at $33 a month for two lines, including all taxes and fees. AKA $33 actual payment for both lines. I chose 12gb shared data

Last edited:
@Pablo
Per my posts above in my iPhone setting under the cell data it shows Verizon
This is because I chose US Mobiles “Warp” service
I’m as sure as I can be if I choose their “GSM” service it will show TMobile

If you’re into technology and computers, what’s even more cool? Is my US mobile online account. I can do anything there and make any changes and service. Actually that’s how I switched over to begin with.
The process of switching carriers has come a long way in the last decade

Back