Synthetic Oil Leftovers - What OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
It was a question. If you know better you should say so instead of just saying "what". Maybe one day I can be a super bitoger like you haha

What do you mean "isn't sodium actually a type of calcium"?

I only have a minor in chemistry so be gentle.
Someone stayed out that day when the Periodic Table was discussed in science room.

I'd probably do it for an old slant six beater, but not for anything new that I planned to last a while. It's the stingy man who pays the most.

OK well I'm proud for ya if that's what your looking for
grin.gif

I just thought I read somewhere that it said that but wasn't sure. That's why it was in the form of a question.

If you look at the periodic table of elements I posted, sodium and calcium are different elements. Oftentimes (not always), elements in the same vertical column will have similar chemical and physical properties (for example, silicon and germanium are vertical neighbors and both are used in similar ways in semiconductor applications), but sodium and calcium are not in the same column. Magnesium and calcium are in the same column, and it seems that Mobil 1 and Castrol use more magnesium and less calcium than other oils in their formulations...I think both elements fulfill similar roles in engine oil (hoping Molakule can enlighten further on this topic).

OK well I'm proud for ya if that's what your looking for
grin.gif

I just thought I read somewhere that it said that but wasn't sure. That's why it was in the form of a question.

Well, actually I thought maybe you had information that in a motor oil they acted similarly in terms of their effect.

ginally Posted By: volk06
Most oils with sodium have a large dose of calcium also. Sodium is an alternative to boron in oil formulations.

Sodium, calcium, and magnesium can play the same role as metal in a detergent but boron cannot. However it can be part of the detergent to impart different properties to the detergent. Boron is not a metallic element

I guess this is what made me think that. It appears their not in the same category. Lol not my field

I got a frnkinstien brew waiting for next Oci. Left over a qt of Amsoil ss , 2qts Castrol syntec , 1qt qsgb , 1/4qt supertech syn. All 5w20. I plan on doing the 7500 suggested Oci with it. I already mixed it all together in an old 5qt jug so there's no turning back now lol. I'll let y'all know if something blows up. I did for the fun of it add up the add pack quantities and compared to some voas. The numbers concerning just additives looks just about like m1. I dunno jack about base oils or undetectable additives.

Last edited:
OP here - While I mixed all the oil into a 5 qt. jug I have not actually used the oil yet ... Maybe I'll just save the jug for topping off the oil in the stable of vehicles that live at my house and go buy the wife what ever name brand synthetic is on rollback price at WM
smile.gif

6000 miles is a short oci only.

I just put a leftover quart each of edge 5w-40 FST, Magnatec B4 5w-40, Magnatec Professional C3 5w40 and Shell Helix Ultra extra diesel 5w30 together for my oil change. I didn't hange the filter, so that was filled with Total. That's my leftovers all used up now

I'll be putting about 10k on the frankenbrew...

After reading all the suggestions here, the answer is clear.
You should definitely mix them.
No you shouldn't.
Yes.
No. Yes, wait, no. Yes.

I don't have a fear of mixing oils - to an extent. But isn't Mobil 1 using less calcium and more magnesium whilst SOPUS uses mainly calcium as detergents? I don't believe in additives "clashing" to any extent, but wouldn't that be less than ideal?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Mixing all that is fine, since all their additives come from Infineum, jointly owned by Shell (SOPUS-Pennz-Quaker) and Exxon-Mobil.

Unilever makes food and cleaning products. Are those okay to mix because they come from the same company?

We're talking about oil.

The argument you made is that common origin means mixing is fine. That's fallacious.

Whether they mix well is completely independent of where they came from.

Originally Posted By: Amsoil
Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Originally Posted By: Mobil 1
the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it.

Originally Posted By: Pennzoil
It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.

LINK
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D6922.htm

ASTM D6922 - 13

Standard Test Method for Determination of Homogeneity and Miscibility in Automotive Engine Oils
Active Standard ASTM D6922 | Developed by Subcommittee: D02.B0

5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

I too have gone back and forth on this topic.

Originally Posted By: Bud
When someone can show me actual proof, not just opinion, that mixing oils is harmful, then I will stop. Nothing wrong with it.

Who said anything about "harmful?"

So many people are talking in this thread as though the only two alternatives are "it'll work well" and "it'll wreck your engine." Not true.

Mixing oils willy-nilly will never break an engine. At worst, it just won't be as good as using just one properly-specced oil straight-up. At best, it will be about the same. Yeah, neither outcome is catastrophic. At the same time, you can't predict the outcome, and odds are it's going to be less good than the real thing. That's the point. No more, no less.

As for why mixed oils might not be as good as single oils, I'll just say additive clash is (usually misunderstood but) not really controversial. Google it if you're interested.

Originally Posted By: Bud
When someone can show me actual proof, not just opinion, that mixing oils is harmful, then I will stop. Nothing wrong with it.

I've brought stuff to BITOG a number of times showing that it CAN be harmful, while you are after a blanket IS ALWAYS harmful.

Big difference.

The miscibility standard ensures only that they are miscible, and don't split like a dodgy salad dressing or form chunks/precipitates...it doesn't test nor guarantee any other facet of the engine oil's performance.

That's the standard definition of "compatible".

There HAVE been some failures, documented failures where the low temperature properties of mixed oils haven't played well together, and the mixed oils have failed to pump, causing failures at quite high ambients.

Yes they are rare, can't say always, but the best, and easiest defence is not to be there.

If in a temperate climate where you aren't testing even the lower limits of 20W, mix anything, and you will never have a problem.

If you are in a climate where you NEED your 5W to be a 5W, then best course is to pick an oil that's right, and use it.

After following the forum for years, the general con census is that if you mix within the same line, you are 'okay' but mixing between brands can get you in 'trouble'. This is statement is not something that is set in stone but a general consensus.

Personally I mix M1 with M1 and see great results but I can not say the same for M1 and something else as I have not actively tried it.

Gosh, to think that I was worried about the brew of Mobil1 0W20 EP and Mobil1 5W20 brewed up over the three day weekend. Sometimes you just need a container for the drain oils and these blends happen. Thanks to BITOG I can sleep well tonight.

Oh, wait a minute... I put the brew in the 5W20 container, but it's not a 5W20 any longer! I had better run right out to the garage and label that brew, otherwise I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
If you are in a climate where you NEED your 5W to be a 5W, then best course is to pick an oil that's right, and use it.

The way I purchase oil, I'm usually not even mixing different lot numbers from one oil change to the next, let alone different brands or lines or viscosities.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back